PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Classless Ryan and his game captains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rule 4.Don't have ethical standards. It's really hard to live by them for many people.

Can I share the prize?

:deadhorse:

In these matters (not in the really important stuff like matters of life and death), but in these matters, one person's "ethical standards" are another person's rationalizations.

Last edited:
I see that some people just don't get it. All the talk before or even after the game matters not. The Jets won the game.The Patriots should of had that put away in the first half and they didn't. But that is and will be discussed on other threads.

The point is that Rex is suppose to be a professional football coach. As a professional you NOT bring out a backup QB, who was only signed 2 weeks before after he was released by the team you are playing, and make him a captain. I have never seen this done before and the only reason to do this is to say "F U" to the other coach.

I would feel the same way about this had the Patriots smoked the Jets yesterday. Where is the professional ethics? No matter what profession you are in, you do not try to humiliate your competitor for no reason.

If you do, then you are classless and viewed as a slimeball.

That is the point of this thread.

give me a break...as an nfl coach you do whatever you have to do to win, consistent with the anemic guidelines of the nfl...

bill belichick, whom i admire to the sky and whose enshrinement in the NFL HOF is the only thing that will get me to that absurd ceremony in Canton in the next whatever years (and it will)...bill belichick, who is one of my heroes and whose biography by Halberstam is one of the best books i have ever read, bill belichick has bent the rules every which way, including saying that he "misinterpreted" the taping rule (LOL) and my attitude has always been, what the hell, I'm glad he's on my side, you go, Bill, bend any rule you want, just keep on winning!!!

Few who knew him liked Lombardi. Few who knew him liked Paul Brown. Few outside of Patriots Nation like Bill B. All they do/did is/was win! That's fine by me, I'm just glad he's on my side.

this kind of rhetoric is ridiculous...the aim of an NFL coach is to win...period...that's why I love Belichick and why I won't trash that fat **** Ryan, who is trying to do the same thing...let's just cram it down his effing throat when he comes to Foxboro in November and stop this sanctimonious nonsense.

Last edited:
I cannot believe the patriots fans are calling the Jets classless.

Lets talk class shall we?

Belichick accepts NYJ head coaching job, quit a day later and goes to a division rival.

a few years later, the same exact situation happens again but belichick is on the opposite end. Mangini wants to start his career as a HC, and wants to coach the NYJ, Belichick doesn't like it, Mangini goes anyway to interview, gets the job, and Belichick locks him out of the patriots facility and wont even let him clean out his desk. Hypocrisy, and no class.

2004, in the superbowl the patriots thought it would be hilarious to mock TO's eagle wings routine. How would you guys feel if after Ryan won, he put on a cut sleeve hoodie and went out to belichick to shake hands.

2006 Jets beat the Pats, mangini and BB go to shake hands, mangini leans in to try and say good game, BB breaks off the handshake and doesnt care to listen as he storms off.

2007 superbowl xlii, turnover on downs at the end of the game, there are still a couple of seconds on the clock, the refs are trying to get everyone off the field so eli can kneel it, BB disregards this shakes T coughs hand and is on his way to the tunnel before the game is actually over. Doesnt congratulate players or stick around, leaves his players out there and goes in the tunnel surrounded by security not letting anyone near him.

Not to mention spygate.

2009 Rex and BB go to shake hands, BB doesnt even look him in the face or say a word. He doesnt even look sanchez in the face when he shakes his hand. Dont like the Jets all you want, Sanchez is just as kid, hes always respectful, only his second game, and he gets snubbed by an opposing coach.

Now Ryan, he let O'connell go out as captain because his information was of great help to the jets as Ryan said. I see nothing wrong with him electing 3 patriots as captains for the game, its like, "hey these guys cut you, now show them what we can do" Would you guys consider it classless for Ryan to send out the jets that were apparently talking trash during the week? Players like Kerry Rhodes, Bart Scott, and Kris Jenkins?

Last edited:
I cannot believe the patriots fans are calling the Jets classless.

Lets talk class shall we?

Belichick accepts NYJ head coaching job, quit a day later and goes to a division rival.
Jets negotiating with Parcells while he is still coach of the Patriots and then Parcells, knowing the Patriots salary cap situation gives Curtis Martin a contract with a "poison pill" clause.

a few years later, the same exact situation happens again but belichick is on the opposite end. Mangini wants to start his career as a HC, and wants to coach the NYJ, Belichick doesn't like it, Mangini goes anyway to interview, gets the job, and Belichick locks him out of the patriots facility and wont even let him clean out his desk. Hypocrisy, and no class.
After the Patriots loss to Denver in the playoffs, Mangini was trying to get the Patriot free agents to come sign with the Jets.

2004, in the superbowl the patriots thought it would be hilarious to mock TO's eagle wings routine. How would you guys feel if after Ryan won, he put on a cut sleeve hoodie and went out to belichick to shake hands.
This is just payback for all the smack talk that the Eagles receivers were spouting before the game. If you are going to dish iy out you better take it.

2006 Jets beat the Pats, mangini and BB go to shake hands, mangini leans in to try and say good game, BB breaks off the handshake and doesnt care to listen as he storms off.
Big deal. No rules state how long a handshake should be.

2007 superbowl xlii, turnover on downs at the end of the game, there are still a couple of seconds on the clock, the refs are trying to get everyone off the field so eli can kneel it, BB disregards this shakes T coughs hand and is on his way to the tunnel before the game is actually over. Doesnt congratulate players or stick around, leaves his players out there and goes in the tunnel surrounded by security not letting anyone near him.
He congratulated Coughlin and thought the game was over. Coming back out again would have been awkward. Blame the refs for losing control of the game, not BB.

Not to mention spygate.
Not to mention the Jets were caught by the Patriots taping the year before during the playoffs. The Patriots just stopped it instead of crying to the NFL.

2009 Rex and BB go to shake hands, BB doesnt even look him in the face or say a word. He doesnt even look sanchez in the face when he shakes his hand. Dont like the Jets all you want, Sanchez is just as kid, hes always respectful, only his second game, and he gets snubbed by an opposing coach.
Again, so what? Ryan has done nothing but talk crap about the Patriots since he got to NY. Do you expect a wet sloppy kiss for that?

Now Ryan, he let O'connell go out as captain because his information was of great help to the jets as Ryan said. I see nothing wrong with him electing 3 patriots as captains for the game, its like, "hey these guys cut you, now show them what we can do" Would you guys consider it classless for Ryan to send out the jets that were apparently talking trash during the week? Players like Kerry Rhodes, Bart Scott, and Kris Jenkins?
I don't really see any problem with that.

Jet fans have no right to get on a high horse and have a holier than though attitude. And we don't yell at our female fans to show their breast.

Jet fans have no right to get on a high horse and have a holier than though attitude. And we don't yell at our female fans to show their breast.

Im not on a high horse we are talking about what bill belichick and rex ryan have done. I have never done anything like what those jets fans did, and it is irrelevant in this discussion. If you go to any game you will see the same things or even worse. Just go to a raider game and see a fan get stabbed or thrown down a flight of stairs, or remember that browns game when thousands of fans threw their bottles at the refs? lets not get into discussions over fan behavior, lets keep it on rex and bill

Im not on a high horse we are talking about what bill belichick and rex ryan have done. I have never done anything like what those jets fans did, and it is irrelevant in this discussion. If you go to any game you will see the same things or even worse. Just go to a raider game and see a fan get stabbed or thrown down a flight of stairs, or remember that browns game when thousands of fans threw their bottles at the refs? lets not get into discussions over fan behavior, lets keep it on rex and bill

I agree about the other fan bases but find Charger fans are the worst. I just wanted to show that for every "classless" thing that you brought up about the Patriots,that there was another side to the story. Both the Jets and the Patriots have taken "liberties" with the rules.

Re: Classless Ryan and his game captains.

but acting like an arrogant douche to kolber last week wasn't classless? running off the field early after the giants beat you wasn't classless?
brady running off the field yesterday without shaking hands wasn't classless?
BB blowing off sanchez' handshake wasn't classless? (sanchez didn't even talk one bit of sh*t this week).
brady and BB have been known for being classless.

By Jets fans... there is nothing classless about Brady. He keeps his mouth shut 99.9% of the time and lets other people talk. You really have to be wearing Homer goggles to think Brady is anything but a class act. Think what you want to believe though.

Belichick is, in fact, a pompous ass. He deserves a lot of the flack he gets. He doesn't deserve all of it, but he does for a fair amount of it.

If they don't like Rex Ryan and his mouth, by all means shut him up.

he got a better offer here to run the org, get over it, the Patriots have a better owner and are run better, any coach would rather have a good owner

The same way 90% of the coaches shake hands after a game, did you watch Wade Phillips and Coughlin last night?

a few years later, the same exact situation happens again but belichick is on the opposite end. Mangini wants to start his career as a HC, and wants to coach the NYJ, Belichick doesn't like it, Mangini goes anyway to interview, gets the job, and Belichick locks him out of the patriots facility and wont even let him clean out his desk. Hypocrisy, and no class

Mangini took the job and promised BB he wouldnt go to a division rival, he reneged. BB even promised Mangini he would find him another job if he waited for another opening on another team. He also tried taking some players to be free agents with him not to mention all the things he stole, I would have locked his ass out too. Does Bb go and cry his case to the media, no, these are things people around the team have leaked out, who do you think has the class now?

Last edited:
Guys, I am a Bills fan, and you guys are really over reacting to the situation.

Brady is playing better than a long list of injured QB's that returned from a serious injury.

Brady will eventually be, well, Tom Brady when he mentally returns to form.

The defense, give it more time, that was a lot of changes in a short time frame.

If you guys believe for one second the Patriots will not be there at the end, then you really are truly crazy!

We fans in Buffalo compare every new Buffalo QB to Jim Kelly, and you guys are comparing this team to the 16-0 Patriots.

That is asking a lot.

The best team in December, will more then likely win it all!

Great post, dude.

he got a better offer here to run the org, get over it, the Patriots have a better owner and are run better, any coach would rather have a good owner

Bob Kraft was also the reason Parcells left NE, because Kraft tried to force him to draft Terry Glenn in the 1st round of draft, Parcells had enough and split. Seems like Kraft has changed his approach.

Mangini took the job and promised BB he wouldnt go to a division rival, he reneged. BB even promised Mangini he would find him another job if he waited for another opening on another team. He also tried taking some players to be free agents with him not to mention all the things he stole, I would have locked his ass out too. Does Bb go and cry his case to the media, no, these are things people around the team have leaked out, who do you think has the class now?

Who cares about Mangini this is about Rex and Bill, not the NE organization and the NYJ organization. and lets go back to the Belichick jets thing cuz its so similar to the Mangini belichick thing. Parcells stepped down as the head coach and passed it on to Belichick in NY, and he accepted, then resigned and went to a division rival, taking Jets players with him as well! And whats more is that Belichick was still under contract with the jets and the comissioner got involved and the patriots paid the jets off with a 1st rounder to let belichick go. and his resignation letter was just a sheet of loose leaf with a single setence on it. That is extremely disrespectful to the Jets owner and Parcells, who really got him into the big time as DC of the Giants.

Bob Kraft was also the reason Parcells left NE, because Kraft tried to force him to draft Terry Glenn in the 1st round of draft, Parcells had enough and split. Seems like Kraft has changed his approach.

Who cares about Mangini this is about Rex and Bill, not the NE organization and the NYJ organization. and lets go back to the Belichick jets thing cuz its so similar to the Mangini belichick thing. Parcells stepped down as the head coach and passed it on to Belichick in NY, and he accepted, then resigned and went to a division rival, taking Jets players with him as well! And whats more is that Belichick was still under contract with the jets and the comissioner got involved and the patriots paid the jets off with a 1st rounder to let belichick go. and his resignation letter was just a sheet of loose leaf with a single setence on it. That is extremely disrespectful to the Jets owner and Parcells, who really got him into the big time as DC of the Giants.

Um, you brought up Mangini in the first place. Parcells was negotiating with the Jets while the Patriots were on their way to SB31. After the game Parcells wouldn't even ride on the same plane with the players. The Jets had to give the Patriots 4 draft picks to get him out of his contract. Parcells tried to pull a fast one and named Belichick head coach. BB did not want the head coaching job in NY. Parcells has never honored a single contract he signed. And Parcells signed Glenn to a contract when he was head coach at Dallas, so I guess that is one ingredient he didn't mind having.

uh no, was a lot more to it than that. Kraft wanted to build a perennial contender, Parcels just wants to win and leave, usually leaving the team cash strapped with aging players and bad contracts.

Your the one that brought up Mangini.
Like I said, Kraft gave Belichick a better offer, to run his own team without Parcels breathing over his shoulder. All coaches take players from the team they left, but not on the plane ride home from an away game, that was the issue with mangina.

Last edited:
The so called "running up the score' is a poor example of breaking ethical standards in professional sports.

How so? Explain to me how 'running up the score' does not violate your imaginary ethical code, but naming the 'wrong' people captains does. I'd like to be enlightened, because clearly we're not seeing eye to eye here :p

You're using the exact same argument that everyone that irrationally hates Belichick uses, right down to the rhetoric about unwritten rules and the spirit of competition, arrogance, etc. etc. etc. If these perceptions are important to you, then that's that, but in that case I have a hard time believing that you can be a Belichick fan.

Last edited:
How so? Explain to me how 'running up the score' does not violate your imaginary ethical code, but naming the 'wrong' people captains does. I'd like to be enlightened, because clearly we're not seeing eye to eye here :p

You're using the exact same argument that everyone that irrationally hates Belichick uses, right down to the rhetoric about unwritten rules and the spirit of competition, arrogance, etc. etc. etc. If these perceptions are important to you, then that's that, but in that case I have a hard time believing that you can be a Belichick fan.

Agreed. People would be on here salivating over how funny it was had BB done this to the Jets.

I heard Tom Brady this morning on the radio. He was asked as to what he thought about RO"C beign named captain. He hesitated a bit and then went on about other things and never addressed the question.

That tells me that he thought it was improper. If he saw nothing wrong with it, he would have made a joking remark- he didn't.

I heard Tom Brady this morning on the radio. He was asked as to what he thought about RO"C beign named captain. He hesitated a bit and then went on about other things and never addressed the question.

That tells me that he thought it was improper. If he saw nothing wrong with it, he would have made a joking remark- he didn't.

You have to admit it was funny

You have to admit it was funny

I was at the game and when I saw O'Connell at the coin toss, I immediately thought he must've had a productive week with the scout team to be out there as a captain. It never dawned on me that Tubby Wrecks was using those guys as a dig at the Patriots. I agree with those who consider it a bush-league maneuver. It wasn't funny at all, just sort of stupid and lame. But all this WWF-style nonsense is calculated by Tubby Wrecks to create a new image for the Green Beans, and apparently, Jersey fans are buying into it.

I just cannot explain it any more than I have. I can't explain the sky is blue or water is wet.

As far as spygate is concerned, I stated that BB did violate the rules, was wrong, and that a price should be paid. However I thought Goodells punishment was like giving capital punishment to a shoplifter.

You left out of my quote when I said that running up the score was ethically wrong for little league and I'll say that it is ethically wrong to do all the way and up to college. But in professional sports it is not due to restrictions placed on professional teams.

And to the Jets fan: No I didn't think it was funny at all and would not have thought it funny if the Patriots have done it.

And as far as the "handshake" drama is concerned. BB was on radio last night and he said that he talked to both Rayn and Snachez after the game in the tunnel.

Ok this is my last and final word on this. Either people get it or they don't.

Last edited:
Different take here guys.

KOC will probably never get to be captain. So Ryan made him captain for a day which I think is pretty nice. Plus he gets to say to the Patriots, "this guy you threw away, well we think he is a talented individual". Something like that can't help but build a player's self esteem.

KOC sold out the pats. Sold them down the river. Reminds me of that scene in Goodfellas "He was a rat, whole family was rats!".

Scout.com: Patriots-Jets: Game Balls & Goats
Rex Ryan - Sending out three former Patriots as your team captains makes a mockery out of the times former players or soldiers, firemen and rescue workers are honored. Ryan obviously made his point. The move seemed a bit amateurish
i believe if BB did this..florio,ESPN.dan patrick wouldve put it on the front page ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes