PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colin Cowherd Just Ripped Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I do not agree with not selecting a pass rusher in the 1st round when we had 2 1st round picks (one of which we got for trading a potential Hall of Fame pass rusher), I am a Jets fan? Don't think so. Just pointing out that being critical of not addressing the pass rush is not illogical and is being addressed even on national ESPN radio.

Since when did ESPN radio produce any intelligent Patriots talk? Those talking heads are paid to stir up controversy and generate ratings, not actually talk football.

I think that there are plenty of quality pass-rushing prospects still left on the board and that I can't really comment further until the end of day 2.

The Patriots clearly see Solder as a franchise LT. There are very few positions more valuable in the NFL than a franchise LT. If he matures into that position, it will be more valuable to the Patriots than almost anyone else they could have gotten at that spot.

Good retort.

You think that Bowers could be a pick at #33? Gronk and Tate did not scare him. Bowers was rated number one at one point. He has enough speed to "elephant" and 15 sacks mean he has skills. Do you Trade for yet another 2012 pick which he will undoubtedly trade yet again? 15 sacks has to have him still alive on most boards, Some Teams have cleared him medically (Pats?).
IMO he is viable to take at #33.
DW Toys

The irony of those bagging on the Solder pick is that I'd be willing to bet that many of these same posters bagged on the Patriots for passing on Clady and trading down a few years ago when Clady went only a few picks later than where Solder went.

Our passrush last year was putrid. If its not addressed today(not much in FA) we will continue with the same problems from the last 3 years. Of course some fans gere think the passrush just magically happens. Amazing how BB's teams with the giants and pats that actually won championships were loaded at LB. Yet we went into the playoffs last year with a journeyman in ninkovich and street fa in moore. Stop telling me with all the draft picks the Pats have had over the years, they couldnt pick 1 player who cab rush the passer. Take a risk for once.

The irony of those bagging on the Solder pick is that I'd be willing to bet that many of these same posters bagged on the Patriots for passing on Clady and trading down a few years ago when Clady went only a few picks later than where Solder went.

Clady is a definite stud. It would be nice if Solder turned out that well. But the fact is the timing wasn't right. The Pats still had Matt Light under contract at that time and he was/is an above average LT. If Solder develops properly, and I believe he has the best chance of doing so under coach Dante, he will be a serious UPGRADE over Matt Light, whose deficiencies have been well documented over the years.

That's true, but how often do we get to enjoy a #17 pick? Normally, we pick in the low part of round 1.
This was the pick we traded Seymour for...so indirectly, we have traded an All-Pro DE in our scheme (who could have helped us advanced in the playoffs the past 2 years) for a developmental player who may be the next Hannah/Armstrong type O-lineman but we will have to wait and see.
Some are saying that this spells the end of Matt Light. Well, if 1st round picks should make us better immediately, than how is Solder is going to do that? The guy can't bench more reps than David Givens and while he has an incredible frame, is nothing more than a finesse tackle at this time.
I don't know as much as most of you, but I don't feel like a better team than 24hrs ago. Having said that, I will hold judgement and not go on suicide watch until AFTER this weekend.

Seymour wasn't staying, get over it.

I was disappointed that they didn't grab a couple of guys that I liked. I advocated going up and using the capital built up to get a play maker.

However, BB has earned the benefit of the doubt for me and should from most Patriots fans. That's why he's longest tenured HC/GM in the NFL, I post on a message board, and Colin Cowherd shoots his mouth off on the radio.

Let's keep our guns in the holters and see what today brings and FA once that starts. A little food for thought:

The Patriots selected Bruschi in the third round (86th overall) of the 1996 NFL Draft, and moved him to linebacker.

Rodney Harrison was drafted in the fifth round of the 1994 draft, (145th overall) by the San Diego Chargers,

And TFB was a 6th rounder , 199 overall.

the last time the Rats did what you say, they drafted Vernot Goatston...:bricks:

They also traded up and drafted Mark Sanchez. They have traded up for Revis. My point was we have like 10 picks every year. Wouldnt mind if we cashed a few in to move up if we target someone. The pats have been pretty good with high picks.

I just listened to him. He compared BB to Howard Hughes, basically saying that some "geniuses" turn into kooks. He threw 4th and 2 out there as a example.

He didn't like the trade out of the first round.

He brought up the name Robert Gallery. suggesting Nate Solder is no sure thing.

He mentioned our inability to get off the field on third down and said we need pass rushers.

He reiterated that he disagreed with the Seymour trade.

Overall it was nothing earth shattering. I will say though, we have three second round picks and if we can start finding some pass rushers in the lower rounds like the Steelers have, then BB will be a "genius" again.

That distinction is already cemented.....Al Davis. To question the draft at this point, is like saying how disappointed you are in how your kid turned out at the age of 6.

Said that it is nice when you buy a new end table, but sooner or later you have to address the fact that your roof is leaking. Said we have no pass rush and this is why we don't win in the playoffs recently. Sooner or later it has to be addressed. Also compared him to Parcells who starting getting full of himself and his press and wasn't very successful in the later part of his career. Let the Colin Cowherd bashing begin, but he did make a number of very good points.

I wouldn't listen to anything ESPN for their analysis of the Pats. You're better off with PFW (patriots football weekly), or just lurking around here. You'll get a much better analysis than someone who is covering this team and 31 other teams plus other general football news.

Remember, we were ranked #8 in points scored against last year. While we were ranked #14 in sacks last year, we were ranked #1 in interceptions. I'd love a brilliant passrusher, but it isn't so easy as picking one up at the store. It's a gift that requires luck in selecting the right player. Plus, there's a huuuge premium in any prospects who show any semblance of rushing the passer well. Which thereby improves the relative value of other draft picks that are passed over.

All that being said, we'll see what free agency brings. Who knows?

Last edited:
That's true, but how often do we get to enjoy a #17 pick? Normally, we pick in the low part of round 1.
This was the pick we traded Seymour for...so indirectly, we have traded an All-Pro DE in our scheme (who could have helped us advanced in the playoffs the past 2 years) for a developmental player who may be the next Hannah/Armstrong type O-lineman but we will have to wait and see.
Some are saying that this spells the end of Matt Light. Well, if 1st round picks should make us better immediately, than how is Solder is going to do that? The guy can't bench more reps than David Givens and while he has an incredible frame, is nothing more than a finesse tackle at this time.
I don't know as much as most of you, but I don't feel like a better team than 24hrs ago. Having said that, I will hold judgement and not go on suicide watch until AFTER this weekend.

We got Mayo with a top ten pick. Besides, if BB uses all of his picks then he won't have anything to trade up in this or any other future draft where he might want to get a top ten. In the moment I always curse about the trades, but when the sense of it sets in then you realize how lucky we are to have BB.

I heard Snooki hated it as well. The Patriots are toast.

I know we say the draft is over on Saturday, but I think we need to make a splash today.

We can't keep hoping to strike it rich in the later rounds, it hasn't worked in the past few years. Since our last Super Bowl, these are the guys we were drafting to rush the passer/set the edge. Ryan Claridge, Jeremy Mincey, Kareem Brown, Justin Rogers, Shawn Crable, Jermaine Cunningham.

The talent drops off considerably after this round. I'm hoping we get two guys for the front seven in this round. I'd like Bowers, but if I want more of a sure thing as a pass-rusher with not as many injury concerns, I'd probably go Reed and hope Bowers continues to fall.

I don't fault BB for not solving the pass rush in the first round of this year's draft.

The PROBLEM is that that is almost impossible to do. That's why you develop players drafted in previous years...unfortunately we have only cunningham. The whiffs on stiffs like crable and the total LACK OF ADDRESSING THIS in year's past is the problem. It's come to a head this year (and last), but it isn't solvable via the draft in one round of one year.

I was HOPING that BB could work some kind of magic with different schemes and get a pass rush that way, but no luck so far.:bricks:

I heard Snooki hated it as well. The Patriots are toast.

o boy, that's pretty damning. I heard BB used to show her his draftboard predraft and make changes based on her keen insights.

NOT!

I know we say the draft is over on Saturday, but I think we need to make a splash today.

We can't keep hoping to strike it rich in the later rounds, it hasn't worked in the past few years. Since our last Super Bowl, these are the guys we were drafting to rush the passer/set the edge. Ryan Claridge, Jeremy Mincey, Kareem Brown, Justin Rogers, Shawn Crable, Jermaine Cunningham.

The talent drops off considerably after this round. I'm hoping we get two guys for the front seven in this round. I'd like Bowers, but if I want more of a sure thing as a pass-rusher with not as many injury concerns, I'd probably go Reed and hope Bowers continues to fall.
Two guys for the front seven coming up:
-- Jarvis Jenkins NT/DE
-- Allen Baily (possible Cunningham clone)

:rocker:

I still don't quite get the obsession with getting a marquee pass rusher. Would it be nice to be able to apply a little more pressure to opposing quarterbacks? Yes. Do we win with the scheme we have? Yes. If Belichick thought that was our most pressing need would he have found a way to take a pass rusher? No doubt.

What is most important to the Patriots is protecting Tom Brady and that's why we have a new left tackle. It's pretty obvious that OL is a huge need and it was addressed. I'm have no idea what Cowherd thinks is wrong with this pick other than it's his job to rant and babble like a lot of other sports talk hosts.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Cowherd's job to elicit responses like this. If you can't be a great analyst you have to stir the pot.

There is a LOT of draft to go. We still have a lot of picks. If the pass rush isn't addressed very soon then I'll go hmmmm...
Indeed ... people on the tv and radio are vilified for having a very shallow amount of sports knowledge or for simply being contrarians attempting to stir the pot in the name of ratings 364 days a year.

Then on day 365 they say something that somebody happens to agree with, and that person suddenly becomes a highly intelligent and insightful analyst.

They also traded up and drafted Mark Sanchez. They have traded up for Revis. My point was we have like 10 picks every year. Wouldnt mind if we cashed a few in to move up if we target someone. The pats have been pretty good with high picks.

(whispering) Grande Mistako with the Sanchez lesson there, Greg.

The Jets traded up with Tampa Bay (via Cleveland) from #17 to #5 to grab Sanchez in the 2009 draft.

*******Guess who TB took at the Jets' original 17th pick?*********

Answer: D'OH!!!

2010 TDs/INT: Freeman-25/6 Sanchez-17/13
2010 Yards: Freeman-3,451 Sanchez-3,291
2010 Rating: Freeman-95.9 Sanchez-75.3

Don't forget, for the trade-up, the Jets also gave away their 2nd round pick.

Back to the drawing board on that one.

Last edited:
Cowherd has a point. There's no question that BB has been unable to find a personnel/playcalling combination to get great pressure on opposing QBs in the past few years. On the other hand, round two is today, and the Patriots have multiple opportunity to address the situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back