PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cardona cleared to play, apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, I don't see why they can't let him play out his 4 year rookie contract, then serve a couple years after, and be free to go back to football after. Having a professional player from the academies would give good visibility, wouldn't it? I know he's a long snapper, but still.

My guess is that the Navy is using the one Year okay to make sure he makes the team and plays.
If he becomes our full time ling snapper than they will make a ruling next year to allow him to fulfill the rest of the contract.

Listen, I never like to question Bill, but first off, why in the world would you spend a fifth-round draft pick on a Long Snapper, who pretty much could've been a UDFA singing, and secondly, why spend it on a guy who may have to leave the team at some point in the near future?

Seems like there's now controversy, however small it may be, for what should otherwise be the most controversy-free position.

A fifth-round Cornerback would look might fine on the roster over Cardona. No offense to him, as he could possibly end up being the league's greatest LS of all-time, who knows, but that is not a position you invest a solid draft pick into when there's a glaring need on this roster.

Rant over.
BB used a fifth round pick to show the Navy that Cardona was likely to make the team. This helps in getting the wavier to allow him postpone his active duty requirement upon graduation.

Did I read somewhere that you can pay the government the cost of your education back if you can't fulfill your military obligation? Did Kyle Eckel have to do that because of the trouble he got in??

BB used a fifth round pick to show the Navy that Cardona was likely to make the team. This helps in getting the wavier to allow him postpone his active duty requirement upon graduation.

I understand that, but making Cardona the earliest drafted LS in NFL Draft history was a reach, especially considering he has a much more important obligation to our country. Not sure how anyone can debate that.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm excited to hopefully have a new LS over Aiken.

I understand that, but making Cardona the earliest drafted LS in NFL Draft history was a reach, especially considering he has a much more important obligation to our country. Not sure how anyone can debate that.

OTOH, if the DOD felt it were that important for cadets to fulfill the requirement, they could easily restate the rules: "This obligation takes priority over all other pursuits, and may not be abrogated for any reason, including but not limited to: yada yada yada."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News