PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Caleb Williams would turn this team around FAST. The Case for Tanking

We absolutely should be tanking. However I fully expect this team to rack up some meaningless wins and get a middling pick and the beat goes on.
Not if Corky Mac remains at the helm.

I believe that he can keep the Pats at 4 wins using my QB formula.

Whoever the next QB is, he needs to be a leader who doesn't fall apart in the face of adversity and the team respects. Leadership skills helped Brady take over the team when Drew got hurt and kept the 2020 team from being a complete laughing stock with Cam Newton as QB.

best case scenario would be the Pats have top pick and trade down 2-3 spots and aquire a ****load of other first round picks for this and coming drafts, so they can jump on a real QB in the next 2-3 years with that ammo, while getting still one of the top OT or WR to build up some talent on offensive side

williams looks like someone with happy feet, just running around to buy time instead to go through his progression to deliver the ball, seems like he is just showing off in the backyard agains poorest competition, the NFL is a different animal and NFL D#s play you different, you will not have 3 minutes to scramble around and get some wide open reciver unless you have elite talent on receving end and most do not have such talent (beside Dolphins and Philly probably right now) - plus he is a midget with an egotrip, hard pass
Sounds like a plan. I really like the idea of starting in the trenches. Like I said that's how the greatest show on turf got started. It wasn't getting Kurt Warner it was drafting Orlando Pace.

Spot on and beat me to it.

Alabama QBs too.
More generally, QBs from any program that is so talent rich that they can deliver success to their QBs on a golden platter. Give be a QB who had to struggle for his success on a mediocre team against the elite programs.

Likewise, I'm souring on WRs who put up gaudy numbers against conferences where no one plays defense.

Whoever the next QB is, he needs to be a leader who doesn't fall apart in the face of adversity and the team respects. Leadership skills helped Brady take over the team when Drew got hurt and kept the 2020 team from being a complete laughing stock with Cam Newton as QB.
Yeah. Cam was bad in 2020, but still had leader attributes. He was still respected on that level.

I don’t know about quick, and i don’t know if Caleb is the guy either, doesn’t he have a list of teams he will only play for? But we can set a solid foundation next year .

Ive got my eyes on drake maye if we do finish bad enough for a top 3 pick. Draft Maye , resign onwenu/bourne/henry , draft an ot with your 2nd pick - trade up into the first if you got to. Add any other OL help you may need , if sow continues to look good at rg you may just be needing the OT. Priority once you get the qb is complete the OL.

The first year might be a little rough because we’re still unlikely to have a top wr. Im really mixed on paying for higgins, but maybe we could trade a future 1st for aiyuk or something. We could probably afford one really good wr to go with bourne/ douglas and company. But thatd be a heck of a start imo. as long as you have a strong OL and run game in front of the new qb, he wont get destroyed like mac. Defense should be top notch too so he wont hafta put up a ton of points.

This guy is amazing. Fast, elusive, rocket arm, throws from many different angles. He is Mahomes on steroids. Maybe a bit smaller than Mahomes.
Will give NFL defenses fits.
For those who want to see Pats in a super bowl again in the next decade..this guy is the answer.
TANK TANK TANK..dream big.
There is no good that will come out of winning any more games this season.

Covert tanking involves selling off capable players by tomorrow...Uche, Mac, Henry, Duggar, JuJu and playing Jags in their place.
Your new starting QB BAILEY ZAPPE with Malik Cunningham at backup. That gives us a real shot at franchise altering Caleb.

I do not want to hear that this is not BB's way. he got us into this mess

There is never a reason for tanking. You lose the players left on the team, the fan base and the player you draft has as good a chance at being a flop as a success. I will agree with trading some of the players to get more draft picks. The more you have the better your chances at getting some players who will succeed in the NFL. Alternatively you could package a deal to move up if you see a player you really want.

I've been following the Patriots since their inception and they have had bad years, but never one where they just went out to lose and I hope they never do.

There is never a reason for tanking. You lose the players left on the team, the fan base and the player you draft has as good a chance at being a flop as a success. I will agree with trading some of the players to get more draft picks. The more you have the better your chances at getting some players who will succeed in the NFL. Alternatively you could package a deal to move up if you see a player you really want.

I've been following the Patriots since their inception and they have had bad years, but never one where they just went out to lose and I hope they never do.
I don’t think they will have to try to lose.
It will come organically.

You have to be leery of these college QBs who can run around and stay in the picket for 5-10 seconds and then throw because those plays just do not happen in the NFL. You need a guy who can think and deliver quickly and accurately. Johnny Manziel is a perfect example, he had the athletic ability to run around in the pocket and avoid college players, but in the Pros he was gone in what 2 years.

Look what happens when he gets some pressure..

They list him as 6' 1" which is also problematic

Sounds like a plan. I really like the idea of starting in the trenches. Like I said that's how the greatest show on turf got started. It wasn't getting Kurt Warner it was drafting Orlando Pace.

The order isn’t necessarily as important to me, it really depends on whos available when and where. If we have a shot at maye or I think you gotta take it. Then the following season you can work on WR if one is there or OT if we cant grab one in this draft. That 2nd rd pick should be a pretty high one too so id bet lots of good options to choose from still.

If maye and Harrison jr are gone, there supposedly are some really good OT’s in the top 5 range, I would hope thats the play then. I just think Maye or Harrison jr would be too hard to pass up if we are in play for either.

Yeah. Honestly it might be a better idea to really focus this year on acquiring talent with high draft picks and free agency so that we get a QB in 2025's draft who can have something worth coming to. Which I know most people probably don't want to hear. But the reality is, you don't want to throw a rookie into this mess.

I almost would rather draft Marvin Harrison Jr early and trade up to grab some lineman in the late first and second. Then make some moves to get a good number 2 in free agency (hopefully keep Hunter Henry). Then just grab a real vet (maybe pay Kirk for two years) and see what he does with that and then draft a young guy to sit behind him for another year before we start him.

Personally, I think if the Pats have the number one pick, they might be best off shopping it and picking up three first rounders or more in return. I think in the long run, that would turn this team into a contender faster than taking Williams especially if they are still in position to to take Maye after the trade. The Bears are likely to have two first rounders in the top ten this year. The Cards may have two in the top ten too.

I don't think the Pats will end up with the first overall pick. So it is kinda moot.

Personally, I think if the Pats have the number one pick, they might be best off shopping it and picking up three first rounders or more in return. I think in the long run, that would turn this team into a contender faster than taking Williams especially if they are still in position to to take Maye after the trade. The Bears are likely to have two first rounders in the top ten this year. The Cards may have two in the top ten too.

I don't think the Pats will end up with the first overall pick. So it is kinda moot.
I'm starting to lean that way too. Pats could ask for the moon for the #1 pick and they would get it.

Old Friend Josh and the Raiders will be looking for a QB too I really hope we don't foolishly finish ahead of them.

You have to be leery of these college QBs who can run around and stay in the picket for 5-10 seconds and then throw because those plays just do not happen in the NFL. You need a guy who can think and deliver quickly and accurately. Johnny Manziel is a perfect example, he had the athletic ability to run around in the pocket and avoid college players, but in the Pros he was gone in what 2 years.

Look what happens when he gets some pressure..

They list him as 6' 1" which is also problematic

I am not sure if Williams will come remotely close to living up to his hype, but using Manziel as an example of why he may not is not really valid. Manziel was a bust because he just didn't give a crap. He didn't study film at all. He didn't work to get better. He walked into the NFL thinking he would change how the game is played and expected everything to be handed to him.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back