PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can an Xs and Os guy explain to me why Moss is uniquely important to an offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to form an opinion on this trade, but my knowledge of football and coverages is just not up to the task. I certainly comprehend that Randy Moss makes other receivers better by drawing double coverage on deep routes, and players like Welker reap the benefits. However, why is it that Moss is always spoken about as being uniquely great at doing this? Is it something about how defenses must game plan to stop him in particular?

I look at players like Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, and Calvin Johnson. Do these guys not demand the same type of double coverage with safety help as Moss? What about burners like Miles Austin and Desean Jackson? Don't these guys do just as much as Moss to open up underneath routes, and also have a bigger selection of patterns to run?

Is it possible that any talented player will necessarily make other players better by demanding more attention? Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson open up the passing game, right? Antonio Gates helps receivers and running backs because his presence, right?

I understand that Moss, at least was, and perhaps still is, one of the great downfield threats. But is his presence as a decoy overrated? I mean, looking at the production from some of the players mentioned above, don't they draw double teams, help other players exploit mismatches, and also put big numbers at the same time?

I'm curious to understand this in greater detail from someone who really understands how NFL coverages work. Is Moss worthy of all the hype? Is a game where he only catches a few passes really an elite performance, in comparison to other great receivers?

Thanks in advance.

i've been wondering the same thing. and doesn't it bode well for a player like Tate if he doesn't draw double coverage? Brady has proved throughout his career that he's capable of hitting anyone when they're open.

Did I miss a transaction? Did we acquire Johnson, Wayne, Jackson, Marshall, Fitzgerald or Johnson? Or do you think that Tate is as good as those guys? That you even compare Moss with those players shows that he IS special, not that he is not.

I'm trying to form an opinion on this trade, but my knowledge of football and coverages is just not up to the task. I certainly comprehend that Randy Moss makes other receivers better by drawing double coverage on deep routes, and players like Welker reap the benefits. However, why is it that Moss is always spoken about as being uniquely great at doing this? Is it something about how defenses must game plan to stop him in particular?

I look at players like Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, and Calvin Johnson. Do these guys not demand the same type of double coverage with safety help as Moss? What about burners like Miles Austin and Desean Jackson? Don't these guys do just as much as Moss to open up underneath routes, and also have a bigger selection of patterns to run?

Is it possible that any talented player will necessarily make other players better by demanding more attention? Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson open up the passing game, right? Antonio Gates helps receivers and running backs because his presence, right?

I understand that Moss, at least was, and perhaps still is, one of the great downfield threats. But is his presence as a decoy overrated? I mean, looking at the production from some of the players mentioned above, don't they draw double teams, help other players exploit mismatches, and also put big numbers at the same time?

I'm curious to understand this in greater detail from someone who really understands how NFL coverages work. Is Moss worthy of all the hype? Is a game where he only catches a few passes really an elite performance, in comparison to other great receivers?

Thanks in advance.

Did I miss a transaction? Did we acquire Johnson, Wayne, Jackson, Marshall, Fitzgerald or Johnson? Or do you think that Tate is as good as those guys? That you even compare Moss with those players shows that he IS special, not that he is not.

You must have misread the post. The question is if Moss has a uniquely singular talent. The question isn't whether the Patriots will have a better offense, which by signs, they will not.

The reason for me asking this is why when Moss is discussed by pundits, he is always considered a guy who makes the team better. I believe this went into full throttle with Welker's insane production. Of course, when Moss was in Minnesota, slot receivers were not catching 130 passes per season.

I don't think I've disputed that Moss is a special player, and I loved having him in NE. In fact, I'm pissed that he's gone. Again, the question is, can you make the same argument for all of these guys? A good player is a good player. They are always double teamed and the focal point of the team in all sports. But Andre Johnson is double teamed and still puts up 1400 yards. LeBron James is double teamed and still scored 30 points. Why is that when Randy Moss has zero catches he is praised as a decoy? Is there something about him that I don't understand? It reminds me a bit of Favre. You can always come back to: he makes everyone around him better. I think good talent makes others better regardless of who you are, and I'm failing to understand why Moss is the most irreplaceable receiver in the NFL, especially considering his limited route running.

OK, thanks for clarifying.

I don't think that Moss is a "singular" talent at this point in his career. He is simply ONE of many top receivers in the league. Moss is the 2nd best wide receiver to have ever played the game. But, no I don't think him better now than someone like Andre Johnson.

That being said, I think that losing Moss is a signficant loss for the offense. Bringing back Branch is not about Branch being as good as Moss. The hope is that the offense will be able to produce as much with branch as they would have with Moss. This MIGHT be accomplished by changing the offense to utilize Branch's skills. The very idea of running the same offense expecting Tate to replace Moss is a ridiculous propostion.

You must have misread the post. The question is if Moss has a uniquely singular talent. The question isn't whether the Patriots will have a better offense, which by signs, they will not.

The reason for me asking this is why when Moss is discussed by pundits, he is always considered a guy who makes the team better. I believe this went into full throttle with Welker's insane production. Of course, when Moss was in Minnesota, slot receivers were not catching 130 passes per season.

I don't think I've disputed that Moss is a special player, and I loved having him in NE. In fact, I'm pissed that he's gone. Again, the question is, can you make the same argument for all of these guys? A good player is a good player. They are always double teamed and the focal point of the team in all sports. But Andre Johnson is double teamed and still puts up 1400 yards. LeBron James is double teamed and still scored 30 points. Why is that when Randy Moss has zero catches he is praised as a decoy? Is there something about him that I don't understand? It reminds me a bit of Favre. You can always come back to: he makes everyone around him better. I think good talent makes others better regardless of who you are, and I'm failing to understand why Moss is the most irreplaceable receiver in the NFL, especially considering his limited route running.

I think Moss' uniqueness just comes from the fact that he's the best deep ball guy in the history of the game. Part of it is the fact that he does it so effortlessly, and can burn even two defenders. I don't think people call him unique in the fact that he can draw multiple defenders, I think it's more how he does it.

Btw, check out pro football focus. They are pretty sophisticated stat/breakdown guys, and they say the defense against Moss is a 2 deep man, rather than a true double team. Just food for thought.

Yes, before teams played against the Patriots they would try and create game plans to STOP Randy Moss. ALWAYS assigning a cornerback AND safety to pursue him. Not many teams have cornerbacks that they actually have enough confidence in to gaurd an elite WR one on one. Now if Randy runs a streak, Welker is free to just go over the middle and gain yards, or another WR. Defenses ALWAYS have their eye on Moss.

Sure it is, but look at a player like Roy Williams, he has had some rough years and so he is being left one on one more than ever because people think he will just drop it.

Absolutely not, look at all the people you have named. They are very young and able to much more with there bodies than Randy. Personally I have always though Fitzgerald was a tad over rated, he's not doing great right now, now you can say" well he they don't have a qb" Moss was taking passes from culpepper, who is probably better than the Cardinals QB but he wasn't nearly as successful after he lost Moss. The other thing you have to remember is Tom Brady is back there at QB, he can fit the ball in almost anywhere, so you have to guard against that AND Randy Moss's ability to catch almost anything? That's why he is so valuable as a decoy. In my opinion anyway, I can go into further detail if you want me to.

Thanks in advance.

Moss is human just like anybody else, he will have his GREAT games and he will have his average games, just because he doesn't put up monstrous every week doesn't mean he's over rated. For some reason people think that because he is one of the best, he is required to give %500 each and every game and come home with the game ball.

Height
Speed
Body control
Soft hands
Awareness of what the defense is doing
Improvisational intelligence

Besides maybe Andre Johnson, nobody on the list you gave has the incredible combination Moss does (or perhaps, did) of those traits. Fitzgerald has high intelligence and great hands, but isn't as fast or tall. Calvin Johnson is tall and fast, but doesn't quite have the body control in the air or as naturally skilled hands. That's what makes Moss the best (possibly ever) at running the deep routes, which commands attention downfield in a way that Brandon Marshall, Reggie Wayne, et al. can't quite match.

When you have two DBs run downfield with a receiver (generally a safety and a corner), every other route generally becomes a single coverage situation and/or the zones become bigger (the area each defender is responsible for gets larger). From a defensive perspective, this is a risk, so if you think that your cornerback can handle the deep threat alone, you will keep your safety to play zone, blitz, watch the run, etc. So, yes, Moss commands (or at least used to) deep threat double coverage more than anyone because he is so uniquely ******* skilled.

Get it?

OK, thanks for clarifying.

I don't think that Moss is a "singular" talent at this point in his career. He is simply ONE of many top receivers in the league. Moss is the 2nd best wide receiver to have ever played the game. But, no I don't think him better now than someone like Andre Johnson.

That being said, I think that losing Moss is a signficant loss for the offense. Bringing back Branch is not about Branch being as good as Moss. The hope is that the offense will be able to produce as much with branch as they would have with Moss. This MIGHT be accomplished by changing the offense to utilize Branch's skills. The very idea of running the same offense expecting Tate to replace Moss is a ridiculous propostion.

Thanks for the input. I don't think anyone can dispute how freakin' amazing Moss has been. In fact, I'd go so far as to say he's the best wide receiver of all-time at what he does/did. I see Rice as a completely different type of player who was much better at running routes and brought more ways to beat you, but physically, and as a downfield threat, Moss is the best ever. I really wanted the Pats to draft him in '98, and I still remember being angry afterward. If the NFL was the way it used to be before Coryell and the West Coast offense, Moss would have dominated; Rice would not have showcased his talents like he did with the emphasis on planned timing patterns.

I agree that Tate cannot just be thrown into Moss's spot... that would be crazy. Likewise, Branch will be nowhere close to Moss overall; however, on third and three I would rather have Branch as my prime target, and Branch will also find a way to beat elite corners like Revis more often with slants and sideline patterns. He is quicker and able to pick up smaller chunks of yards easier, but you won't have that 60-yard threat downfield. Overall, though, the offense will obviously take a step back for now.

Anyway, I guess my point, and I think most people agree, is that the better the player, the more he will help other succeed by demanding more attention. Although the Patriots have succeeded greatly with Moss, I think the extent that he's made Welker into a superstar is overstated. Players that catch ten passes per game and set records are good on their own, and while they may have some help, I don't expect to see a lot of production lost from Welker, besides the injury effects. Likewise, I see the offense struggling in losing that deep threat, but I think a lot of the offensive players have proven that they're good with or without Moss.

Height
Speed
Body control
Soft hands
Awareness of what the defense is doing
Improvisational intelligence

Besides maybe Andre Johnson, nobody on the list you gave has the incredible combination Moss does (or perhaps, did) of those traits. Fitzgerald has high intelligence and great hands, but isn't as fast or tall. Calvin Johnson is tall and fast, but doesn't quite have the body control in the air or as naturally skilled hands. That's what makes Moss the best (possibly ever) at running the deep routes, which commands attention downfield in a way that Brandon Marshall, Reggie Wayne, et al. can't quite match.

When you have two DBs run downfield with a receiver (generally a safety and a corner), every other route generally becomes a single coverage situation and/or the zones become bigger (the area each defender is responsible for gets larger). From a defensive perspective, this is a risk, so if you think that your cornerback can handle the deep threat alone, you will keep your safety to play zone, blitz, watch the run, etc. So, yes, Moss commands (or at least used to) deep threat double coverage more than anyone because he is so uniquely ******* skilled.

Get it?

Yes, I get it. But my question is, do you know that NFL teams only double cover Moss this frequently, or are you basing this off of perception? And don't take this the wrong way, as I'm really just asking for my own knowledge. I mean, Calvin Johnson is single covered? Don't coaches get fired for doing this?

Finally, do you think that part of the reason Moss is double covered every play is because he runs a deep route into the secondary? I mean, would safeties double him if he ran a four yard out and cutback? With guys like M Austin or D Jackson, it seems like they are doubled once they break through into the open field and are going deep. Since Moss does that every play, wouldn't it reason that he is constantly doubled? And finally, even if Moss does open up the rest of the receivers routes, doesn't he also lower his own percentages of completion due to a long, deep post into double coverage? Take a guy like Reggie Wayne, who is more of a timing, route runner with speed to breakout... who do you think is more valuable overall?

I would say Moss' unique talents are his hands, his innate ability to sense the trajectory of the path of the ball, and his craftiness in confusing the defender into thinking the ball is not going his way. He's the total package in my opinion and the complete receiver. He can play between the numbers when asked to and can be a good possession receiver...Moss is just extending his career by playing outside the numbers to prevent unnecessary injury, which is smart from a business standpoint

Moss makes it effortless. He jogs 85 yds at 85 miles an hour and makes it appear like he's not even trying. His body control is second to none. He makes it look like there's glue on his gloves when a pass is thrown his way. The one hand catches he pulls out of the sky only Jerry Rice could have made. There will never be another Randy Moss...ever plain and simple. He is one of those once every 50 year kind of players.

Can the Pats win without Moss? Of course they can win a playoff gm or with some luck 2 playoff games, but a Super Bowl is a reach at this point without a gamebreaker like him. Hopefully Tate or Hernandez can be that dream player we are hoping for, because we know what we already have with the security blanket in Welker and the serviceable Branch

Last edited:
I would say Moss' unique talents are his hands, his innate ability to sense the trajectory of the path of the ball, and his craftiness in confusing the defender into thinking the ball is not going his way. He's the total package in my opinion and the complete receiver. He can play between the numbers when asked to and can be a good possession receiver...Moss is just extending his career by playing outside the numbers to prevent unnecessary injury, which is smart from a business standpoint

Moss makes it effortless. He jogs 85 yds at 85 miles an hour and makes it appear like he's not even trying. His body control is second to none. He makes it look like there's glue on his gloves when a pass is thrown his way. The one hand catches he pulls out of the sky only Jerry Rice could have made. There will never be another Randy Moss...ever plain and simple. He is one of those once every 50 year kind of players.

Can the Pats win without Moss? Of course they can win a playoff gm or with some luck 2 playoff games, but a Super Bowl is a reach at this point without a gamebreaker like him. Hopefully Tate or Hernandez can be that dream player we are hoping for, because we know what we already have with the security blanket in Welker and the serviceable Branch

Who were the game breakers that Brady had to throw the ball to when he won his 3 superbowl rings?

Still thinking? Yeah..........

And I love Moss and have always been a big supporter of him when he gets **** from the media, or even some fans around here. But he is not the total package. He is the best deep threat of all time, yes. But as far as blocking, going over the middle, etc. Those aren't things he does exceptionally well...

The entire Moss "Opening the field up" is incredibly overblown at this point in his career.

The concept of him always being double covered is rediculous. It is a product of normal every day coverage in the NFL. Any cover 2 defense that involves CB's playing man coverage is going to double a WR that runs a deep sideline route.

The reason moss always appears to be "double covered" is because the only routes he can effectively run are deep patterns. He doesn't have the ability or the desire to consistantly run the short routes that keep CB honest. Right now the easiest way to defend moss is to agressive man CB play with a safety over the top. Some teams with good CB don't even bother with the safety.

To answer your question, Great recievers in today's NFL can demand "double coverage" while still putting up very productive stats.

Personally I love Randy moss and consider him to be the best WR of all time. However, I think he has lost more than just a step. The Monday night game showed him blanketed on almost every single play, and it took a perfect pass for him to get a touchdown. Moss makes Cromartie look like an all-pro cb while other WR make him a liability.

A younger Moss would never be single covered by Cromartie. The current Moss is a good deep threat reciever that is below average in the short routes.

I agree with you. Moss has an assortment of skills that I havent seen anyone else duplicate.

Is it possible that teams in our division have started to have better success defending our offense with Moss and Belicheck though we were becoming too one demensional?

And does losing Moss give our offense to come out there and be somewhat unpredictable?

How are other teams finding success with out Moss, and how can we now approach these defenses who think their job is easier now that they dont have to defend Moss?

The entire Moss "Opening the field up" is incredibly overblown at this point in his career.

The concept of him always being double covered is rediculous. It is a product of normal every day coverage in the NFL. Any cover 2 defense that involves CB's playing man coverage is going to double a WR that runs a deep sideline route.

The reason moss always appears to be "double covered" is because the only routes he can effectively run are deep patterns. He doesn't have the ability or the desire to consistantly run the short routes that keep CB honest. Right now the easiest way to defend moss is to agressive man CB play with a safety over the top. Some teams with good CB don't even bother with the safety.

To answer your question, Great recievers in today's NFL can demand "double coverage" while still putting up very productive stats.

Personally I love Randy moss and consider him to be the best WR of all time. However, I think he has lost more than just a step. The Monday night game showed him blanketed on almost every single play, and it took a perfect pass for him to get a touchdown. Moss makes Cromartie look like an all-pro cb while other WR make him a liability.

A younger Moss would never be single covered by Cromartie. The current Moss is a good deep threat reciever that is below average in the short routes.

Obviously, BB and TB agree. Otherwise, if the "Moss double coverage" feature was unique in importance, he would have been signed to an extension.

The biggest talking point of the mediots is Welker will now draw double coverage. This may be true. However, you can't double everyone. Therefore, the question comes down to Tate, Henandez, and Branch and single coverage. Will anyone play zone?

My guess is the offense will be prolific but not as explosive.

Moss is the superior deep threat. Tate will do some of that. However, Tate, Hernandez, and Branch will stretch the field.

Miami was suppose to be a highly rated defense. We ran it down their throats. This might mean highly team specific offensive game plans again.

Perhaps a melding of 2004 and 2007 with better talents vs 2004 and greater diversity vs 2007.

I'm just not understanding the whole "This offense won't be as good without Moss". Yes, he's a singular talent on the deep ball, but as we've clearly seen, both this year and last, Brady and Moss have NOT exactly made the deep ball as high a percentage play as it was in 2007.

Could have something to do with Brady's knee, or that Moss has lost a step, but they miss on more then they connect (certainly this year). For that reason, I think that BB wants to transition this offense to a tighter, more precise offense that relies on shorter, very precise, route running and much quicker reads. That doesn't require a guy streaking down the sideline every 2-3 plays. Brady used to shred defenses in this style to, because short slants or quick outs are damn near impossible to defend with an accurate QB. Doesn't make for as interesting a highlight reel, but it certainly chews up yards and clock time (very important for this defense).

BB reportedly told Randy last year that he likely wouldn't be signed again. It could be that because in the style that our offense seems to be morphing too, someone like Moss is less effective (and transversely someone like Branch - a very precise route runner) is MORE effective in. Branch's job (or even Tate's) is NOT to burn down the sideline to beat coverage, it's to be at an exact spot on the field at an exact time, something he is very good at, and Moss is not particularly as good at.

I think this whole trade should be viewed more as a "transition" signifier that clearly indicates our morphine into a different offensive philosophy than simply a "Branch for Moss, we got hosed, we're gonna suck now" trade.

Granted, I think that the BS with Moss this year probably accelerated the implementation, but Moss was clearly not in the long term plans of the Patriots and once the quick decision was made to dump Moss was made, we did not hesitate to pick up a familiar guy (even at a slightly higher pick), who is suited to play in the style we're headed to.

Last edited:
Who were the game breakers that Brady had to throw the ball to when he won his 3 superbowl rings?

Still thinking? Yeah..........

This is such a flawed way of thinking though, because football is a team game and the Patriots had a much better team back then. They had a better running game, you could argue the O-line was better, and the defense was league better than this one. Back then, they didn't need such a big game breaker like Moss.
This team does.

Last edited:
I'm just not understanding the whole "This offense won't be as good without Moss". Yes, he's a singular talent on the deep ball, but as we've clearly seen, both this year and last, Brady and Moss have NOT exactly made the deep ball as high a percentage play as it was in 2007.

BB reportedly told Randy last year that he likely wouldn't be signed again. It could be that because in the style that our offense seems to be morphing too, someone like Moss is less effective (and transversely someone like Branch - a very precise route runner) is MORE effective in. Branch's job (or even Tate's) is NOT to burn down the sideline to beat coverage, it's to be at an exact spot on the field at an exact time, something he is very good at, and Moss is not particularly as good at.

First of all, 2007 was a special year, and a special offense. Holding them to those standards is totally unrealistic.

I 100% disagree that Moss isn't a precise route runner. He gets in the right place. In an ideal world, I think Moss would still be on the team, but as they said, it's business. This offense is not better for having Branch than Moss. Now, in 2 years time with Tate having more targets, the TEs and Taylor Price, they will benefit from it.

As to the original question. At this point, I'm not sure that Moss nearly the thread he has been his whole career. It's never been that fact that defenses had to "double" Moss and thereby clear out the underneath for the Welker's of the world.

Moss's greatness came not because of his demanding double coverage, but his EFFECTIVENESS while double covered. Many defenses, unless they posses a true shut-down CB, will double any deep threat with safety help over the top. There is not many that could do that and still effectively contain Moss (at least in his prime). More and more though, Moss is able to be contained, not only by a good double coverage, by even by single coverage from an elite corner.

He just cannot separate like his used to. Because his career was predicated on that "one" skill, he's likely not gonna have the same longevity as a Rice or other elite WR that has/had more "tricks" in their bag. By trick's I mean like precise route-running, going over the middle, etc...

I think Moss is a unique talent and he will command a double team usually, but you don't need a super catch to spread the field and loosen up the defense.

You don't even need a completion.

The mere act of throwing the ball downfield two-three times a game keeps the defense thinking about the possibility. If the defense is collapsing and cheating toward the LOS, a deep ball will cause them to back off when a similar offensive alignment is formed.

With Moss and elite receivers you stand a better chance of COMPETING a pass into double coverage, but to spread the field, you only need to run a deep pattern.

Branch was sometimes doubled when he was here, and it took him out of the game. He could never catch a ball when double covered. But just being doubled took a defender to another part of the field.

Running Tate on one side, Welker or Edelman in the slot, Branch or Hernandez flexed will give a 3WR (counting Hernandez as a WR in this formation) formation that would be deadly. Add BJGE and an up-the-middle banger to keep 7 in the box, and Gronkowski lined up next to RT, and this is a good formation.

And when the twig rips his knee, or Edelman breaks his arm, we have Taylor in reserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents