PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chances of BoB leaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These Patriots OCs need to take a mental note when deciding about going somewhere else.

Note to self : "I look alot smarter because of #12"

Weis is not included.

Did he make some bad draft picks? Sure. Did he sign some shot veterans? Sure. But he wasn't being charged with maintaining excellence. He was being charged with revamping the team and making it a contender again. That takes time. He never got that time.

I think the other thing that really hurt him was trading away Peyton Hillis for Brady Quinn.

If the rumors are true,(*) I can understand why he'd feel he had to do it, but Hillis' season in 2010 didn't do JMcD any favors.

That said, you have to give props to a guy who, in back-to-back years, directed the highest-scoring team in NFL history and then took a QB who hadn't started in HS and made him a viable starter.

(*) Said rumors had Mr. Hillis making passes at Mrs. McDaniels.

I'm guessing that Bill O'Brien wouldn't leave this team unless he were offered a head coaching job, and there should be plenty of better and well-known names for teams to choose from out there. Offering him an OC gig on another team shouldn't sway his opinion in wanting to leave a good thing here, even for some increased money.

Even if he would leave, I don't think it's something to get worked up over. I would suspect that Belichick is paying close attn to his play calls...(sarcasm)

Then again, that's what happens when you 'name' a OC/DC on a team that has success every single year, and may help explain the reluctance to offically 'name' a DC between Pepper and Patricia. (although I'm not 100% sure they're exactly drawing any comparisons to Romeo with the current defense of the last 2 yrs)

Last edited:
I have not been a fan of BO'B since he was named the defacto OC in 2008. But truth be told, he did a helluva job with getting the most out of Cassel and that offense.

Up until this year, I have felt that Brady did not trust BO'B entirely. And part of it may be that BO'B was handling Brady with kids gloves or something, I don't know. But prior to this year, it seemed that Brady was calling a lot more audibles at the line than he is doing this year. And the adjustments that BO'B and the offense are making this year seem to be done much quicker than in the past. My biggest qualm about BO'B is that he seems to stop using the running game too quickly. I know that BJGE and Woodhead have been hurt, but the Pats brought in 2 new toys to play with as well and having a running game helps by the O-line and Brady time in the passing game.

Is BO'B ready to be a HC? Probably not. And I think it would suck if he left because of the continuity factor. However, if BO'B did leave, I'd be on the phone to Brian Daboll asking him how quickly he could be in Foxborough to take over, unless that bridge is burned for a reason we don't know...

Bingo, we have bingo.

There will be some owners/GM's who will get enamored with his feisty exchange with Brady on the sideline and assume that he is the guy to restore order to their franchise...

Of course Mike Florio seems to be pimping this idea, so it will become true in many folks minds..

My main criticism of BOB is his use of the running game, it is too predictable and something you have to do, rather than want to do..

McDaniels last year here was actually the year after that, when he made Matt Cassel look so good some posters were calling for Brady to be traded. That was what sold McDaniels to the owners of the NFL as HC material.

Ah, thank you for the correction. :)

I'm not ready to declare BOB as a good OC yet, last season his play calling looked really good in Nov. and Dec. then he imploded in the playoff game against the jests. From what ive seen if the team gets behind he just abandons the running game in favor of pass, pass, pass. The other teams knows this and pins their ears back and come after Brady. I want to see what happens in the playoffs this year, if the going gets tough will he fold or will he rise to the occasion. BTW BOB is the first OC that ive been critical of, i never had a problem with Wies or McDaniels play calling.

True, in the playoffs I think we'll see if BOB really has cleared that last hurdle. He has appeared to make vast improvements in each offseason since he's been here but he still needs to prove himself in the playoffs esp against a Bmore/Pitt caliber defense.

True, in the playoffs I think we'll see if BOB really has cleared that last hurdle. He has appeared to make vast improvements in each offseason since he's been here but he still needs to prove himself in the playoffs esp against a Bmore/Pitt caliber defense.

I don't get this. What exactly has BOB done wrong on the field in those games?

In 2009 the team was disjointed and divisive as it was and loses Welker before playing BAL.

In 2010 the team loses to the #1 defense in comp% against with a sub-standard running games that scares no one and scores 21 points. In turn, the defense gives up 4 TDs in 5 Red Zone trips and records zero sacks or INTs in the process. What is O'Brien supposed to do?

His playcalling has improved from year-to-year.

Is he HC material? Don't know.

Last edited:

In 2009 the team was disjointed and divisive as it was and loses Welker before playing BAL.

In 2010 the team loses to the #1 defense in comp% against with a sub-standard running games that scares no one and scores 21 points. In turn, the defense gives up 4 TDs in 5 Red Zone trips and records zero sacks or INTs in the process. What is O'Brien supposed to do?

2009 I agree. 2010, I think BoB's playcalling especially on that long drive in the 4th was rather poor (run to woodhead, repeat). Even BB could be seen saying pass the ball (although for much of the game the Jets had a great gameplan that made Brady and the passing offense struggle). The Pats did not adjust to the Jets D well during the course of that game.

I do think however BoB (and even the Defense) has come back this year and made great 2nd half adjustments so kudos to them.

These Patriots OCs need to take a mental note when deciding about going somewhere else.

Note to self : "I look alot smarter because of #12"

Weis is not included.

Sure he is...

Weis got some credit for developing Brady, although I believe most of that development was inherent in Tommy and occurred on **** Rehbein's watch. And having Bill as his co QB's coach after **** passed didn't hurt, but again Brady had to be open to that and have the capacity to do something with it. Tommy is about as self motivated as a player gets, and his continued use of that quarter Tom Martinez gave him as a HS QB just underscores that.

Obviously Josh gets some credit for developing a genuinely blank slate in Cassel. I can't imagine Pioli will pass on the opportunity to reunite those two, and perhaps even Orton. BOB hasn't developed anyone yet. The hot OC candidates this season will be guys who have like Jay Gruden in Cincy and the Packers OC who doesn't call plays but helped develop Rodgers. Some say Mularkey in Atlanta, but I see Ryan regressing so don't see the draw there. The QB's coach in Miami (as opposed to Daboll) is getting lots of credit for Moore. And around the league Schottsie is getting credit for doing the best he could with what Tannenbaum and Rex gave him to work with. Would be great to see him land somewhere and really light things up and teach JETS fans another painful lesson...

Don Banks has a breakdown of the potential Black Monday vacancies and candidates up on SI. No mention of BOB. But lots of mention about the struggles Miami will encounter in filling their post because of their FO situation AND because guys who can pick and choose will not choose the AFCE for obvious reasons...

Steve Spagnuolo, Raheem Morris, Jim Caldwell in danger of losing jobs - Don Banks - SI.com

It's the NEM syndrome. The OC could have always called something different and it would have worked out perfectly even though focus and execution and even talent were the issues...

At the end of the day as much as it's about X's and O's it does come down to the Jimmy's and Joe's actually doing their job and executing. Fans can't deal with that, it's easier to just blame a coordinator...

Last edited:
2009 I agree. 2010, I think BoB's playcalling especially on that long drive in the 4th was rather poor (run to woodhead, repeat). Even BB could be seen saying pass the ball (although for much of the game the Jets had a great gameplan that made Brady and the passing offense struggle).

Trying not to be a BOB/Pats apologist here but in that 4th qtr, BOB and the Patriot offense was in a rock and a hard place if there ever was one. I agree that the drive took waaaay to long but as you call out, the Jets were playing 6-8 players in coverage, blitzing whomever whenever, jamming the middle of the field and giving TB nothing deep. That really messing up Brady, the OLine and the RBs. BOB ran Woodhead because he was the only guy back there that once he got through the 1st level, he could hit a 10-20 yd run and if successful bring more Jets defenders closer to the LoC. The problem is that he didn't and went down on the 1st hit.

Tactically, I really didn't have a problem with BOBs playcalling. Part of me wonders how many times TB changed the play at the LoC as he has the latitude to do so.

IF faced with a similar situation, Ridley has the power to break tackles vs 3-4 man fronts and the speed to get to the 2nd level for good gains inside or outside. It'll be really interesting to see the coaching staff put their trust in a rook during a playoff game like GB did last year with Starks.

The Pats did not adjust to the Jets D well during the course of that game.

I do think however BoB (and even the Defense) has come back this year and made great 2nd half adjustments so kudos to them.

Somewhat agree. In the end, coupled with bad defense and some poor choices (Chung punt play), IMO that is what killed them in that game.

But that is the playoffs, no team is going to light it up every single playoff game offensively.

Last edited:
I'm not ready to declare BOB as a good OC yet, last season his play calling looked really good in Nov. and Dec. then he imploded in the playoff game against the jests. From what ive seen if the team gets behind he just abandons the running game in favor of pass, pass, pass. The other teams knows this and pins their ears back and come after Brady. I want to see what happens in the playoffs this year, if the going gets tough will he fold or will he rise to the occasion. BTW BOB is the first OC that ive been critical of, i never had a problem with Wies or McDaniels play calling.

Brady threw a pick on a simple screen play and Crumpler dropped an easy touchdown. That's not the coaches imploding. That's the players screwing up.

The offense this season is the strength of the team. I don't know if Bill O'Brien is head coach material but he is the person responsible for our offense. While it's true that he is blessed with a future HOF Q.B. and many other great weapons, he's responsible for the offensive game plan and for ensuring that all the players know what page they need to be on and a myriad of other important details..

Those who have posted negatively must not watch a lot of football. Go and check out Brian Schottenheimer, the man who called a pass play for Sanchez from his own end zone and sent only one receiver out kin the pattern. It resulted in a safety and I am supremely confident that Sanchez did not call an audible to that play in that situation.

The offense this season is the strength of the team. I don't know if Bill O'Brien is head coach material but he is the person responsible for our offense. While it's true that he is blessed with a future HOF Q.B. and many other great weapons, he's responsible for the offensive game plan and for ensuring that all the players know what page they need to be on and a myriad of other important details..

Those who have posted negatively must not watch a lot of football. Go and check out Brian Schottenheimer, the man who called a pass play for Sanchez from his own end zone and sent only one receiver out kin the pattern. It resulted in a safety and I am supremely confident that Sanchez did not call an audible to that play in that situation.

Here, you need to read this. I doubt BOB would have lasted nearly as long given the hand Schotty has been dealt from Noodle to JAGS to Favre to Sanchez...let alone working under a back to back egomaniacs like the dour little Ratgini and the blowhard Tubby Rex not to mention an owner and GM committed to splash over substance and accountability.

NFL.com news: Sanchez gets pounded because the run game is grounded

Brady and Belichick are largely responsible for the overall game plan. BOB flushes it out and fine tunes it based on practice and player availability. Dante and the position coaches are largely responsible for ensuring that all the players know what page they need to be on and a myriad of other important details and BOB basically implements the game plan and calls the plays on game day (although BB occasionally overrides him or nudges him in another direction...and Tom reads the D pre and post snap and adjusts the playcall probably half of the time) and selects the personnel packages and is tasked with making adjustments based on results.

Go and check out Brian Schottenheimer, the man who called a pass play for Sanchez from his own end zone and sent only one receiver out kin the pattern. It resulted in a safety and I am supremely confident that Sanchez did not call an audible to that play in that situation.

No but Sanchez did call the protection on that play. Without knowing the Jetys playbook, it is impossible to tell if that contributed to the sack, but I did find it mildly amusing that it looked like a slide protection but no one closed the back door, it was left open.

Brady threw a pick on a simple screen play and Crumpler dropped an easy touchdown. That's not the coaches imploding. That's the players screwing up.

This doesn't really have all that much to do with the discussion, but I've always felt the importance of that pick is vastly overstated. The Jets got a missed FG out of that drive and it's not like we were knocking on the door of a TD when the ball was intercepted. It was a very bad play, but it didn't change the momentum or anything, they could have easily overcome that. The tipping point for me was the Chung failed fake punt. It just took the wind out of every one.

That was a play action pass where you max protect and send your fastest WR deep. It's an extremely common play call, and Sanchez is expected to get rid of the ball if his only read isn't there because odds are protection will hold well enough for him to step out of the pocket and throw it away. That play resulted in a ******ed interception, not a safety, where he rushed the throw into double coverage when he had absolutely no reason to get rid of the ball. It was piss poor execution on a fairly common play-call.

People talk about "omg, he only sent one wr on a pattern!!1!", but that happens with reasonable frequency in the NFL. Actually, that big pass completed to Slater on a post-pattern for a 41-yard gain in our opener against Miami came on a very similar play. Play-action, max protect, send Slater deep - Safety bites on the play fake and boom, the ball is there. If your guy is covered, throw it away, you'll have at least 7 blockers so the QB will most likely have more than enough time.

Last edited:
This doesn't really have all that much to do with the discussion, but I've always felt the importance of that pick is vastly overstated. The Jets got a missed FG out of that drive and it's not like we were knocking on the door of a TD when the ball was intercepted. It was a very bad play, but it didn't change the momentum or anything, they could have easily overcome that. The tipping point for me was the Chung failed fake punt. It just took the wind out of every one.

It cost the Patriots 7 points and early control of the game. If you want to say that is overrated, we'll just have to disagree.

It cost the Patriots 7 points and early control of the game. If you want to say that is overrated, we'll just have to disagree.

Why did it cost them 7 points? He wasn't picked in the endzone, they had just crossed midfield. What percentage of drives that cross midfield end up in 7 points? All I'm saying is that, since the Jets got absolutely nothing out of the turnover, we had a chance to start fresh, so to speak. It wasn't a huge momentum shifter or anything a mentally tough team couldn't overcome.

If anything, that sequence of events had to be deflating for the Jets, as they intercepted Tom Brady after his amazing streak, got the ball to the Patriots 15-yard line and came away with zero points out of the whole ordeal. They got all the early breaks they wanted and still didn't find themselves leading at that point. If any team should have been hurt by the sequence it was the Jets, not the Patriots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft