PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can I say it now? Vollmer is our new LT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said..... I just hope he is not tossed aside immediately to accommodate Light's ego for LT. Vollmer better get a shot at LT with a healthy Light. hell..... Mix and match if you really have to.

First of all, Belichick doesn't play favorites based on egos.

Second of all, Light will get his starting job back because right now he is the best LT the Pats have.

I like him too he's big,strong and seems to have his head on straight for the most part. He's had a few bad plays but what rookie doesn't? I say give him some time and he could be a Pro Bowler.

As far as Light's job I would not worry about that, light is a stud and even though he gets beat by some of the faster Linemen, he's been a Pat through thick and thin. I would take him on my team any day......

Last edited:
If nothing else I'd say he's way better than Kaczur.

Vollmer has played well for a rookie. I have to give him that. However, he is still extremely raw. Yesterday, he had several false start and holding penalties. Give him another year and the guy is going to be a beast. But this year is Light's year once he comes back.

Exactly, he played well for a rookie and clearly has the 'potential' to outshine Light in a matter of time, but not today.

If Matt doesn't get back from injury quick, things could change but that would have more to do with health than youth versus experience.

If nothing else I'd say he's way better than Kaczur.

I'd disagree. Then again, I think Kazcur is a better lineman than Light (and looking at the fact that they extended Kazcur, and drafted someone to replace Light...)

I'd disagree. Then again, I think Kazcur is a better lineman than Light (and looking at the fact that they extended Kazcur, and drafted someone to replace Light...)

Last year they drafted someone to replace Brady, and?

You take care of the most important pieces of your Franchise.

First of all, Belichick doesn't play favorites based on egos.

Second of all, Light will get his starting job back because right now he is the best LT the Pats have.

Absolutely agree, although he did a fine job in ML's absence. Looks like we have another decent OT in the wings--great news.

But the LT job is Matt Light's for at least this yr, IMO.

I agree. I just don't think Matt Light is one of those.

Most people around the league, and everyone involved with the Pats would disagree.

He's been a starter since the day he was drafted - you don't do that, on three Championship teams, if you're anything other than very good.

He's been a starter since the day he was drafted - you don't do that, on three Championship teams, if you're anything other than very good.

So has Kaczur.

Everyone wants to see a 6-8 monster on our line crushing D-linemen like a wrecking ball, but he's raw and Light is definitely the better player at this point.

As long as Light returns soon, we have the perfect scenario here: a pro-bowl left tackle who has had Brady's back about as well as any lineman could be expected to for a long time now. But he's not getting any younger, so BB drafts a freak of nature to back up the tackle position and eventually replace him.

Vollmer has gotten some very valuable game experience the last few weeks. Hopefully the sky's the limit after Dante has more time with him. (Although if he's not playing on a gimpy ankle somehow I can picture him throwing a guy like Freeney around like a rag doll). :)

So has Kaczur.

Kaczur's been a starter on three Championship winning teams?

No-one's dogging Kaczur, I think he's a good player and I'm happy with his presence at RT.

Light is a very good player though, no ifs or buts.

Then why did they extend Kazcur and not Light?

They'll likely get Light signed up next year, the year before his contract is up - as they did with Kaczur.

Because they've not sorted out Mankins' deal yet, does that mean they don't rate him?

Last edited:
Kaczur's been a starter on three Championship winning teams?
Kaczur has been a starter since he was drafted.

Light is a very good player though, no ifs or buts.
So, Light is very good because you say he is? He's good, but he gets beat by speed rushers consistently, and is terrible in power running situations.

They'll likely get Light signed up next year, the year before his contract is up - as they did with Kaczur.
I doubt it.

Because they've not sorted out Mankins' deal yet, does that mean they don't rate him?

They didn't extend the other guard and then spend a second rounder on a guard, did they? The situations aren't really similar.

Last edited:
Kaczur has been a starter since he was drafted.

The key part about Light is that he's protected Brady's blindside on three Championship teams - you have to be a very good player to do that, to claim otherwise is idiotic.

Oh, and by the way, O'Callaghan took Kaczur's job from him at the start of the '06 season if you remember.....

So, Light is very good because you say he is? He's good, but he gets beat by speed rushers consistently, and is terrible in power running situations.

So if he's terrible, why's he been at LT since 2001? Surely if he was the bum you claim he is, Bill and Dante would have canned him? We'd have seen him beaten like a mule in every single game he's ever played?

I'll take their opinion of him, that they've formed by watching him in practice, in game and on tape, than yours that simply makes wild and unfounded claims.

I doubt it.

I don't.

They didn't extend the other guard and then spend a second rounder on a guard, did they? The situations aren't really similar.

They are, you're simply acting like they're not. The Pats tend to leave contract renewals until the year before they're up.

They drafted Vollmer because they saw their next LT - they likely have Kaczur's replacement in LeVoir.

Last edited:
I doubt it.
Love this dialogue! :rofl:

Vollmer has gotten some very valuable game experience the last few weeks. Hopefully the sky's the limit after Dante has more time with him. (Although if he's not playing on a gimpy ankle somehow I can picture him throwing a guy like Freeney around like a rag doll). :)

Now seeing Seabass beat on Freeney like the punk dolt owes him money- that would be priceless! :violent: :rocker:

First, Seymour isn't on our roster anymore. Derrick Burgess has more sacks than him. So apparently Derrick Burgess is playing like a stud this year then by your logic.

Second, White has 13 career sacks and he has been in the league since 2002 on and off. He had a freakishly good year in 2007 with 8 sacks and has dropped off ever since. He had 5 sacks last year and 1.5 this year.

Third, over last year and this year, several players have as much sacks as Stylez White. Mike Wright between last year and this year has 6.5 sacks (smae as Stylez White). Derrick Burrgess has 6.5 sack or the same as White. Adalius Thomas has 6 sack or 0.5 less than Stylez White.

Good to know that Adalius Thomas and Derrick Burgess are having Pro Bowl caliber seasons. Thanks for enlightening us. Since White is a top DE in the league and AD and Burgess are peforming like him, they gotta be playing Pro Bowl caliber football.
Thanks for the heads up on how to make presumptuous arguments. I never said 95% of what you're arguing, and I'm well aware of the fact that Seymour isn't on the team. and...ignore.

I was a Sea Bass fans when many fans were grumbling about his being picked.

I was a Sea Bass fans when many fans were grumbling about his being picked.

Below is your post from 4/27 regarding Vollmer. All the quotes in your post just show that people who saw Vollmer play weren't surprised that his stock rose. You were "intrigued", but let's not make it seem like you were a fan and loved this pick, while everyone else hated it. That's exaggerating the truth a bit!

Your Original Post:
"Like most Pats fans, I am intrigued by this guy, as well. Why did he go from the projected 4/5 round to the second? What did BB see?

One writer presented the following:

"Vollmer was originally slated to go in the 4th or 5th round, but his stock rose quickly due to a great offseason. He was the best looking offensive lineman in the East-West Shrine game." (Crowe, 2009)

This is an interesting tidbit, indeed. In fact, many reports out of the Houston did not seem to be too surprised by Vollmer's rise in value.

"A First-Team, All-Conference USA performer last year, Vollmer rose up the draft boards over the last few months, using his workouts and performances in the East-West Shrine Game, as well as the UH Pro Day and individual workouts to showcase his skills to the NFL scouts." (University of Houston, 2009)

"It was during the East-West Shrine workouts that the Patriots took notice of him. Dante Scarnecchia, the Patriots’ assistant head coach/offensive line, then ran UH’s pro day, and he put Vollmer through offensive line drills. His versatility intrigued the Patriots, Belichick said in an interview with ESPN after selecting Vollmer." (Manfull, 2009)"

Last edited:
dummerville is having a career year and is in the NFL running for MVP or might be the defensive player of the year.

he is a speed rusher and had only 1 down game due to some LT named matt light .other than that he is lighting up every huge tackle he is lining up against as no 320-350lb tackle is going to keep up with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back