PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Robert McClain signing with Pats; UConn alum was w/ Falcons last 3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot Bobby Hamilton who was horrible with the Jets and became a solid multiyear starter on the Super Bowl teams.

Didn't happen. Only studs need apply.

He was signed as a message to our current players that if you can't beat out this guy then you should just give up sports.
Are you referring to Chekwa? So, if he was signed as a message to current players, that reinforces my theory of Fletcher and McClain being signed as a message to Chimdi. It only follows that a couple late-round rookie corners will be drafted as a message to Fletcher and McClain. Altogether, I predict the Patriots cornerbacks for 2015 will comprise Butler, Dennard, Ryan and Arrington.

thumbs-up-low-res1.jpg

Last edited:
Are you referring to Chekwa? So, if he was signed as a message to current players, that reinforces my theory of Fletcher and McClain being signed as a message to Chimdi. It only follows that a couple late-round rookie corners will be drafted as a message to Fletcher and McClain. Altogether, I predict the Patriots cornerbacks for 2015 will comprise Butler, Dennard, Ryan and Arrington.

If I had to guess I think Fletcher sticks and Dennard & McClain go. Fletcher/Butler/Arrington start and hopefully the rookie we draft comes on later in the year to upgrade one of those 2 outside spots.

Sign a bunch of CBs, throw them against the wall, and see what sticks approach

Still not convinced that one of our starting CB's are on the roster yet... still a lot of time.

I wish we knew what happened with Dennard because talk about falling off the face of the Earth.

I can't stand it so I'm trying to find Jets Insider to join up :(
JI closed months ago. But be careful if you're going outside. I just bumped my head on the sky. It's falling.

I wish we knew what happened with Dennard because talk about falling off the face of the Earth.
Living in Nebraska qualifies as a close second.

If I had to guess I think Fletcher sticks and Dennard & McClain go. Fletcher/Butler/Arrington start and hopefully the rookie we draft comes on later in the year to upgrade one of those 2 outside spots.
Dennard was a good starter here for 2 years. Why would you dump him over an injury filled season after a lost off-season?

Would have rather had Newman and Brown, but I guess these guys have more upside because they're younger...McClain seems like a ST move. I'm thinking the Bolden of defense. Fletcher seems like a similar situation to Chung last year. Hopefully turns out the same.

Would have rather had Newman and Brown, but I guess these guys have more upside because they're younger...McClain seems like a ST move. I'm thinking the Bolden of defense. Fletcher seems like a similar situation to Chung last year. Hopefully turns out the same.
McClain definitely does look like a st move.

BB has gotten good play out of many veteran FA dbs over the years (OTIS, Poole, Browner, Buckley to name a few) so there is nothing to lose by these signings. The idea that Fletcher could have a better skillset for our system than Phillys (especially when he has played well at times in his career) is not ludicrous.

It was either McClain, Tarell Brown or nobody at all.
It was either Tarell Brown, or Terence Newman, or Charles Tillman, or Rasheen Mathis, or Sterling Moore, or nothing at all.

Well at least we can say the CB position is better off today than it was yesterday. So we are going in the right direction : P
No, actually the CB position is worse today than it was yesterday.
Had Bill done the sensible thing and signed the other 2 CBs who visited (Brown & Newman), then - and
only then - can we say the the CB position is better today than it was yesterday.

Had Bill done the sensible thing and signed the other 2 CBs who visited (Brown & Newman), then - and
only then - can we say the the CB position is better today than it was yesterday.

I'm curious. Why do you think Bill didn't do the 'sensible thing'? You speak as if a child would know the right answer and BB got it wrong. What do you think the issue with Belichick is that he can't learn this?
I'm not busting your balls I'm really trying to understand your viewpoint.

No, actually the CB position is worse today than it was yesterday.

I understand you are not a fan of these signings. Neither am I. However objectively speaking they did improve the position. They added 2 vets to compete that have starter experience. Signing these guys increases options and the chance someone steps up. That is what I am saying.

Would they be better off if they signed the guys you wanted them to than they are now? I'd think so. However they are better off now than they would be if they signed absolutely no one among those 4.

It was kind of a tongue and cheek comment which I think you took to mean more than it was meant to. The implication was my hope that now that we have signed these guys we sign ever better options and let these Jags compete for back end spots.

That is what I mean by "So we are going in the right direction : P". AKA we have not reached the desired destination as of yet.

Too bad there aren't any examples of the team taking a flyer on a CB who hadn't shown any real promise, who then completely changed his attitude, "played with my hair on fire" in camp, learned everything he possibly could from veterans, and ended the season by making one of the great plays in history to secure a championship. If we had an example like that, then maybe we could have some optimism about one of the current CB's on the roster developing into a competent player or making a comeback. But until something like that happens, we are left with nothing to have faith in.

Brady and Jimmy G are going to tear apart TC.

BB's master plan finally unveiled. After not netting a 1st rounder for Mallett last year, he isn't going to let that happen again. Jimmy G will tear up our new secondary in TC as the world is watching and we will trade him for multiple 1st round picks!

Too bad there aren't any examples of the team taking a flyer on a CB who hadn't shown any real promise, who then completely changed his attitude, "played with my hair on fire" in camp, learned everything he possibly could from veterans, and ended the season by making one of the great plays in history to secure a championship. If we had an example like that, then maybe we could have some optimism about one of the current CB's on the roster developing into a competent player or making a comeback. But until something like that happens, we are left with nothing to have faith in.

Bingo. I am tired of BB bringing in players to see if they can play who obviously cant play. In fact I think the Pats should just either guarantee that all 90 players are awesome or better yet, just let the league know that they dont need the 90 spots and that they will just have about 60 really good players and then cut from there.

That way the odds of all players being pretty sold will be much better and we wont have to see these scrubs.

I'm in the camp who thinks these guys are pretty crappy, however putting on my Homer Hat I do recall that when BB came to the Pats he signed a slew of over the hill, older vets that nobody else wanted and won the 2001 SB with them. :)
Then again, he went 9-7 with these guys in 2002. :(

The reality is that there WILL be no Revis, or Talib-like transaction where a definable #1 CB is coming to the Pats. It just isn't gong to happen. There simply aren't any of those guys available. In fact there are probably less that 16 in the entire league. So we can spend the next 1o or 11 months bemoaning the fact that we don't have that dominant guy, or we can move on and do what we can to improve the secondary.

Clearly the way BB has decided to do that is NOT to go after the mid 30's vets, who are what they are....and its declining fast (like he's done in the past), but rather go after those mide 20's flawed DB's who have the physical talent and you just might be able to turn around. BB is now into the numbers game with the hope that he can recreate this year's Chung at the CB position.

For that reason, I doubt this will be the last CB signing. If we are going to improve the secondary, it will be because we threw enough sh!t against the wall and some of it stuck. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3