Cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the minority here.

I think that Cannon still could be the swing 2016 OT, especially if Thuney is needed at OG.

It seems clear that Belichick and Scar like him a lot more than posters, and the team also understands the cap implications more than we do. (I suspect that most of us would be OK with Cannon as a backup for less money).

I think that Cannon still could be the swing 2016 OT, especially if Thuney is needed at OG.

It seems clear that Belichick and Scar like him a lot more than posters, and the team also understands the cap implications more than we do. (I suspect that most of us would be OK with Cannon as a backup for less money).

Let's be honest....Whenever NE does not win a SB, some fans need a scapegoat and Cannon is that guy. No one said a word about him, even a week before the loss to the Broncos in the Chiefs game. Not one word.

He was battling a toe injury, too, maybe ture toe, which is painful enough to be distracting. Cannon didn't forget how to play overnight. He never made an excuse for it, but he was playing hurt.

If anything, I blame BB, Brady and McDaniels for that stupid gameplan. I would have promoted Iosefa, and run Bolden a lot in the first half with Mike Williams to Cannon's right, and run right at the feeble run defender Von Miller. Ware, too.

I don't get the gameplan. You have a RT with turf toe, don't trust Fleming, apparently, or Waddle, and you go shotgun spread 50+ times on the road? Terrible idea.

May Cannon now be deemed too pricey? Maybe. But, considering Vollmer always seems to get dinged every year, as good as Vollmer is, Cannon was been a good Swing tackle here. He always appeared to be more of a Guard to me, but I think for this team, with their zone schemes and need for athleticism at Guard, he's a Tackle here.

At the end of the day, I am very happy with the talent, youth and Scar coming back. I'll take those odds.

Keep in mind, this team was 10-0 until the injuries started piling up.

Cannon just turned in two horrible seasons consecutively - spot work in 2014 and major playing time in 2015. What's worse is his issue is both technique and simple mental errors. The whole line played inconsistently last season - be it injury or just not being able to settle in - yet he stood out more than anyone else, IMHO. He seems to me like someone who is a little unsure of himself out there mostly. Maybe he can turn things around with Scar, since he did seem to play better in his earlier days with Scar.

Let's be honest....Whenever NE does not win a SB, some fans need a scapegoat and Cannon is that guy. No one said a word about him, even a week before the loss to the Broncos in the Chiefs game. Not one word.

He was battling a toe injury, too, maybe ture toe, which is painful enough to be distracting. Cannon didn't forget how to play overnight. He never made an excuse for it, but he was playing hurt.

If anything, I blame BB, Brady and McDaniels for that stupid gameplan. I would have promoted Iosefa, and run Bolden a lot in the first half with Mike Williams to Cannon's right, and run right at the feeble run defender Von Miller. Ware, too.

I don't get the gameplan. You have a RT with turf toe, don't trust Fleming, apparently, or Waddle, and you go shotgun spread 50+ times on the road? Terrible idea.

May Cannon now be deemed too pricey? Maybe. But, considering Vollmer always seems to get dinged every year, as good as Vollmer is, Cannon was been a good Swing tackle here. He always appeared to be more of a Guard to me, but I think for this team, with their zone schemes and need for athleticism at Guard, he's a Tackle here.

At the end of the day, I am very happy with the talent, youth and Scar coming back. I'll take those odds.

Keep in mind, this team was 10-0 until the injuries started piling up.
Where did you spend last season, dude? We've been hating on Cannon for a loooong time.

Sure, whatever's best for the team.

I do sort of hate him though.

Let's be honest....Whenever NE does not win a SB, some fans need a scapegoat and Cannon is that guy.
I don't remember seeing him named as a scapegoat in any of the seasons NE failed to win a SB besides this season, and frankly, he did not turn in a good season overall. Everybody at the professional level can put together a few good plays or even a game or two. The truth is though he is not the sole reason NE failed to win it all last season, his play was not anywhere near top level, or even good in a lot of games last season. This was the case even before he hurt his toe. Let's no pretend that the people who are criticizing him are just being mean or irrational. Let's not exaggerate his good play any more than the very people you are implying are overly exaggerating his poor play. Simply put the man was inconsistent for the better part of two seasons now and that's not someone you necessarily should want protecting your soon-to-be 39 year old HOF QB . . . one that still shows the ability to lead your team to and win a SB.

Last edited:
Where did you spend last season, dude? We've been hating on Cannon for a loooong time.
Not just that either. There were so many other things just downright interesting in the post. So many things . . .

I don't remember seeing him named as a capegoat in any of the seasons NE failed to win a SB besides this season, and frankly, he did not turn in a good season overall. Everybody at the professional level can put together a few good plays or even a game or two. The truth is though he is not the sole reason NE failed to win it all last season, his play was not anywhere near top level, or even good in a lot of games last season. This was the case even before he hurt his toe. Let's no pretend that the people who are criticizing him are just being mean or irrational. Let's not exaggerate his good play any more than the very people you are implying are overly exaggerating his poor play. Simply put the man was inconsistent for the better part of two seasons now and that's not someone you necessarily should want protecting your soon-to-be 39 year old HOF QB . . . one that still shows the ability to lead your team to and win a SB.

I don't agree. Sorry. He's barely played since Vollmer was healthy all the way through 2014.

Last year he played more, obviously, after Week 4 when Solder went down.

How can you seriously judge one player, when the team had 21 players on IR? BB spent the last 4 games going vanilla and being cautious with star players nursing injuries. I am pretty sure when your gameplan blows, your RT is injured in single blocking schemes against a roided up Von Miller, you might have some issues.

Kinda silly to analyze players when you know the team was dismantled by injuries.

And, this probably isn't the thread to do it in, but some of our fans are clueless when it comes to understanding how risky Brady's preferred offense is for this team.

Whether it's 2007 in SB 42 and a LOADED O Line looking bad for 4 qtrs, or any other disappointing ending in a season, where the pressure is ENORMOUS on our O Line because O'Brien and McDaniels are brain dead calling games against the better defenses.

It's not a player problem, it's a fundamental problem in terms of gameplan and approach.

Last time I checked, Brady was the best playaction QB of all time, but you can't get to playaction if you're busy running a shotgun spread AND subbing the RB on and off, telegraphing what kind of a play you're going to run.

I can call out the play NE will run on offense based on which RB is subbed on and off and obviously when Brady is in the shotgun, over and over and over.

It's too easy on defenses.

Been going on since SB 42, but hey, Brady says he "prefers" the shotgun spread. Meanwhile, our entire O Line is under immense pressure for 50+ shotgun dropbacks against a front 7 that can dictate to them, guess the snap count, stunt and have the advantage.

So, what do I know, right?

Funny how our O Lines are praised all year by outsiders, and then all of a sudden, we face a good or great front 7 in the postseason, Brady throws a minimum 2 INTs in his shotgun spread preference, everyone wants to blame the defense or non-stars on the offense, and voila, we're eeking out a win or serving up wins to the opponent on a silver platter.

Give me Week 5 - Week 17, post Moss trade, 2010 Brady... all day, everyday.

All that said, one way or another, the Cannon problem needs to be...

cannon.jpg

...fixed. o_O

Last year's line struggles looked as if they came down to:

Early struggles, followed by injury, for Solder
Vollmer becoming more and more brittle every year
Lingering injury to Cannon
Stork never really seemed to recover 100% from his injury
Mason, as expected, needing seasoning against the pass
Jackson disappointing, then becoming injured
The backups not getting it done
OL coach not getting cohesion out of the line, and not spotting problem issues

People think Cannon's got to go, but I don't see any of the OL being a lock for any positive reason. For example, Solder's likely safe because of the big cap hit if he's moved, and the lack of a clear LT1 to replace him, much more than because of his play in the last 2 seasons.

To me, Cannon is a reasonable, albeit overpriced, swing OT. Unless, the team is ready to move on toe Waddle, then I think that Cannon stays. And yes, a key issue is whether Cannon is healthy.

The reality is that Vollmer is always a question mark.

Cannon did fine when Vollmer went down in 2013.

Cannon did fine when Solder went down. But then suffered a severe toe injury vs DAL and was hobbling all year. He was brutal in long stretches.

The coaching staff and Googs screwed him up by moving him to G. 2014 was a lost season.

I am a believer that Scar can get him right.

With that said they overpaid on his extension as he has not been consistent or healthy enough to deserve it.

I am ok with him on the team but not as his current salary.

To me, Cannon is a reasonable, albeit overpriced, swing OT. Unless, the team is ready to move on toe Waddle, then I think that Cannon stays. And yes, a key issue is whether Cannon is healthy.

The reality is that Vollmer is always a question mark.

How so?

Given the current options, Cannon seems to make sense for at least one more season, particularly given the lack of other backup LT options.

Last year's line struggles looked as if they came down to:

Early struggles, followed by injury, for Solder
Vollmer becoming more and more brittle every year
Lingering injury to Cannon
Stork never really seemed to recover 100% from his injury
Mason, as expected, needing seasoning against the pass
Jackson disappointing, then becoming injured
The backups not getting it done
OL coach not getting cohesion out of the line, and not spotting problem issues

People think Cannon's got to go, but I don't see any of the OL being a lock for any positive reason. For example, Solder's likely safe because of the big cap hit if he's moved, and the lack of a clear LT1 to replace him, much more than because of his play in the last 2 seasons.

I you look at the way Solder and Cannon's deal are structured, their short term type deals, so he's basically upping the camp competition to see if those guys are worthy keeping moving forward.

Something isn't quite right with the amount of Tackles and Guards in here, unless they don't like Andrews anymore and Thuney is the new Andrews?

They also just drafted Karras and also added Cooper into the Kline swing Guard mix.

I think it's just a load it up and see who rises to the top approach. BB will be cutting a lot of solid OL when this is all said and done.

I think it's just a load it up and see who rises to the top approach. BB will be cutting a lot of solid OL when this is all said and done.

I think you may be overestimating the number of solid OL currently on the team.

He gets dinged up every year. Other than that, he's been the best RT in the AFC, if not the league, for years.
Other than the back injury from years ago and the broken leg in 2013 hes been pretty durable. Its not like hes always missing a handful of games every year.

Check out his games played. Hes fine.

I'm strongly biased toward athletes at tackle, even at the expense of bulk. So Cannon has never been my cup of tea, and I would dearly love to upgrade from him. As it stands now, though, he's probably still the 3rd-best tackle on the roster, so IMO he goes nowhere this year.

The good news is that the additions of Cooper and Thuney along with health and maturation from the other interior OL should make the OTs' jobs a little easier in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes