PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clayton -> speculates <- Deion Branch back to NE [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a guy who has averaged 40 catches a year in the last two, has knee issues and has proven to disregard contractual obligations???

I'd start with Stallworth's 1-year deal and add incentives on # snaps, wins, 1st downs and TDs and make it somewhat attainable to what Gaffney got in DEN for a 1 yr ave.

He doesn't like it, he can go somewhere else.

My .02$

The problem there is that he has two years left on his current contract. However, should he come back, I can't see any way that they DON'T restructure that contract.

The problem there is that he has two years left on his current contract. However, should he come back, I can't see any way that they DON'T restructure that contract.

Not sure if you need to make it a 2-year deal for accounting purposes but if SEA cuts him he gets NOTHING anyway. If Deion thinks he can find a better situation for himself, go somewhere else.

No way I dole out a single dime in bonus to him. Anything beyond gameday checks he earns is roster-related or incentives.

This is what happens when you burn bridges on contracts. What goes around comes around.

Last edited:
I's gots to admit, I think it would be really fun to see Deion in a NE uniform again. Or terribly depressing. But most likely really fun.

I am not sure he is the same receiver he was before the knee shredded. He lacks burst coming out of his cuts and the quickness appears diminished.

I am not sure he is the same receiver he was before the knee shredded. He lacks burst coming out of his cuts and the quickness appears diminished.

He's not remotely the same receiver he was before the knee shredded. And the fact remains that one of the overriding issues THIS team had with extending him, let alone to the kind of deal he was demanding in 2005-06, was they already had serious, longstanding durability concerns. Paul Perillo was on WEEI yesterday recalling how they sat him out of most of training camp/pre season in 2005 because he had missed half of 2004 due to injuries and given his 5'9" twig frame they were concerned not only about traumatic injury but cumulative effect. And he was increasingly struggling to beat double teams be was attracting by 2005 which was when they tried to sign Mason as fallback #1 insurance knowing at the time that Givens would be a FA at the end of the season and Meion was already squaking about his contract on the heels of those idiot mediots giving him Brady's 3rd SB MVP.

Not sure if you need to make it a 2-year deal for accounting purposes but if SEA cuts him he gets NOTHING anyway. If Deion thinks he can find a better situation for himself, go somewhere else.

No way I dole out a single dime in bonus to him. Anything beyond gameday checks he earns is roster-related or incentives.

This is what happens when you burn bridges on contracts. What goes around comes around.

If Seattle cuts him, he still collects whatever is left on his signing bonus (I think it's about $6M or so)

If Seattle cuts him, he still collects whatever is left on his signing bonus (I think it's about $6M or so)

I'm researching, but I think SEA paid him everything in terms of guarantees. Hes essentially netted $27m on a 39m deal for an average of almost $7m a season.

From rotoworld..

9/12/2006: Signed a six-year, $39 million contract. The deal includes $13 million guaranteed. 2009: $4.94 million, 2010: $5.47 million, 2011: $5.95 million, 2012: Free Agent. Cap charge: $$7,546,240 (2009).

Re: Clayton -> speculates <- Deion Branch back to NE

do the Pats even have a fourth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back