PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chargers set to fire Head Coach Norv Turner, GM A.J. Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wonder if Spanos now regrets firing Marty after a 14-2 season. At least back during Marty ball days, they'd get to the post-season... and now they have... Norv. I'm actually very surprised by how long Norv has lasted. IMO the firing of Marty after a 14-2 season was one of the greatest injustices in NFL history.

And no I'm not related to Marty or anything, I just felt he really got shafted. Most teams would give their left nut for a 14-2 season, and instead this guy gets fired to be replaced by a guy that has a hard time getting to .500.

I pray the Jets hire Norv.

I read that originally as "Chargers set fire to coach Turner, GM Smith"

I did the same thing, I was afraid that I was going crazy.

Andy Reid will take that job. Reports are that he has a house out there.

Andy Reid will take that job. Reports are that he has a house out there.

Andy's a West Coast offense, 4-3 man-coverage defense kind of guy. That would require a lot of player personnel changes.

Last edited:
I wonder if Spanos now regrets firing Marty after a 14-2 season. At least back during Marty ball days, they'd get to the post-season... and now they have... Norv. I'm actually very surprised by how long Norv has lasted. IMO the firing of Marty after a 14-2 season was one of the greatest injustices in NFL history.

And no I'm not related to Marty or anything, I just felt he really got shafted. Most teams would give their left nut for a 14-2 season, and instead this guy gets fired to be replaced by a guy that has a hard time getting to .500.

I pray the Jets hire Norv.

Assuming the Jets would hire him as an OC, why would you pray that? If they hire Norv and find themselves a decent quarterback, that offense could turn it around (provided they actually find themselves a number one wideout as well). Stay far away from the Jets, Norv. Just say no.

This is unfortunate news for the Patriots. You could always count on Norv to screw up.

And that "denial" by Spanos was anything but. We'll see what happens but I suspect some coaching and personnel changes coming in SD.

Interesting potential scenario:

SD and KC both clean house
Both bring in 4-3 defenses
Two teams worth of 3-4 defenders are sprung, and available to BB

The downside would be basically giving the Broncos the AFCW title for the entire Manning era.

Also, this would put Smith in play for the Jets.

LOL never thought of this angle...

I definitely pine for the days when the Steelers and just a handful of other clubs ran the 3-4, and all those college DE/LB "tweeners" would just tumble down the draft boards. We got Porter and Gildon in the 3rd round; that type of talent goes in the 1st or 2nd now.

Interesting though, I kind of feel like the Pats may have done the same thing with "move" TEs -- I think those types of more one-dimensional-type TEs (thinking Hernandez here, not Gronk) used to slip a couple of rounds longer than they do now.

The Chargers just seem like a dysfunctional organization.

The mediocre coaching from Turner was to be expected, based on his track record. But the implosion of Rivers has been kind of stunning. He has really not even been a good QB (let alone "elite") for two seasons now. I really don't get it--he's 30, not 38.

LOL never thought of this angle...

I definitely pine for the days when the Steelers and just a handful of other clubs ran the 3-4, and all those college DE/LB "tweeners" would just tumble down the draft boards. We got Porter and Gildon in the 3rd round; that type of talent goes in the 1st or 2nd now.

Good point. If those clubs switch over, there would be more players for the Steelers as well.

Interesting though, I kind of feel like the Pats may have done the same thing with "move" TEs -- I think those types of more one-dimensional-type TEs (thinking Hernandez here, not Gronk) used to slip a couple of rounds longer than they do now.

I think that, in the case of the TEs, the Patriots and Saints changed the game there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back