PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Carter on Mike & Mike talking Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm basing my opinion on the sample size of QBs that Moss has helped to have career years:

Cunningham
Jeff George
(I'll type that one again...)
Jeff George
Culpepper

I think we can all agree that those guys never sniffed the kind of production they did with Moss.

No of course, none of those guys could lace up Brady's cleats, but still just showing that Moss has proven in the past he can elevate QBs to the stratosphere.

I would agree Brady gets credit as well.

But I'd think it's about a 60/40 split in Moss' favor. He is just that good.

Were he to go and the Pats were to get CJ, I think Brady would still have a great year -- he is a great QB and CJ is a great WR -- but it would not be a record-setting once-in-a-lifetime kind of year.

And Brady has made some pretty mediocre WRs pretty good. I would say on a different scale Brady has elevated peoples games as much as Moss did. Look at the production he got out of mediocre to average WRs like David Patten, David Givens, Deion Branch, Tim Dwight, Reche Caldwell, Jabbar Gaffney. etc.

Also, Moss did nothing to improve Kerry Collins' play. His numbers were about the same the year before Moss came in. I won't even address Moss' last year with the Raiders because that was a mess beyond any one player being able to control.

At least George and Culpepper did well with Moss because both had really strong arms and you just throw jump balls in Moss' area. Brady is far more polished of a QB and didn't rely on that nearly as much (although he did it more than any other year).

Brady is arguably one of the greatest QBs of all time, if not the greatest. I think he could have produced similiar numbers if not the same with another elite WR.

As for the split, I honestly do not know the split, but Wes Welker deserves a decent share of the credit. Without Welker on the team, neither Brady nor Moss break the records they did. Welker forced defenses not to all out blitz Brady on every down or triple team Moss on every play. That is part of the reason why I don't know if Moss or Brady were more responsible. I think it was a perfect storm that happened last year where everything worked well from the o-line to Brady to Moss to Welker to Stallworth and Gaffney.

Well glad to see Espn kept up with its criteria for hiring ex athlete's to cover football.. You have to hate the Patriots..

Thank god I gave up Espn on Feb 3rd..

His later point about the effectiveness of Welker dropping substantially without Moss or another difference maker is accurate.

If the Pats "misuse" Moss again and he and Brady break their TD records, I can live with that however.

I might agree that the Pats "misused" Stallworth by not getting him more involved in the deep game - taking pressure off of Moss and letting him get open more - but I'm don't have all the information the coaches do to really say that either.

I agree Stallworth was grossly not used properly..

Look at the stats and success during the regular season....to say anyone was grossly misused would be foolish. While the role Stallworth had may not have served his stats best it served our team as whole just fine. If you used Stallworth more than you would have been using other guys less.

Look at the stats and success during the regular season....to say anyone was grossly misused would be foolish. While the role Stallworth had may not have served his stats best it served our team as whole just fine. If you used Stallworth more than you would have been using other guys less.

I was happy with a Stallworth / Welker/ Gaffney combo, but Moss took it to another level, which is more likely the reason for not a focus on Stallworth.

Last edited:

That's a fair point -- one that's also used by other people when addressing the whole "what happened to Moss in the playoffs" issue.

I've got to admit, though, one play really irked me about Stallworth. That catch & run by Stallworth against the Jags in the 2nd round, where Brady rolled out of the pocket and managed to buy time for Stallworth to get behind the CB. Stallworth is looking at nothing but daylight between him and the end zone, and gets run down and tackled from behind. It was a 30 yard pickup, and still a great overall play, but man oh man....how does a track star like Stallworth get run down like that?

If there was ever a play for Stallworth to really shine, that was it.

Last edited:
Not that I agree with the whole "Moss makes Brady look better than he is" line of thought, but a list of QBs that he made look way better than they were has to include Gus Frerotte and Todd Bouman.

Brady was a kickass QB for years before Moss got here, though.

I also agree. I would like to have seen more of Stallworth. He is the type of WR who should be deadly with Brady. Awesome after the catch which fits well with Brady's precision. However, he didn't "protect" Brady well enough in Indy on that long throw which was badly under-thrown. Maybe that's when his production started to drop off. Still...

Talking elite WR's, I think Owens skill set would be the best fit with Brady. Moss is better vertically but, Owens is especially great in short-medium routes. With Brady's surgical precision, they would kill. Owens is a head case, though.

Brady on long throws does not judge speed as well as I would like. Many overthrows and under-throws over the years with receivers being open including this year with greater speed available. Some other top QB's are better in this respect. Moss to Indy would be scary.

Moss to SD would also be a concern with Rivers AFCCG performance.

Last edited:
I also agree. I would like to have seen more of Stallworth. He is the type of WR who should be deadly with Brady. Awesome after the catch which fits well with Brady's precision. However, he didn't "protect" Brady well enough in Indy on that long throw which was badly under-thrown. Maybe that's when his production started to drop off. Still...

Talking elite WR's, I think Owens skill set would be the best fit with Brady. Moss is better vertically but, Owens is an especially great in short-medium routes. With Brady's surgical precision, they would kill. Owens is a head case, though.

Brady on long throws does not judge speed as well as I would like. Many overthrows and under-throws over the years with receivers being open including this year with greater speed available. Some other top QB's are better in this respect. Moss to Indy would be scary.

Moss to SD would also be a concern with Rivers AFCCG performance.

With Manning throwing to him on that turf..oh lord. Good thing the Colts dont view him as "their type".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents