PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Harper released [9/17 edit: Re-Signed to Pats PS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think KT unclogs anything personally, one of the rare times we disagree, Supa.

Our leading receivers last week had 97 and 24 yards, with a TE and RB in between. KT has been a serviceable receiver in the past but, he's not suddenly going to provide another dimension over Amendola that fills the LaFell void, regardless of which WR position he plays.

I don't even know if it's an advantage, but the biggest thing that I liked about KT is that he came down with contested balls at times, 2013 vs Falcons and Saints for example. Harper hasn't really played NFL talent in that aspect, so who knows.

For this specific game I might prefer to see Jonas Gray (knows the scheme) brought back since Miami released him, Bryce Brown for gamesmanship, or a FB for help on the OL front.

I don't think a WR worse than DA provides anything to the offense, against Buffalo's front 7 we need a good pass protection or quick-strike type route combination offense, the intermediate passing game doesn't generally help in this one. Might be the kind of game where TB12 wants the ball out under or around 2 seconds each snap.
Not to mention that the last thing they'll be looking for is vertical slow developing plays this week. That's why Dobson didn't get many looks last week and it will be double that this.

Good, I was never really a huge fan of him. Hopefully they sign Pryor.

A little bit of chatter (from fans) on Twitter about signing Joey Iosefa.

Reiss says he's not hearing of anything imminent (EDIT: about Iosefa), but Harper wasn't released in a vaccum

It was reported prior to week 1 that Iosefa would be brought in after week 1. However, I think it's unlikely to be for the Bills game since it's unlikely we'll do a lot of running against them.

I think adding Thompkins is the most logical move.

Not to mention that the last thing they'll be looking for is vertical slow developing plays this week. That's why Dobson didn't get many looks last week and it will be double that this.

Dobson "didn't get many looks" because he simply wasn't Brady's 1st read. Not with Edelman, Gronkowski, Amendola and Chandler on the field. Watching the game, Brady went to Edelman and Gronk so much because they were his 1st reads AND they were open. This wasn't like in time past where Brady was threading a needle to hit Welker.. The Steelers just couldn't cover either of them..

It's got to be Kenbrell Thompkins, for reasons mentioned on this forum.

One is your theory that it's now Wednesday, with the gameplan already firmly installed for Sunday's game.

Another is the thought that we need to unclog the short/intermediate part of the defense, while stretching it vertically. A guy like Thompkins who has prior knowledge of our system is a good candidate for playing this role, considering that LaFell is on PUP.
That's the thing. Sexy Rexy believes he has success vs TB by flooding the middle of the field with DBs and delaying blitzes. With this approach he has had success - sometimes.

Throwing quick intermediate passes to the outside receivers is an option.

Personally I don't think BUF has the talent in the DB to execute Ryans D.

Dobson "didn't get many looks" because he simply wasn't Brady's 1st read. Not with Edelman, Gronkowski, Amendola and Chandler on the field. Watching the game, Brady went to Edelman and Gronk so much because they were his 1st reads AND they were open. This wasn't like in time past where Brady was threading a needle to hit Welker.. The Steelers just couldn't cover either of them..

On the plays where he was not the 1st read did Dobson get open as well or was he blocking?

On the plays where he was not the 1st read did Dobson get open as well or was he blocking?
I remember reading that Dobson was very active in blocking downfield on a run play and a short passing play.

He blocks and is physical downfield. That has never been a criticism that I have had of him at least.

Last edited:

Keep in mind that the TV coverage of people not directly involved is sketchy. That being said, I saw Dobson get open a few times.. He just wasn't the first read..

I could be wrong but aren't MOST outside bodies mid season on the defensive side?

Last year that was certainly the case, but I'm not sure what the larger sample looks like. Gaffney, Evans and Woodhead immediately jump to mind as midseason offensive imports so it isn't unheard of.

He blocks and is physical downfield. That has never been a criticism that I have had of him at least.

I've never done the legwork myself, but a friend who is pretty knowledgeable has complained about Dobson's blocking. If that is coming around, it's a good sign.

I've never done the legwork myself, but a friend who is pretty knowledgeable has complained about Dobson's blocking. If that is coming around, it's a good sign.
To be clear Dobson is passable to good where LaFell is elite in this area. I forget the game but he blew up at 250lb LB on a play. BAL playoff game?

Agreed, it's hard to draw any conclusions, positive or negative, about players not thrown to on a night when your QB is connecting on 19 straight passes.

In fact, I'm finding it hard to project any lessons at all from that Steelers game to this week. The two opponents are about as different as they come.

T/G Aboushi released by the Jets ... he's not athletic enough to be a decent NFL tackle ... better suited to play guard .... any chance Belichick is bringing him in for a look?

I doubt we're looking for interior linemen, after the solid showing against the Steelers. I watched the game tape again, specifically to see how Tre, Kline, Andrews and Mason looked. Especially after Belichick gave them kudos, saying the talent at the interior line was a big upgrade from last year. He is not usually one to boast on rookies.

Gotta say, all four of them looked pretty solid, individually and as a unit. Andrews was the big surprise for me, cause he's kinda short and you would think he'd get overrun by some of the monster DTs. But he more than held his own, didn't seem out of place at all.

Mason did not start, but they brought him in on running plays. There were a few "oooh and aaah" runs by #33 where it was #69 who was clearing the space at the second level. One play in particular where Mason ran for about 10 yards, and it was Mason sealing one side and Kline kicking out to remove the safety at the second level.

This is all just to say, I don't think BB is looking for solutions at OG. He's got a handful of young and affordable guys with high ceilings, already blooded in the system. I suppose there's always room for depth, with Stork designated to return and Wendell injured. But, unless the Wendell thing is more serious than it seems, I think we're looking pretty decent inside.

To take it further, I don't see the need for a PS, make the roster 63 and keep the same number of gameday inactives. Or none.

Football is one of the most pyhsical sports on the planet, games are 60 minutes, and because of limitations some positions player wire-to-wire.

Why are rosters so limited for space when "safety is of the utmost concern"?

It's a joke.
I like having a practice squad as a means of keeping less-experienced players in the building while at the same time not taking-up regular roster space. PSers usually cost less to keep too.
What I would love to see happen is rosters expand from 53 to 55, and game-day inactives eliminated.

I like having a practice squad as a means of keeping less-experienced players in the building while at the same time not taking-up regular roster space.

Yeah, I think the PS restrictions are good for the league over time. With open eligibility teams would be tempted to fill up the squad with marginal vets as a shadow roster, reducing a key development path for young players.

T/G Aboushi released by the Jets ... he's not athletic enough to be a decent NFL tackle ... better suited to play guard .... any chance Belichick is bringing him in for a look?
No thanks, for multiple reasons.

So did Harper clear waivers?

So did Harper clear waivers?
I believe the waiver period expires at 4 P.M. today. I also think that the Patriots lose Thompkins
by default if the 53rd spot remains open beyond a certain period of time.

Odd to cut Harper and not make a subsequent move.

Guessing Thompkins gets promoted, but who knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back