PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBA - Where are they now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Does anyone have updated information on where the talks are on the CBA? Do they have meeting scheduled? Will they be waiting until after the SB?
Thoughts?

There's really no new news that I'm aware of - same old issues on revenue sharing between the NFL owners and the players, complicated by revenue sharing issues between NFL owners themselves

Complicating the latter is the muddy issue of NFL "haves" and "have nots" sharing revenue... But although the Patriots are a "have" Bob Kraft would ask why, having privately financed his own stadium, should he be treated the same as a franchise that had the taxpayers foot the bill for his stadium?

Regardless, the clock is ticking - the players union has said it will let the CBA run out if a new CBA isn't agreed to by March...

However everything is really speculation - but such speculation makes cap planning and personnel planning exceptionally difficult...

Speculation of a rookie salary cap in 2007 could cause a high number of college players to jump in this year... uncertainty about the CBA could cause some teams to cut players early and other teams to lock players up now

So its anyone's guess what's going to happen and how that impacts this offseason and future seasons as well... some teams will spend like the Yankees - others like the Marlins... maybe there will be a new higher maximum cap - maybe there will even be a cap minimum on cheap teams (which would be my priority if I were in the NFLPA)

Here's a few links for further reading

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2006/01/01/a5b_bedard_0101.html

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13507463.htm

JoeSixPat said:
There's really no new news that I'm aware of - same old issues on revenue sharing between the NFL owners and the players, complicated by revenue sharing issues between NFL owners themselves

Complicating the latter is the muddy issue of NFL "haves" and "have nots" sharing revenue... But although the Patriots are a "have" Bob Kraft would ask why, having privately financed his own stadium, should he be treated the same as a franchise that had the taxpayers foot the bill for his stadium?

Regardless, the clock is ticking - the players union has said it will let the CBA run out if a new CBA isn't agreed to by March...

However everything is really speculation - but such speculation makes cap planning and personnel planning exceptionally difficult...

Speculation of a rookie salary cap in 2007 could cause a high number of college players to jump in this year... uncertainty about the CBA could cause some teams to cut players early and other teams to lock players up now

So its anyone's guess what's going to happen and how that impacts this offseason and future seasons as well... some teams will spend like the Yankees - others like the Marlins... maybe there will be a new higher maximum cap - maybe there will even be a cap minimum on cheap teams (which would be my priority if I were in the NFLPA)

Here's a few links for further reading

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2006/01/01/a5b_bedard_0101.html

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13507463.htm

I wonder how this is going to work out. The have not franchises are going to find out that the haves will bury them and about 5 or 6 teams will do well. The rest will be in tough shape. If you play for a have team you will do well if not then tough luck. If you get drafted by a have not team you loose 4/5/6 years of your career before you can try to hit it big.

I think that the NFLPA will be in for a surprise. Its not going to be a real great bargain.

Great articles Joe, thanks! Let's hope they get it done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST