PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel and Brady, Physically the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And oddly what also seperates Matt Cassel from the rest of the potential backup contenders...

He knows the system and has the mental capacity as well as requisite physical capacity to run it. He may not be Tom Brady, but he's closer than any of the freakin' mutts whose names the media and squeamish fans want to waste time discussing...

Exactly. I haven't seen Chris Simms play for several years so I have no idea how good or bad he is. However, on EEI yesterday Smerlas said he's not the same quarterback since the spleen surgery and his arm is now rubber.

Plus, he throws lefty. The ball comes out different and he's gonna favor rolling to the left instead of right like Brady and Cassell.

Stick with Cassell and evaluate again at the bye.

Brady's gift was reading defenses and being in sync with his recievers, if Cassell can equal 3/4 of that, he'll do fine. He must do everything he can to stay mistake free. Defenses are going to try and hide their intent, most of the time, Brady saw through that, Cassell must learn to do the same.

After that pass to Moss from the endzone, we saw a number of things.

He stayed cool under serious pressure

Saw the defense unfold and saw Moss get behind his defender and open

Made the 50 yard pass that Tom would have been proud to do himself !

I saw more mistakes from the rest of the team that hurt them, his one mistake ( a pass that was almost picked off ), it didn't hurt but served as a reminder to him to be more careful. Hopefully he keeps learning without costing the team too much.

Even if I wasn't a fan of the team, I would enjoy watching him succeed ! A guy who hasn't started since HS, what a story if he helps us get to the playoffs !! Also, Belichick wins the undisputed crown of best coach ever !
Same goes for the team !!

GO PATS !!

The simple fact is that we don't know how Cassel is going to turn out. Just like we don't know which team will win any particular game. That's one of the problems with real life. It always turns out exactly as you thought it would, until it doesn't.

I think that at the least, it's going to be an entertaining season--and I don't agree with the fellow who said it's a year out of his life and a lose. You never know--and we have a pretty damn good team. Give up? Are you kidding? Not these guys.

Im as optimistic as anyone, but lets not compare Cassel to Brady. be realistic. We are going to pound the rock, loosen up the defense with bombs to moss, and hope Cassel is efficient in getting the ball inside to Welker. They are going to blitz early and often against us now, lets hope Cassel can read a defense.

The one thing that should give Cassell a huge advantage is that he has been in a thousand meetings and a thousand practices with TB the past few years. When they cover game film and defensive tendencies, Tom and Matt were most likely side by side going over the same information. And Tom, was pointing out where weaknesses were in secondaries and coverages.

I'm not expecting Cassell to pick up where Brady left off, but I have to believe that Cassell is the #2 for a damn good reason and that reason may have something to do with that Cassell has shown he "gets it".

ummm... well, compared a seal, a whale, or some other animals... there isn't any real physical difference between me and Brady.

I mean, if you think about it... BB already knows the whole playbook... and there isn't REALLY a big difference between Brady and BB... they both have arms, legs, toes..... why not "skip the middleman and start BB".

Look, I was FOR cutting Cassel in the preseason... but I said then, and I'll say now... in BB, I trust. He kept him... and that's good enough for me.

That being said... the 2001 Tom Brady was unknown (and I was wrong about him vs. Bledsoe, too)... but HE STILL WAS TOM BRADY.

COULD MC be the next TB.... I guess.... I doubt it, though... but I'm hopeful that he's good enough for us to win the AFC East.

But let's not insult one of the best QBs of all time, by saying that there isn't a tremendous fall-off from our starter, all world Hall of Fame QB to his backup that hasn't started a game since HS.

Look, with TB... we go 13 -3 or 14 -2 this season... without him, we're looking at what 10-6 or 11-5 (BTW, AWESOME records prior to the BB era)... BUT, our division plays one of the weakest schedules... so Buff.. is also looking at being 10-6 or 11-5... and... it is entirely possible (if not probable, if we don't win out the division)... that only ONE AFC East team is going to the playoffs (See CLE, PIT, IND, JAX and yes, TEN for reasons why).

BB will modify our "style" to fit what we have... we will push hard... but we lost our best player (and a HUGE amount of cap space) when TB went down... we're going to be in a battle for the AFC East... and we NEED to win to have a real shot at the playoffs.

Just my 2 pennies... and I did start off sort of sarcastic... but c'mon.... TB is TB.... MC is a backup... and one that many of us expected to be cut AND NOT PICKED UP BY ANOTHER TEAM 10 days ago.

Lets be fair to Cassel.

There is no comparison between Matt Cassel and Brady07.

But Matt Cassel did something that Brady01 didn't do:

Win a game based solely on mental reps.

Buckle up his chin straps, go into a game and win it even though he wasn't the one who took the practice reps. Engineer a scoring drive on a game he didn't start.

Brady had an opportunity to lead to tie the Jets game, but he threw 5 incomplete passes out of 10.

If you want to compare Brady to Cassel do so. But compare him to the 01 version not the 07 version.

Brady's passer rating was a 62.9 vs the Jets. Cassel vs. KC 116.0

Both their bodies are very similar, its only the throwing touch and mental part that might be different.

Jessica Alba and Roseanne Barr are very similar, it's only in looks, age, and attitude that they might be different.

:D

OK, I hope Matt succeeds, but your "qualifiers" made me chuckle. They are not very similar at all, really, as far as well can tell. But we certainly can't tell much, since Matt is about as much an unknown quantity as possible to emerge in the NFL, having just made his first meaningful on-field appearance since high school.

Last edited:
Both their bodies are very similar, its only the throwing touch and mental part that might be different.

Well not comparing accomplishment, just their physical abilities. How accurate is Cassel?
Brady was known to be an accurate QB way back in 2001, so right now as it is how accurate is Cassel, from what I heard he is not very accurate, well thats what the guys on PFW in progress mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft