PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cardona cleared to play, apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Last month the Patriots drafted Navy long-snapper Joe Cardona and the Navy has agreed to also allow him to delay his deployment until after the 2015 NFL season so he can play professional football. "

Great news!

What the? Only one year? Glad to have him, but that seems odd.

They will let the "storm" die down. He will be put in the reserves to do his duty in the off season. It irritates me that the academies put so much emphasis on sport, especially football and when the half dozen get drafted its a big deal. It shouldn't be. You played well enough, getting drafted sheds good light on the programs so why not let them play? Seems easy enough to me.

Cardona > Brady. Now, we needn't worry about the totally legit punishment Brady received for Mother Nature's faux pas.

I agree with the previous post : the academies should enjoy the positive news NFL draftees generate.

They will let the "storm" die down. He will be put in the reserves to do his duty in the off season. It irritates me that the academies put so much emphasis on sport, especially football and when the half dozen get drafted its a big deal. It shouldn't be. You played well enough, getting drafted sheds good light on the programs so why not let them play? Seems easy enough to me.
Right, I don't see why they can't let him play out his 4 year rookie contract, then serve a couple years after, and be free to go back to football after. Having a professional player from the academies would give good visibility, wouldn't it? I know he's a long snapper, but still.

Right, I don't see why they can't let him play out his 4 year rookie contract, then serve a couple years after, and be free to go back to football after. Having a professional player from the academies would give good visibility, wouldn't it? I know he's a long snapper, but still.

Or, hell, let him be a recruiter like the soccer player.

I can understand why they wouldn't want to, they spend a ton of time and money to send those guys through school. But, if he wants to pay it back which I believe they do then I don't really see a problem with it.

I can understand why they wouldn't want to, they spend a ton of time and money to send those guys through school. But, if he wants to pay it back which I believe they do then I don't really see a problem with it.

Technically "WE" spend the money. No different in my opinion than any other college (other than the school itself paying) that pays a scholarship. Plus it's a rare occurrence. He shouldn't pay back a dime.

Technically "WE" spend the money. No different in my opinion than any other college (other than the school itself paying) that pays a scholarship. Plus it's a rare occurrence. He shouldn't pay back a dime.
Good point. What's the difference between going to Navy and getting a scholarship from a state school?

Maybe they (Navy) want to see if he makes the team? Then perhaps he can defer again.

I wonder if the one year thing is holding up the contract. Cardona would normally get a bonus
depending on where he was slotted. In this case, the Patriots get only one year and then who knows.

Our special teams are exceptional all over. He only improves them. My only wish is that Amendola not return kicks. Too worried about injuries, for a guy who gets hurt a lot.

Maybe they (Navy) want to see if he makes the team? Then perhaps he can defer again.
Could be. Seeing as he was a 5th rounder at a position that rarely even gets drafted, and he's the only LS on the roster, I would think his chances are pretty good.

How much money do you think the Navy spends on marketing and recruitment? The costs for training a recruit who then goes on to play in the NFL, the most watched league in the world, is only good for them and their marketing.. They'll make the money back on him ten fold...

Its not an issue about money at all, IMO.. Heck, look at that news story released recently about how like 10 different NFL teams were PAID by the military to salute their troops.

There have been a few cases where Midshipmen have been expelled or refused to accept a commission after graduation. In those cases, they were ordered (and forced) to pay back the cost(s) of their education. Something in the neighborhood of $160K for the four years. The Navy (and the Army for their guys) considered that the student was repaying the tax payers, since it is we, the people, who pay for that education.

I agree completely with that idea. Having said that, in the fine print there's a line about "you agree to accept a commission, if offered". It was the same thing I had in my contract with the Army ROTC program. If you fail to accept, for whatever reason, they can involuntarily induct you for a 6-year standard contract as an enlisted man (or woman, as the case may be).

The Navy can also delay the commission, for a certain length of time, or have the individual also serve in the reserve component while awaiting a slot for active duty. They can also reduce, or lower the amount of time required for your active duty commitment. That's what happened with Roger Staubach, who was another Naval Academy graduate. He did 2 years active duty, including service in Vietnam, and then came back to play with the Cowboys.

I suspect that in Cardona's case, if he makes the team, he could have his active-duty time waived for 2 years, or even be released from his commitment altogether, depending upon the needs of the Navy.

It's going to be interesting to watch and see what happens.

Tbh I'd rather he just got it out of the way as soon as he makes the team. If Roger Staubach and David Robinson did two years I find it perfectly acceptable for Cardona to do his. I'd be proud to have him as a Patriot when he returned.

Listen, I never like to question Bill, but first off, why in the world would you spend a fifth-round draft pick on a Long Snapper, who pretty much could've been a UDFA singing, and secondly, why spend it on a guy who may have to leave the team at some point in the near future?

Seems like there's now controversy, however small it may be, for what should otherwise be the most controversy-free position.

A fifth-round Cornerback would look might fine on the roster over Cardona. No offense to him, as he could possibly end up being the league's greatest LS of all-time, who knows, but that is not a position you invest a solid draft pick into when there's a glaring need on this roster.

Rant over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey