PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College Football upset of the Century: Arkansas 50-LSU 48

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did height become a handicap? McFadden IS a powerful runningback. He was running it between the tackles for 5 yards a pop. And when the game was on the line he was clutch. 205 yards and 3 TDs!! What more do you want, for him to butter and slice your toast for you??

Agreed, from the way Sebman talks it sounds like only midgets can be good NFL RBs. That's completely backwards from the way most people traditonally think about RBs. You want big strong guys like a 6'2 220 lb McFadden pounding that pigskin on the ground and killing that clock. Not only can McFadden run between the tackles but he can also hit the homerun TD anytime he gets daylight.

205 isn't only the number of yards Mr. McFadden ran for today, it is also the number of pounds he weighs. I have zero clue where you got the 6'2" 220 number, but every single source I've seen (including the Arkansas media guide... a medium which is usually significantly more friendly to measurables) says he is 6'2" 205. That is tall and lanky for an NFL running back. For a college back, okay, fine, he can run between the (often ~250 lb.) tackles and gain five yards a carry. In the NFL, he's going to be dealing with linebackers who are larger than the tackles he ran against in college.

If you were operating on the mistaken assumption that McFadden weighs 220 lbs, I'm sorry to shatter your dreams. To be an NFL back, he'll have to put on 15 lbs... thus weakening what makes him special, his speed to the outside and third and fourth gears. McFadden is not comparable to Peterson because he doesn't run with the same downhill force; he isn't comparable to Lynch because he doesn't run with the mindset to punish would-be tacklers.

Last edited:
I can't believe people are acting like that wasn't THAT great of a performance by him. I know we probably won't have the cap room to draft such a guy but if it was ever possible I would love to see him in a Pats uni. He did what he did today against the #1 team in the country with a supposedly great defense.

Last edited:
from the pick i like mcfadden, but ive never seen him play...

either way, from wut i hear, its all the same things we said about maroney when he got drafted, powerful enough to run between the tackles, and a home run hitter....

either way, u never know with rb's....so its really up for grabs

but i like maroney's build better then McFadden's....

from the pick i like mcfadden, but ive never seen him play...

either way, from wut i hear, its all the same things we said about maroney when he got drafted, powerful enough to run between the tackles, and a home run hitter....

either way, u never know with rb's....so its really up for grabs

but i like maroney's build better then McFadden's....
McFadden is definitely better then Maroney. I didn't see dancing in the backfield and hesitation behind the line of scrimmage by McFadden today.

I can't believe people are acting like that wasn't THAT great of a performance by him. I know we probably won't have the cap room to draft such a guy but if it was ever possible I would love to see him in a Pats uni. He did what he did today against the #1 team in the country with a supposedly great defense.

The question isn't, was that a great performance, but rather, how does his game translate to the NFL. IMO, not well, because he is so lanky. Someone else mentioned it, but I expect him to be a Jerrious Norwood type in the NFL - a KR and outside running threat - not a stud like Lynch or Peterson.

The question isn't, was that a great performance, but rather, how does his game translate to the NFL. IMO, not well, because he is so lanky. Someone else mentioned it, but I expect him to be a Jerrious Norwood type in the NFL - a KR and outside running threat - not a stud like Lynch or Peterson.
He is no more lanky than AD. He's an inch shorter and about the same weight. They both have fairly thin legs (comparatively), but that hasn't stopped a lot of RBs.

Another thing to consider, he's got quite a bit of time between the end of the year (especially since Arkansas isn't in a BCS bowl or anything) and his first NFL season to bulk up some and get more NFL ready. Routinely, top draft picks work their ass off (at least until the Combine/Pro Days) to add that extra 5-10 pounds of muscle, shed .1 off their forty, or drop fat (if they're linemen). It wouldn't surprise me to see McFadden tip the scales at something like 6'1" and 225 pounds come Arkansas' Pro Day.

If you were operating on the mistaken assumption that McFadden weighs 220 lbs, I'm sorry to shatter your dreams. To be an NFL back, he'll have to put on 15 lbs... thus weakening what makes him special, his speed to the outside and third and fourth gears. McFadden is not comparable to Peterson because he doesn't run with the same downhill force; he isn't comparable to Lynch because he doesn't run with the mindset to punish would-be tacklers.

You haven't shattered my dreams. I was watching the game, something you apparently haven't done, and the announcer said that McFadden weighed around 220-225. The media guide probably lists what he weighed at the beginning of the year. A lot can change from the beginning of the year to the second to last game of the year considering the workout programs these young men go through.

McFadden looked a lot beefier than 205 just from watching him in the game. I'm pretty sure the announcer had no reason to lie and call Mcfadden 220, he certainly looked it. I would not be at all surprised to see McFadden tip the scales at 220+ come his Pro Day and/or the Combine.

There is no way McFadden is 205 and the combine in February will attest to that. Even if he wasn't, 10 pounds added isn't going to diminish 4.3 speed. I'm not sure if you people are just trying to convince yourself that DMC isn't that good so aren't bothered by the Patriots not drafting him or what but some of this talk is ridiculous? Jerious Norwood comparisons are being thrown around now? Just because you watched this one game against LSU and saw him running out of unusual sets like QB doesn't mean his abilities aren't going to translate to the next level. Does he run at the pad level APete does? No but I don't think anyone in the league does. Put him and Marshawn Lynch in the same draft and DMC is taken ahead every time. Look its fine if your against the Patriots taking him for financial reasons or other positional needs, but please recognize he is a stud.

DMC=Jerious Norwood! Hahahahaha! The only question mark I have heard were about his feet being deformed. That's it. He can run low. He runs high once he's in space. He is plenty big enough. Maroney was under 210lbs when he played at Minn. Maroney gained weight. This guy shreds SEC defenses anually. Arkansas won eight games this season and would have won maybe four if DMC was not there. He gave Arkansas a bowl game. Maseda17 said "Look its fine if your against the Patriots taking him for financial reasons or other positional needs, but please recognize he is a stud".

Last edited:
This game was amazing. Great play from both teams all the way down to the stretch. There was one player that really stuck out for Arkansas and that was Darren McFadden. He gets the game MVP. Flynn also stuck out to me as a great performer for LSU, it's too bad his national championship hopes ended with an interception. But there has to be one winner, and that is Arkansas.
"Upset of the century"...? Puh-leeze. This isn't even one of the top 2 upsets from college football this season, forget about century.

205 isn't only the number of yards Mr. McFadden ran for today, it is also the number of pounds he weighs. I have zero clue where you got the 6'2" 220 number, but every single source I've seen (including the Arkansas media guide... a medium which is usually significantly more friendly to measurables) says he is 6'2" 205. That is tall and lanky for an NFL running back. For a college back, okay, fine, he can run between the (often ~250 lb.) tackles and gain five yards a carry. In the NFL, he's going to be dealing with linebackers who are larger than the tackles he ran against in college.

You just answered my question on why he wasn't on the field running in the two point conversion or the critical third down play.

Lynch is 2 inches shorter than Mcfadden. So I guess 6' is your cutoff? He generalized all taller backs. I gave two examples that are taller and are studs. They have different styles, but any of the three "tall" RBs are franchise RBs.

Lynch is 5'11" not 6'. I was just pointing out that Lynch (who I really liked coming out of the draft) isn't built at all like McFadden, and isn't what I would consider a "tall" back.

When did height become a handicap? McFadden IS a powerful runningback. He was running it between the tackles for 5 yards a pop. And when the game was on the line he was clutch. 205 yards and 3 TDs!! What more do you want, for him to butter and slice your toast for you??

Agreed, from the way Sebman talks it sounds like only midgets can be good NFL RBs. That's completely backwards from the way most people traditonally think about RBs. You want big strong guys like a 6'2 220 lb McFadden pounding that pigskin on the ground and killing that clock. Not only can McFadden run between the tackles but he can also hit the homerun TD anytime he gets daylight.

I never said height was a handicap, putting words in my mouth much?
I didn't say McFadden can't run with power either, I just don't believe him to be as powerful as Peterson. I also tried to point out to you that ALL of Arkansas RB's had very good games, and the other two backs had better YPC. They are running behind one heck of an offensive line, if you can't understand what I'm getting to.

WHo said only midgets can be successful in the NFL? I'm a big Corey Dillon fan and have been since he was in college. How big was he again? Corey did have a massive lower body though, which the 205lbs (not 220lbs) Darren McFadden doesn't. I've talked about Jonathan Stewart and how I think he could be a decent option for NE, is he a midget, and small?

Last edited:
Really? They look pretty similar to me. If anything, Mcfadden looks bigger.

mcfadden.jpg

2004peterson_pool.jpg

I've seen them play a number of times, McFadden's lower body is longer and thinner than Peterson's. Their upper bodies seem somewhat simular in size, but I'd rather have the more powerful legs.

Last edited:
Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Ladainian Tomlinson, and Walter Payton say "Hi."

Those are the four best backs of my lifetime, and they are all built low to the ground.

Nice to see someone else who realizes this. Emmitt, and Barry both had massive legs too.

Bo Jackson (6-1), OJ Simpson (6-1), Adrian Peterson (6-2), and Jim Brown (6-2) also say hi!!! You don't have to be a midget that hugs the ground to become a superstar runningback. Next to say hi will be Mr. McFadden (6-2)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST