PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cleveland Plain-Dealer: Pioli could interview with Chiefs today, then make choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
McDaniels, Tucker make their case for Browns' coaching vacancy; McKay delays interview - Cleveland Browns football NFL News - cleveland.com

McDaniels, Tucker make their case for Browns' coaching vacancy; McKay delays interview
by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter Friday January 02, 2009, 6:11 PM
UPDATED: 10:38 p.m.

Scott Pioli, Lerner's original top choice for the GM position, was scheduled to be interviewed for a similar vacancy with Kansas City on Monday. That interview may be pushed up to Saturday at Pioli's request, however, so that he can make a choice between the Browns and Chiefs, the source said.

Last edited:
It doesn't say choose between the Browns, Chiefs, or Patriots, unfortunately.

That's because the meme is "Pioli's leaving." Some people (e.g., Kirk Ferentz) are smart enough to see that it's not that simple.

Then again, there were reports that Pioli was making almost insane demands from the Browns (what, like naming the stadium after Mrs. Pioli or something? :)).

That's because the meme is "Pioli's leaving." Some people (e.g., Kirk Ferentz) are smart enough to see that it's not that simple.

Then again, there were reports that Pioli was making almost insane demands from the Browns (what, like naming the stadium after Mrs. Pioli or something? :)).

There's already a (New) Dallas (Cowboys) Stadium, though! :D

I actually just came across this article from around XXXIX:

Success gives Pioli staying power - The Boston Globe

"So Scott, are you leaving?" Rodney Harrison asked when he passed Pioli's table during Thursday's mandatory media session.

"Only with you, Rodney," answered Pioli.

Getting more serious, the vice president of player personnel said, "I have a contract that goes through the 2006 draft and I don't have any intentions on going anywhere before that. It doesn't make me uncomfortable when people talk about that because I know what I'm doing and I told people what I'm doing."

Fine. But suppose a team came after Pioli with an offer of complete control and a pile of cash. Would Pioli be allowed to even entertain an offer?

"I haven't had a situation like that come up yet," he said. "I don't know what the rules are. You'd have to ask the owner."

"If a team wanted to talk to him they'd have to send a written request to us to talk to him," said owner Bob Kraft. "Then it would go to Bill and we would either approve it or not approve it. No one has ever sent us a written request. People have talked about him, but no one has ever sent a written note."

As the Cleveland Plain-Dealer appears to be dealing in speculation after the "Browns want a decision today" line two days ago, I will not give the article too much credence and hold my breath on a quick answer from Pioli.

KC is probably a less intriguing opportunity as the head coach is still there. Pioli probably has an idea of what a head coach should be, and Edwards may not fit that model. Do new GM's historically walk in and axe a head coach? On the other hand, as KC has not sniffed the playoffs in years Pioli could prove he is the man if he makes it into a playoff caliber team.

I still am not convinced either Pioli or McDaniels are leaving. I have to believe the position has to be a significant upgrade from their present positions, and has to hold good potential for success at the owner interaction level. I still think Pioli went back to Belichick when he had an opportunity to stick with another organization (the Ravens), so there must be something positive to that relationship. As for McDaniels, he saw Mangini jump ship early as a coordinator and also saw him fired after a couple of years. We'll see where this all goes.

Last edited:
As for McDaniels, he saw Mangini jump ship early as a coordinator and also saw him fired after a couple of years. We'll see where this all goes.

Not to mention what happened to Crennel and what will happen to Weiss if next year isn't a vast improvement on this year. Head coaching jobs are precarious positions. The name is descriptive--your head is always on the line.

Wonder what NEM thinks of McDaniels' possible move ;-)

Last edited:
Not to mention what happened to Crennel and what will happen to Weiss if next year isn't a vast improvement on this year. Head coaching jobs are precarious positions. The name is descriptive--your head is always on the line.

Wonder what NEM thinks of McDaniels possible move ;-)
Anybody seen hide/hair of NEM on any message board, or anywhere else? Just wondering. You'd think these other teams' owners/decision makers would learn that a Patriots coach isn't an automatic great head coach for another team.

Well, at least in Kansas City he'll have job security. They fire people about as often as the Steelers do.

As the Cleveland Plain-Dealer appears to be dealing in speculation after the "Browns want a decision today" line two days ago, I will not give the article too much credence and hold my breath on a quick answer from Pioli.

KC is probably a less intriguing opportunity as the head coach is still there. Pioli probably has an idea of what a head coach should be, and Edwards may not fit that model. Do new GM's historically walk in and axe a head coach? On the other hand, as KC has not sniffed the playoffs in years Pioli could prove he is the man if he makes it into a playoff caliber team.

I still am not convinced either Pioli or McDaniels are leaving. I have to believe the position has to be a significant upgrade from their present positions, and has to hold good potential for success at the owner interaction level. I still think Pioli went back to Belichick when he had an opportunity to stick with another organization (the Ravens), so there must be something positive to that relationship. As for McDaniels, he saw Mangini jump ship early as a coordinator and also saw him fired after a couple of years. We'll see where this all goes.

Not to nitpick...But the Chiefs were 13-3 and the #2 seed in 2003, just missed the playoffs at 10-6 in 2005 and made the playoffs in 2006, so they have "sniffed" the playoffs. And any new GM has the right to ax any coach he wants so that isnt an issue either. The Chiefs would give him full control and its a franchise thats had a rock solid fan base long before the Patriots did.

Is Bob Kraft not going to have a chance to make a final offer after Pioli hears from these other teams? Does Pioli just want out of the Patriots? I guess it's just always about the money:rolleyes:

I think the Chiefs would be an attractive fit for an incoming GM so long as that candidate were given control of the coaching situation. KC will soon be clearing some $35 million off its cap and they are looking at high draft picks in likely each of the next two years. They don't have much talent on the roster, though there is a scattering if decent young players (Hali, Dorsey, Flowers, Pollard, Bowe, Albert, Charles) that could all potentially contribute with the right surrounding talent. I don't think KC has a core in place, which, IMO, makes them a better fit for a new GM.

Cleveland, on the other hand, if full of high paid vets and self declared stars. Whomever takes over that team will have to take over and start from scratch. That person will have to make some potentially unpopular decisions, like dumping Edwards/Winslow for $.50 on the dollar. They have a history of staph infections and meddling ownership. All in all it is not an appealing situation.

I think the Chiefs would be an attractive fit for an incoming GM so long as that candidate were given control of the coaching situation. KC will soon be clearing some $35 million off its cap and they are looking at high draft picks in likely each of the next two years. They don't have much talent on the roster, though there is a scattering if decent young players (Hali, Dorsey, Flowers, Pollard, Bowe, Albert, Charles) that could all potentially contribute with the right surrounding talent. I don't think KC has a core in place, which, IMO, makes them a better fit for a new GM.

Cleveland, on the other hand, if full of high paid vets and self declared stars. Whomever takes over that team will have to take over and start from scratch. That person will have to make some potentially unpopular decisions, like dumping Edwards/Winslow for $.50 on the dollar. They have a history of staph infections and meddling ownership. All in all it is not an appealing situation.
If a guy believes in himself, he must believe that he can make a difference. The state of the players should not be an issue for a new GM. After two years the team will be completely different and he will have a team comprised of his-type players.

However, owners stay, and a bad (meddling or incompetent) owner will make anyone look bad. After Modell, BB looked for a solid owner first. He was smart enough to know that a good owner (Kraft) was the key, and wasn't deterred by the roster. Which he cleared out within two years. Pioli was with Belichick in Cleveland, was he not? He must be aware of the difference between a good owner and a bad one.

To me, KC is the better choice.

If a guy believes in himself, he must believe that he can make a difference. The state of the players should not be an issue for a new GM. After two years the team will be completely different and he will have a team comprised of his-type players.

However, owners stay, and a bad (meddling or incompetent) owner will make anyone look bad. After Modell, BB looked for a solid owner first. He was smart enough to know that a good owner (Kraft) was the key, and wasn't deterred by the roster. Which he cleared out within two years. Pioli was with Belichick in Cleveland, was he not? He must be aware of the difference between a good owner and a bad one.

To me, KC is the better choice.

Good points. Ownership is the ruling factor for a GM making a job decision, not the specifics of the inherited disaster. Remember when BB came here in 2000 he cut lots of guys, some 'name' players. More again in 2001. Early in 2001 the Boston sportswriters were writing BB's career obituary. The fact is that MOST situations where a GM is being sought is because of notable prior failures requiring complete overhalls.

P.S. Spacecrime, are you related to Kevin Spacey? Just asking.

Last edited:
Is Bob Kraft not going to have a chance to make a final offer after Pioli hears from these other teams? Does Pioli just want out of the Patriots? I guess it's just always about the money:rolleyes:

Thats just ridiculous. And unfair to Scott Pioli. Does he have total control here? Has he reached the highest level he can go here?
No.

In Cleveland or KC he can be in total control of the organization. Will he get more money? Of course, but if you were a floor manager at Sears and someone offered you to chance to run JC Penney totally and make more money doing so, would that make you greedy? Of course not.

Pioli has served New England well and he deserves his chance to move up in life.

Thats just ridiculous. And unfair to Scott Pioli. Does he have total control here? Has he reached the highest level he can go here?
No.

In Cleveland or KC he can be in total control of the organization. Will he get more money? Of course, but if you were a floor manager at Sears and someone offered you to chance to run JC Penney totally and make more money doing so, would that make you greedy? Of course not.

Pioli has served New England well and he deserves his chance to move up in life.

That analogy doesn't make any sense; it's like going from the Vice President of Sears to the President of JCPenney. Not from a "floor manager."

Scott Pioli is probably envious of his former underling in Atlanta.

In one year Tom Dimitroff transformed the Falcons into a playoff team.

The fly in the ointment would be if the Browns or Chiefs deny Pioli the

authority to pick his own coach. I think Pioli will walk away from the

money if a coach like Mangini is forced upon him.

That analogy doesn't make any sense; it's like going from the Vice President of Sears to the President of JCPenney. Not from a "floor manager."

Fine. Who has more control and what is the higher position, President or Vice-President ( All jokes about the Bush-Cheney Administration aside)?

Scott Pioli is probably envious of his former underling in Atlanta.

In one year Tom Dimitroff transformed the Falcons into a playoff team.

The fly in the ointment would be if the Browns or Chiefs deny Pioli the

authority to pick his own coach. I think Pioli will walk away from the

money if a coach like Mangini is forced upon him.

I don't think so. Pioli can lay partial claim to one of the greatest teams and Dynasty's in the history of the NFL. Envious? I doubt it, if he was that kinda guy he would have left a long time ago.

i have a hard time believing pioli would take up a job where mangini seems to be also a strong candidate for the coach of the team. maybe their relationship is not bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes