PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cheerleaders are ruled to be employees

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much incremental revenue do the teams get because of cheerleaders? Probably none, which is justification for getting rid of them. This may be a pyrrhic victory for the cheerleaders.

There's advantages to being a contractor also. For instance, a workplace injury could leave the contractor/employer liable, but if they are an employee then workers compensation insurance covers and usually make liability claims not possible. They could end up with less for an on the job injury as employees.

At least that's what I was taught in a business class. It sounds like the cheerleaders fit the IRS definition of an employee (which is not well defined). Whether they should have fought to be employees, or whether there should be external rules outside of what the two parties agree with is a different discussion though.

How much incremental revenue do the teams get because of cheerleaders? Probably none, which is justification for getting rid of them. This may be a pyrrhic victory for the cheerleaders.
I think teams make a decent amount of money off cheerleaders, Calendars, photo ops, etc. If they were such a money pit that they didn't make any money off them then they wouldn't have had them before

There's advantages to being a contractor also. For instance, a workplace injury could leave the contractor/employer liable, but if they are an employee then workers compensation insurance covers and usually make liability claims not possible. They could end up with less for an on the job injury as employees.

At least that's what I was taught in a business class. It sounds like the cheerleaders fit the IRS definition of an employee (which is not well defined). Whether they should have fought to be employees, or whether there should be external rules outside of what the two parties agree with is a different discussion though.

I'm no lawyer but my understanding was that you could still file for liability if it was based on certain criteria. For example, if an employer knew something was dangerous and did nothing about it, that would still leave them liable even if the employee has already filed a worker's compensation claim.

There are some advantages to being a contractor, absolutely. But it doesn't seem like any of those apply in this instance. I don't think the billion-dollar franchise is forced to use contractors because they can't hire employees for this role. I think they've chosen this route because it's advantageous to them, not the cheerleaders.

Do me a favor: Go into the business world and use the term "corporation" to refer to privately-held, incorporated entities.

They won't openly laugh at you, but trust me when I say they'll be thinking "ok this guy doesn't know what he is talking about."
Dude, admit it, you flubbed up. Doubling down on it just makes you look even worse.

Then, according to some in here, they are being exploited and should sue the Patriots also.
Name 1? The closest thing I read to that was Primetime speculating that they may fall under the same ruling as the cheerleaders. You might wanna look into your doctor tweaking your meds.

Have you ever heard of unpaid internships? As mentioned above, the Patriot musketeers are unpaid volunteers. Do you think they are being extorted?
Does this mean no representation without taxation?

Ironic twist. Ownership must realize there allowing armed revolutionaries to roam inside the stadium. Things could get ugly quick if they perceive themselves as being taken advantage of.

I think they should help the cheerleaders commandere Old Ironsides and have a Boston Pom-Pom Party.

Do me a favor: Go into the business world and use the term "corporation" to refer to privately-held, incorporated entities.

They won't openly laugh at you, but trust me when I say they'll be thinking "ok this guy doesn't know what he is talking about."

Plenty of private companies refer to themselves as 'corporations'. It's very common.

I agree some teams will just get rid of their cheerleaders. However, if memory serves me, one of the complaints of bigger revenue teams was that lower revenue teams were not pursuing all revenue/business opportunities.
There's a reason that attractive females permeate all levels of movies, TV, magazines, media in general. Most think it is entirely a sexual thing but that is a fairly big oversimplification. There's a wider engendering of general good feeling to the visual of a photogenic female. And my guess is business savvy teams can use this well vetted cheerleader squad for positive PR while keeping it revenue positive. Whether it actually does works out as positive is a ??? and partly dependent on the business savvy of the team. Yet either way it certainly seems fair to say these are company employees performing ongoing various levels of work on behalf of the company.
Ultimately if the cost does outweigh the value of the cheerleader department, the business likely/will eliminate that department. Department (or division) elimination certainly isn't a new thing...

Name 1? The closest thing I read to that was Primetime speculating that they may fall under the same ruling as the cheerleaders. You might wanna look into your doctor tweaking your meds.
fcb27bd7bd9b341ed4ac4642205f8dad3724ad4af8eb661b534ebaed1c7dd736.jpg

The sad thing is that, even in the face of obvious evidence that you're wrong, you continue to spin and twist in a desperate attempt to convince yourself and others that you're right. Nobody knows everything and everyone makes mistakes. When you learn from them and move on, mistakes can be opportunities for growth. The twisting and justification required in the refusal to acknowledge obvious mistakes just makes it worse, and over time, can cause considerable damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore