PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can a pass rush mask the deficiencies of Patriots secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you insist I agree with your OPINION??
Reading comprehension isn't your thing. Let me reiterate:

Opinions aren't worth **** at all in this situation.

You're trying to deny facts by hiding behind the opinion card. Opinion's are ****. Opinion's are irrelevant. No matter how you try to twist it.

Reading comprehension isn't your thing. Let me reiterate:

You're trying to deny facts by hiding behind the opinion card. Opinion's are ****. Opinion's are irrelevant. No matter how you try to twist it.
I don't agree.. now what??

“They [the secondary] make it easier. Whenever a quarterback’s first read is taken away, and with the athletes we have up front rushing the quarterback, he’s not going to have a lot of time to really find the second read and get a good throw off. By the time he does that we’re in his face, getting pressure on him, and the guys in the back end, they’re covering really well. It works hand in hand.”
-- Akeem Ayers

If the Patriots are able to create a formidable defensive line at the core of their defense, will the downgraded secondary have a new lifeline to rely on?

I’m of the belief that a secondary can only be as effective as the rest of the defense. The combination of a great pass rush and adequate downfield coverage is what creates a successful pass defense. The better the front seven, the easier it is to play in the secondary. And by getting superior play from interior linemen and improving the edges of their defensive line, I believe the Patriots will still have a quality defense to sustain them in the season.

Being aggressive against the pocket is important for a few reasons: It forces the quarterback to speed up his progressions into tighter windows, and it disrupts his connection with receivers by forcing him out of his natural rhythm and limiting his vision. But the additional benefit is that by putting all the pressure on the quarterback, the defensive lineman actually takes pressure off the secondary. For instance, if the lineman can pressure the quarterback into throwing the ball to his first look, the secondary will not have to cover for as long and can play tighter coverage. But if less talented cornerbacks are going to remain effective in the scheme, players up front need to dominate the line of scrimmage and restrict the amount of time the quarterback has to connect with his receivers. Or else, the quarterback will have an easier time picking apart the secondary.

The best cornerbacks in the world will tell you that a strong pass rush helps them immensely. Modern-day NFL offenses are simply too complicated to expect corners and safeties to cover receivers for longer than 5 seconds. If you put three receivers out on routes against three cornerbacks, the quarterback will likely find one of his receivers in a span of five or more seconds. If given enough time, at least one of those receivers will gain separation and create a window of opportunity for the quarterback to complete a pass. Even if coverage is tight, the quarterback is still free to make a play either with his legs, by handing off to the RB, or by passing to a fourth target on the field (a TE, RB, or a WR in a four-set formation). This assumes that those three all-star cornerbacks will be able to stay in coverage for much longer than what is normally the case.

But an aggressive front seven changes all of this. If met with a fierce pass rush, the quarterback is limited in time and cannot make all of his reads. And if forced to move around in the pocket, he cannot establish a rhythm with his receivers. A quarterback can still throw into tight coverage, but he has a much harder time seeing anyone or being even remotely accurate. As much as the ‘Legion of Boom’ is often credited with success, the Seahawks have always had to make life tough for the quarterback first by using their defensive linemen. That is what allows the secondary to play at an incredibly efficient level and live up to its reputation.

Looking at it another way, you can also ask yourself: what has a greater impact on each other? Does a great secondary make your pass rush look better, or does a great pass rush make your secondary look better? In How Baltimore’s Front Seven Masks Its Depleted Secondary, Robert Mays answers this question by describing how the Ravens’ defense succeeded against elite quarterbacks, despite having a depleted secondary riddled with injuries. After a slow start in the season, the Raven figured out how to rebuild their defense around a collection of run-stuffers and terrifying pass-rushers, who were able to generate pressure up front by disrupting pass plays and taking advantage of collapsing pockets. What the Ravens showed is that through a combination of front-line depth, talent, and scheme, a superior defensive line can slow down any offense.

I believe any fan who was around for the 1985 seasons Super Bowl could easily answer that question yes.

The short answer is no. Everyone hopes a strong rush can mask a weak secondary but the good teams will exploit it (weak secondary). There are always teams that will match up well against you and if you're vulnerable, they'll exploit it... not every team will be able to exploit the weakness but better teams will. A strong rush will help with bad qbs but the secondary will be an issue with good qbs....the secondary is going to have to find a way to be better than they were for the few years before last year or they'll get exploited in the playoffs like they have.

Dan Marino's retired [see 1985 comment]

Actually a team with a dominant front 7 and a weak secondary can shut down a good quarterback, an example of this would be in the game that shall never be mentioned (damn me for mentioning it). The Giants secondary was poo but that front 7 (their front 4 more specifically) was raining fire and brimstone on our poor Tommy.

A good example.

• Agree
Reactions: glm
You're illogical and wrong. Hell, you haven't even attempted to refute any fact that I've brought up. Not one.
NO.. I simply disagree with you.. and yes I have refuted... so to you it's just about having the last word.. so again... I disagree.. now what??

NO.. I simply disagree with you.. and yes I have refuted... so to you it's just about having the last word.. so again... I disagree.. now what??

You have not refuted this:
The Patriots started their transition stage back in 2009. Hell, last years Super Bowl team was the youngest Super Bowl winning team ever.

Nor this:
the Patriots have nearly completely turned over there entire roster. Here are the players we still have since the transitional period began:

Tom Brady
Julian Edelman
Matthew Slater
Sebastian Vollmer
Ryan Wendell
Jerod Mayo
Ninkovrabel
Pat Chung
Steven Gostowski

83% of the roster has turned over since then. Again, the Patriots have already went through their transitional phase.

Nor this:
You know the NFLPA???
You know about the appeal process???
You know the NFL has been getting their asses handed to them by the NFLPA for the past few years???

Here is your response to all this:

Again... you have your opinion.. I have mine...

I've not stated one opinion, just facts. Get that through your thick head. On the other hand, you've not stated any sort of facts in the slightest.

If you're going to refute me, don't bring your opinions. I don't care about your opinions at all.

This is not a transition year. The Patriots started their transition stage back in 2009. Hell, last years Super Bowl team was the youngest Super Bowl winning team ever. If anything, we're looking for another dynastic run, a run that started last year.

Agreed. Though not top notch, this is not an all rookie secondary. There are a lot of experienced role players and Mccourty is a top notch starter. someone needs to emerge at cornerback and we need a coach who is inventive in his use of the secondary. So, we have depth and we have the coach. Someone picked up, already or otherwise, could make it a smart, if not dominant, secondary. Schemes, zone ball hawking, it's really going to depend on how many forced prayers these defense can cause.

I'd rate Ryan a good ball hawk and physical, despite limitations, Butler, another ball hawk we hope has outside starting potential, Arrington, a great slot corner and versatile on the inside and we have a lot of safeties, besides McCourty, with a lot of time in our system. Add a smart veteran that can deliver as part of a scheme for a second corner and load up with other role players [or better if someone cuts a starting type] and it's not bad for the "weakest position on the team."

I would agree that it's not fair to compare it to the disaster of 2011, but, well before FA possibilities are exhausted, it compares favorably with some of the Super Bowl teams after injuries.

To paraphrase Rick Pitino, as he dismantled the Celtics, Darrel Revis ain't coming through that door. It's likely going to be a very aggressive DL and LB dominated team. In the salary cap era, you need to make choices.

• Winner
Reactions: glm
I feel PATS DBs and LBs will hold up for the short to intermediate passes. For the WR's that can beat them
deep is where there may be an issue. But with a good pass rush those WR's may not have enough time
to get deep. Last, year more often than I care to remember, I can still remember a QB having 5secs or more
before PATS pass rush got there.

Actually a team with a dominant front 7 and a weak secondary can shut down a good quarterback, an example of this would be in the game that shall never be mentioned (damn me for mentioning it). The Giants secondary was poo but that front 7 (their front 4 more specifically) was raining fire and brimstone on our poor Tommy.

Different defensive philosophy. I doubt BB is going to all of a sudden play a pressure defense... he 2 gaps. That's what he does.

You have not refuted this:

Nor this:

Nor this:

Here is your response to all this:

I've not stated one opinion, just facts. Get that through your thick head. On the other hand, you've not stated any sort of facts in the slightest.

If you're going to refute me, don't bring your opinions. I don't care about your opinions at all.
Why do you care so much what I think?? We disagree.. I don't need to explain my point twenty times like you do.. I don't agree with you, and think this is a transition year, and explained why in my original post.. get over it sonny boy...

Different defensive philosophy. I doubt BB is going to all of a sudden play a pressure defense... he 2 gaps. That's what he does.
He's got a lot of guys that can get get after the QB now. He won't go all Blitzburg but he will go after the QB more in 2015.

Don't know why the heated argument. I believe this will be a big transition defensively in scheme. It won't be in players. So you're both wrong...or right. I thought wrong was funnier.:D

He's got a lot of guys that can get get after the QB now. He won't go all Blitzburg but he will go after the QB more in 2015.
Did he tell you that or are you guessing because I will need to see it before I believe it?

Did he tell you that or are you guessing because I will need to see it before I believe it?

Its an educated assumption based on...

He doesn't have the personnel at DB than can stick to receivers like glue and he's acquired four players who have the ability to get to the QB.

They'll still 2 gap but that won't be all the time IMO.

I say it is... every team goes through three a decade... you know the suspension??? You work in the NFL offices?? give us the scoop...
This isn't your usual team that gets old and then goes through a transitional period. Belichick manages the team in a way that the team is constantly getting younger and transitioning to fit whatever he wants to do. We go through small transitions every year, which makes the damages from the transitions very minor as you don't sudenly throw out your hole team, or have a team that gets old and slow.

This isn't your usual team that gets old and then goes through a transitional period. Belichick manages the team in a way that the team is constantly getting younger and transitioning to fit whatever he wants to do. We go through small transitions every year, which makes the damages from the transitions very minor as you don't sudenly throw out your hole team, or have a team that gets old and slow.
YES!!! ... we could still win the Super Bowl... I had stated we are still dangerous... but to some, unless I didn't think the pats would win every game 75-0, I was some sort of nutjob.

Don't know why the heated argument. I believe this will be a big transition defensively in scheme. It won't be in players. So you're both wrong...or right. I thought wrong was funnier.:D
I'm not heated at all.. we just had a difference of opinion.. but he insisted I see things his way..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3