PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can this team afford the BPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirtsleeve

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Can this team keep this trend up? Or will BB/SP address the holes in the roster? My thoughts are we address the ILB situation through FA, take our lumps at DB and continue this process in the draft.....
Thoughts?

Can this team keep this trend up? Or will BB/SP address the holes in the roster? My thoughts are we address the ILB situation through FA, take our lumps at DB and continue this process in the draft.....
Thoughts?

In the first few rounds, the Pats don't draft for needs, and they don't draft BPA. They draft for value.

That's why they've used three first-rounders on the DL in the past--and why they're very unlikely to do so now. Similarly, for the sake of argument, let's assume that Brady Quinn is the BPA at pick 24. The Pats wouldn't take him, because, at the amount of money he'd be paid to ride the pine, it's just not worth it. [I could, however, see them taking a QB on day one when it comes time to groom Brady's eventual replacement.]

I stand corrected. You are right, of course. I remember rookBostons value grouping discussions last year. But this doesn't answer my question. Do you think they will vary from that as they have occasionally done in the past, to target an individual player, or do they stand fast?

I stand corrected. You are right, of course. I remember rookBostons value grouping discussions last year. But this doesn't answer my question. Do you think they will vary from that as they have occasionally done in the past, to target an individual player, or do they stand fast?

As much as I sometimes question the highest rated player on their board routine, have to trust in their method. I would not change. But I suspect there will be some leaning towards a Safety, CB or LB.. one of the things I have never read about, but am fascinated to know about, is how do the Pats make decisions on draft day.. who provides input, what is the chain of command and how it is all done.. it would be a fascinating read.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure if this will help -- but I'll try:

Going into each draft, the Pats have an overall objective, hypothetically say they want to add depth to the LB and CB positions. They have a draft board with players stacked and ranked vertically (at each position), spread horizontally across the board. Each player is assigned a grade.They then rank vertically again with a list of those who have the same grade. When it's time to make a selection, they scan their board and look at the highest ranked players. Hypothetically, their highest ranked player overall may be an OT...but their next highest ranked player is a CB or LB. Because their "overall objective" was to add depth to LB or CB, they will pass on that OT and select that LB or CB.

So in essence, they don't draft for need -- but they also don't draft strictly BPA (best player available). Need is always factored into the decision making process for each selection -- MAKING IT A VALUE PICK.

Also, the entire selection process is based on draft strategy and management. The Pats selections will be based on how the board unfolds before they pick. Hypothetically again, let's say we want to add a playmaker (S or CB) to our defense. If the highest ranked DBs are off the board by the time we pick, we won't reach for ANY prospect just to meet a goal. We'll stay true to our board and select the highest ranked player based on what role and how that player fits the team.

Hope this helps...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents