PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Aqib Talib re-signs (with Patriots) for One Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, what a year to hit free agency.
Welker at $6mm, Talib at $5mm.

Last year you saw all those players getting $10mm deals.

Given the stage of free agency, and deals so far, the Patriots should be able to re-sign SeaBass easily with the cap space available, and still have room for a pass rusher.

We should learn today about Lloyd, but one way or another more cap space will likely be created.

:)

You mean the agent that rejected the offer from the patriots on Tuesday and presented a deal that was so far from the patriot's offer that the patriots moved on.

Hey, Welker made his decision (or his agent did) to leave New England.

For his sake I hope he doesn't have Welker's agent :eek:

Cap space used for '13

1.5 .......Washington
3.7 .......Amendola
4.0...??...Arrington.......complete details not released
???.........Jones....unkown at this time
???.........Wilson......waiting on details
5.0.........Talib
<1.0.......Niko K....assumed minimum
---------------------------------------------
Approximately 14.2 with 2 unknowns to be included. Starting to add up but still no RT inclusion

Our best secondary in 5 years is complete! Hallelujah.
I'd like to see us add another starting caliber safety.

CB- Talib and McCourty
S- Wilson and new guy
Nickel/Dime Arrington and Dennard
Backup safeties- Wilson and Gregory

That is a deep, deep secondary, and if Dowling gives anything even the better.

You could actually move McCourty to safety in the nickel/dime with Dennard outside and Arrington in the slot, or put Dowling in the mix if he shows something.

This will almost guarantee Arrington is never playing outside, and give us many options in the event of injury.

Sign Abraham and Freeney as well to get a great pass rush, and this will be a top 3 defense overnight. And a SB Champ, regardless of what we do at WR.

Great news, fills another hole. If Abraham really did agree in principle and Dennard is back this season then our D is pretty complete. All we really need now is capable outside CB depth and a coverage LB. Shouldn't be hard to obtain or very costly, and we may even have the answers there already (Glass IR and Fletcher). Great offseason thus far!

Not surprising. Belichick recognizes that he was in fact the main reason their pass defense improved last year. He doesn't want to back to playing musical CBs when he knows Talib gets the job done (when he's on the field).
He was actually the main reason the pass defense SHOULD have improved, but in reality it really didn't do much better with him than without him, which is fine, because we can chalk it up to coming in out of football shape and getting injured twice.
A healthy Talib makes our defense much better. Talib 2012 didn't.

so, how much do you think our secondary is improved next year with our additions?

safetys: Wilson/Mccourty
CB: Talib, Dennard, arrington

provided good health, I think they should be pretty good...but thats always a ???

Cap space used for '13

1.5 .......Washington
3.7 .......Amendola
4.0...??...Arrington.......complete details not released
???.........Jones....unkown at this time
???.........Wilson......waiting on details
5.0.........Talib
<1.0.......Niko K....assumed minimum
---------------------------------------------
Approximately 14.2 with 2 unknowns to be included. Starting to add up but still no RT inclusion

Arrington can't be 4mill. The first year hit isn't going to be the average of the contract. Probably more like 2.5mill when it all comes out.
Also remember you remove about 500k for each guy because they replace someone in the top 51.
I'm guessing the total net cap room used for all of these guys combined is about 15-16 mill

Don't forget about Ras-I Dowling. I still have some hopes for him even though his first 2 seasons were a mess. He has the talent to be a stud and with the Talib contract he isn't that much needed but still can prove that his pick wasn't a complete bust.

I'm really excited for the next season. They haven't been this active in the FA in a long time.

I am still not in love with Talib as many on this board, but this a very good deal for the Pats. I am still concerned about his durability along with his zone coverage skills to go along with his off field stuff. But he comes cheap and not tied up long term if he wears out his welcome.

I suspect that you are one of the very few that wants McCourty to be our starting CB.

BTW, "new guy" rarely works as a starter. We would need to sign Reed and also draft a safety for the future.

I'd like to see us add another starting caliber safety.

CB- Talib and McCourty
S- Wilson and new guy
Nickel/Dime Arrington and Dennard
Backup safeties- Wilson and Gregory

That is a deep, deep secondary, and if Dowling gives anything even the better.

You could actually move McCourty to safety in the nickel/dime with Dennard outside and Arrington in the slot, or put Dowling in the mix if he shows something.

This will almost guarantee Arrington is never playing outside, and give us many options in the event of injury.

Sign Abraham and Freeney as well to get a great pass rush, and this will be a top 3 defense overnight. And a SB Champ, regardless of what we do at WR.

Talib's play wasn't great. But I think that was sort of by design.

It felt - and I could be wrong - that when they had Talib and Dennard back there they went to a more aggressive play. When Talib went out of the Ravens game we started playing soft again.

My guess is that they feel more comfortable leaving Talib and Dennard in 1 on 1 man more often than they feel comfortable leaving Dennard/Arrington or Dennard/Cole.

If they can do that more often it gives them more opportunities to use A Wilson on a corner blitz or coming up to help make up for the coverage deficiencies of our LB corps.

with this year of low leverage i would try a multiyear...
so we will have same problems next year....and $/y will give up...

Talib
Dennard
Dowling
Arrington

w/ McCourty in a pinch.

It's safe to say the Patriots have CB covered.

Mccourty
Gregory
A. Wilson
T. Wilson
Ebner

at safety.

I see room for a developmental guy at CB, maybe M. Williams, and that's pretty much it.

They are DONE at this position (with the exception of not knowing Dennard's status).

Look to sign Vollmer, do something about the DL with Abraham or Freeney, focus on WRs and OL for the draft.

Talib
Dennard
Dowling
Arrington

w/ McCourty in a pinch.

Mccourty
Gregory
A. Wilson
T. Wilson
Ebner

at safety.

I see room for a developmental guy at CB, maybe M. Williams, and that's pretty much it.

They are DONE at this position (with the exception of not knowing Dennard's status).

Look to sign Vollmer, do something about the DL with Abraham or Freeney, focus on WRs and OL for the draft.

They still need another quality CB and, hopefully, they'll go safety in round 1.

Still don't get how he only makes 1 million more than Arrington, but whatever.

People need to stop doing this thing where you divide the cap amount by the number of years and then compare the result to another deal.

What was Arrington's guaranteed amount? What is Talib's guaranteed amount?

I suspect that you are one of the very few that wants McCourty to be our starting CB.

BTW, "new guy" rarely works as a starter. We would need to sign Reed and also draft a safety for the future.
As of yesterday Talib was 'new guy'.

Don't really care how popular my opinion is. I am very confident in it from watching the tape, and making unbiased analysis.
I often disagree with the generally accepted misconception. There are still people here who say every deep pass vs McCourty was a guaranteed completion or DPI when he was called for 2 DPI and allowed 2 deep passes all season. If that is the basis of the consensus, I'll gladly be a contrarian.

I would just like to stop in again and congratulate FNord for spelling "corps" correctly. The part of America that can read and write thanks you.

Last edited:
Talib
Dennard
Dowling
Arrington

w/ McCourty in a pinch.

Mccourty
Gregory
A. Wilson
T. Wilson
Ebner

at safety.

There is no way Gregory is ahead of Adrain Wilson on any depth chart.

Love the move becasue it forces talib to play lights out so he can get his pay day next offseason

if you are going to put Dowling on a list...put him on the IR list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes