PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clayton -> speculates <- Deion Branch back to NE [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Clayton -> speculates <- Deion Branch back to NE

So he missed a year and a half? And that's a good thing?

We should toy with branch, getting him to pass up other opportunities saying we're working on something really big but we'll sign him to a good contract...then boom, tell him to get lost! Payback is a ***** and all.:rocker:

No way do we want that turd on our team.

For some reason, I'm beginning to think that bringing Branch back might just be a great idea. Hmm. How could that be, I ask myself?

Re: Branch to Patriots For a 4th Round Pick?

Why would the Patriots do that, unless they were able to get Branch to restructure?

Why would the Patriots do that, unless they were able to get Branch to restructure?

According to Clayton that would be part of the requirement, and said that Branch may be willing to do it for the sake of playing with Brady again - since he was certainly more productive while he was in this offense.

Last edited:

I'll say here what I said in the other threads: if Branch is healthy, he would be better than Sam Aiken. However, that is a huge if. Branch has been more or less playing on one leg since he left New England. I'm not quite sure how much that is going to change.

Yes, Aiken is a Bum. A dinged up Branch is better than him at this point. Hes #3 option for sure.

Moss, Edelman, Branch is a start in the right direction.

According to Clayton that would be part of the requirement, and said that Branch may be willing to do it for the sake of playing with Brady again - since he was certainly more productive while he was in this offense.

That would be an epic portion of crow that Branch would be forced to eat.

If they did trade him, wouldn't the Seahawks be responsible for his signing bonus and the Pats only responsible for his base salary???

100% pure John Clayton speculation at its finest folks :D my post taken from the misleading thread.

Patrick Kerney Out? Deion Branch Back to NE? Clayton and Sando Weigh In - MyNorthwest.com

Sickening. Branch shot his way out of town, he's crippled and old, and Brady "wants him back"? Worth a 4th round pick? Are you NUTS, Henry? He can't even move. He's crippled for god's sake.

I know Brady and him had some kind of special "relationship" but come on, this is getting ridiculous.:(

If they did trade him, wouldn't the Seahawks be responsible for his signing bonus and the Pats only responsible for his base salary???

Whenever a player is traded, the only money that transfers is the base salary and any future bonuses that are due to be paid for the remainder of the contract. For example, if Branch had a roster bonus due after the trade. Any remaining money that counts against the cap that has already been paid to the player like signing bonuses does not transfer in the trade.

All the OP did was point out what Clayton said, and they actually played the audio on air on WEEI and what you've read is exactly what went down.

Quoting Clayton when asked about it:

Patrick Kerney Out? Deion Branch Back to NE? Clayton and Sando Weigh In - MyNorthwest.com

"I think so - I think there is interest, if they play it right, to try and get some draft-choice compensation. Probably the best offer they're going to get is from the New England Patriots - Tom Brady wants Deion back, and if that's the case, they may be willing to offer a 4th round pick to try to get him. Certainly, what they'd probably want to do, is get him to reduce his salary, which I think he would just to try to accommodate some kind of trade and get him back in that region."

So there you have it.

Whenever a player is traded, the only money that transfers is the base salary and any future bonuses that are due to be paid for the remainder of the contract. For example, if Branch had a roster bonus due after the trade. Any remaining money that counts against the cap that has already been paid to the player like signing bonuses does not transfer in the trade.

thank you, does anyone know his base salary???

not sure if deon branch would work. he's 6 years older than his last stint with the pats and he played in an entirely different offense. he might be a good third or 4th receiver but nothing more.

I screwed up. He got hurt on Jan 08. Played again Oct 08. Thats a 8 month recovery time. In 8 games, he had 41 catches. Not too shabby.

He did havea second knee surgery in the 09 offseason which forced him to miss a couple of games.

Too bitter, SAS.....Too bitter.

8 month recovery and in 8 games had 41 catches......Please, pretty please, with a cherry on top let Welker recover in 8 months and produce when he returns.....but then Please, pretty please, with a cherry on top let Welker continue to get healthier and healthier unlike Branch.

not sure if deon branch would work. he's 6 years older than his last stint with the pats and he played in an entirely different offense. he might be a good third or 4th receiver but nothing more.

I think that would obviously be the plan. He's better than a Sam Aiken, etc. which is more or less all they currently have below Edelman. Hence the reason why unless he's willing to swallow his pride and take a low deal if they were to make a deal for him to come back and play here - that's about the only way it would happen.

Last edited:
clayton_is_beaker.jpg

Attachments

• bunsen.jpg
    bunsen.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 60
  • George1.jpg
    George1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
So what do you cap experts think Deion's salary will be reduced down to should he come to New England?

So what do you cap experts think Deion's salary will be reduced down to should he come to New England?

For a guy who has averaged 40 catches a year in the last two, has knee issues and has proven to disregard contractual obligations???

I'd start with Stallworth's 1-year deal and add incentives on # snaps, wins, 1st downs and TDs and make it somewhat attainable to what Gaffney got in DEN for a 1 yr ave.

He doesn't like it, he can go somewhere else.

My .02$

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back