• Broncos

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • Steelers suck

Votes: 24 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
His butt hit inbounds this is a TD

Still need at least 2 KC losses. And be AFC losses. Because Pats losses are AFC losses

Yep, need to win the next 2 and hope KC loses to Denver again. That fulfills the requirements.

Kind of baffled that Andy Reid didn't attempt to get their best playmaker the ball in space a bit more, especially when they've been riding him all year.

Tonight's game saw a "new" version of Alex Smith. One that attempted to actually get the ball down the field. I'm all for an aggressive gameplan, but it didn't seem to work out too well.

And just like I said about KC...their offense is very limited. That "23.9" number that you see on ESPN etc regarding KC's offensive average is very misleading, since their defense and special teams has averaged almost a TD per game for the first half of the season. The reality is that they cannot score more than about what they did tonight. Their "real" offensive average is only about 18 pts per game.

Once those defensive TD's slow down they're toast...although they may give DEN a good game in Arrowhead in 2 weeks and even possibly win. I think they should be proud of their turnaround, but they are still pretenders as far as the AFC goes in my opinion, come the post-season.

So welker with a concussion...will probally miss next week

Not to sound like an ass, but I wouldn't be sad if he couldn't go next Sunday, that's for sure.

I'm certainly not wishing him ill health, but if he wants to take a week off I'm all for it.

That said, it's extremely early yet, and we all know that Wes is a battler. We'll have to see if/when he's going to be cleared for practice/game play, which could certainly still happen by next Sunday night.

Tough break for Welker. He is resilient though.

Kind of baffled that Andy Reid didn't attempt to get their best playmaker the ball in space a bit more, especially when they've been riding him all year.

Tonight's game saw a "new" version of Alex Smith. One that attempted to actually get the ball down the field. I'm all for an aggressive gameplan, but it didn't seem to work out too well.

And just like I said about KC...their offense is very limited. That "23.9" number that you see on ESPN etc regarding KC's offensive average is very misleading, since their defense and special teams has averaged almost a TD per game for the first half of the season. The reality is that they cannot score more than about what they did tonight. Their "real" offensive average is only about 18 pts per game.

Once those defensive TD's slow down they're toast...although they may give DEN a good game in Arrowhead in 2 weeks and even possibly win. I think they should be proud of their turnaround, but they are still pretenders as far as the AFC goes in my opinion, come the post-season.

I think you make a plausible argument and agree that their passing offense is showing a bit too much limitation. However, I don't agree that KC is toast if their defense isn't creating scores. The Chiefs are a somewhat close version of the 2011 Niners, a team that went to the NFCCG. They both play(ed) good defense, even tougher D in the Red Zone, run the ball with effectiveness, minimal turnovers, a lack of potency in the passing game but relatively efficient (2011 niners had that somewhat better passing O though), and ultimately winning through controlling the game's tempo and tone. It's a formula that can result in victory often enough even with a limited passing offense (there are other teams who have run this formula that have been successful). But with the limited passing O capability, it does require all those listed formula aspects to be executed relatively well. Tonight the defense failed in one of those aspects allowing a high TD conversion rate in the Red Zone (3 of 4). For a team basing their success on controlling the game's tempo and tone utilizing a controlled and limited passing offense, it just isn't going to work when allowing that kind of Red Zone success (plus those couple of brutal third down conversions. IMHO they changed the tone/direction of the game a lot).
Ultimately I think KC has demonstrated they have the right pieces in place to play this formula successfully. The limitations in passing offense does mean there is less room for error but I don't think it's so stark that they need the D to score for them or they are toast.

I know it is the nature of a chat board to take a result and extrapolate its meaning (we all do it), however, tonight was just one game. A game against, arguably, the best team in the league playing in, arguably, a venue with the greatest home field advantage there is. Take away that advantage then add in the advantage of the crowd noise at Arrowhead? I think the game will go much closer to KC's expectations (assuming this time each aspect will do what is needed of them).
KC's remaining schedule has 2 games against a floundering SD, a floundering Washington, a floundering Oakland, a shaky Indy team (I like KC for that game because it is in KC). I think KC actually will win the division IF they win the upcoming Denver game (they can then afford to lose a game if it is the right opponent). And since I think it is good for the Patriots to see KC win the division, I am a big KC fan for the rest of the regular season :D

I know they lost last night, and gave up 27 points, but KC defense is legit. They made Denver work for every yard. By far the best D in the NFL. KC fans may despise Pioli, but he built a nasty D!

It's reported that WW did suffer a concussion and, assuming he passes the medical baseline later today, is eligible to start practicing on Friday.
It's an interesting situation to watch beyond the obvious big game matchup consequences. WW will REALLY want to play against his old team/Denver REALLY wants to win this game (a loss to the Patriots sets up a virtual must win in KC the following week -- a must win in terms of winning the division and avoiding a MAJOR change to the landscape for the Bronco's playoff path).

I'm guessing his concussion is probably the variety that, just a few years ago, a player would barely miss a series or two. No way would they miss the next game especially a game with these kind of ramifications. But wasn't the NFL's concussion policy designed to eliminate the pressure of the team, the player himself and the weight of the game? So if WW was to play, wouldn't it seemingly fly in the face of the league as well as the media/general public's conversation on the NFL's head trauma past? Given that I just don't see how WW is allowed to play (an unintended positive for the Patriots) even if he is believed healthy. Yet if he does play, will it be fair to question if Denver is putting victory above the seriousness of the head trauma situation?

It's reported that WW did suffer a concussion and, assuming he passes the medical baseline later today, is eligible to start practicing on Friday.
It's an interesting situation to watch beyond the obvious big game matchup consequences. WW will REALLY want to play against his old team/Denver REALLY wants to win this game (a loss to the Patriots sets up a virtual must win in KC the following week -- a must win in terms of winning the division and avoiding a MAJOR change to the landscape for the Bronco's playoff path).

I'm guessing his concussion is probably the variety that, just a few years ago, a player would barely miss a series or two. No way would they miss the next game especially a game with these kind of ramifications. But wasn't the NFL's concussion policy designed to eliminate the pressure of the team, the player himself and the weight of the game? So if WW was to play, wouldn't it seemingly fly in the face of the league as well as the media/general public's conversation on the NFL's head trauma past? Given that I just don't see how WW is allowed to play (an unintended positive for the Patriots) even if he is believed healthy. Yet if he does play, will it be fair to question if Denver is putting victory above the seriousness of the head trauma situation?

Vernon Davis suffered a concussion last week vs Carolina, and he played yesterday.

Vernon Davis suffered a concussion last week vs Carolina, and he played yesterday.

Thanks for the info. I had thought players suffering concussions were all but certain to miss a game maybe two except in uncommon instances. If it is not too uncommon to play after a concussion then I would definitely expect WW to play. I'm thinking this game was circled on his calendar the day after he signed with Denver.

Nobody is tougher at home than the Broncos. However, Mannings weak arm is even weaker now because of bad ankles. He was immobile before this problem. I picked Chiefs. If the Broncos have a chance at all, the O line of the Broncos will have to play lights out tonight. Going with the Chiefs though.

I went with the wrong team. I thought Mannings ankle would hurt him more. But we heard he had injections to numb it before the game. The thing is you can't do that every week or you start getting tissue breakdown (I was told from a PT). He may inject it again for next week or not. Or the docs may advise against it if they want him to be healthy for the playoffs.

Thanks for the info. I had thought players suffering concussions were all but certain to miss a game maybe two except in uncommon instances. If it is not too uncommon to play after a concussion then I would definitely expect WW to play. I'm thinking this game was circled on his calendar the day after he signed with Denver.

Depends on the severity of the concussion. They only need to pass some tests, but no rule exists that mandates missed gametime. A similar thing happened to one of Denver's corners a couple weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News