PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Caleb Williams would turn this team around FAST. The Case for Tanking

They seem to have modern defense figured out but lack in modern offense, a good QB is a start, but only a start.
Our defense right now is not good.

18th in yards
22nd in passing yards
13th in rushing yards
26th in points per game.
13th in penalties
28th in sacks
20th in QB knockdowns
22nd in passing touchdowns by opposing offense
25th in first downs given up
They are tied for 24th for INT's but really only one team has less interceptions
Tied for 26th in total takeaways.

They are decent at exactly two things. Stuffing runs sometimes, but they always blow an assignment which brings their overall averages up. And they are surprisingly average at 3rd down stops.They are ranked 13th there. But considering how they are 25th at 4th down stops and also are 25th in total first downs given up, that only means teams are converting on the first two downs more or don't fear us enough to not go for it and convert on 4th.

Look at the top QBs in the league. not all of them were top 5 picks in the draft. thats why tanking for 1 player seems be highly unpredictable. Even Trevor lawerence- while he is good, i dont see him giving peyton manning vibes yet.
Totally agree. Picking close to the top is boom or bust pretty much every year

18th in yards
22nd in passing yards
13th in rushing yards
26th in points per game.
13th in penalties
28th in sacks
20th in QB knockdowns
They are tied for 24th for INT's but really only one team has less interceptions

They are decent at exactly two things. Stuffing runs sometimes, but they always blow an assignment which brings their overall averages up. And they are surprisingly average at 3rd down stops.They are ranked 13th there. But considering how they are 25th at 4th down stops and also are 25th in total first downs given up, that only means teams are converting on the first two downs more or don't fear us enough to not go for it and convert on 4th.
Kind of goes hand in hand with our offense sucking and all the injuries on the defensive side of the ball?

You never know - even in the surest of sure things. This guy (according to reports) asking for part ownership makes me pause. If he’s Mahomes, great. But there aren’t many of those.

I think the logical step would be to build an offense around a vet. Stock up and get well on OL and speed at WR. Then, look for a QB next year and sit him behind the vet.

Kind of goes hand in hand with our offense sucking and all the injuries on the defensive side of the ball?
They inform each other. Does the offense get negatively impacted by the defense being extremely poor at securing turnovers and giving them less extra chances compared to other teams in the league? Does the offense start to make mistakes when they play from behind because the defense is very poor at giving up points?

Likewise, does the defense get negatively impacted by the offense going 3 and out often and asking them to hold up longer than they should because they aren't scoring? That's true as well.

They don't help each other. But they are also indendently bad.

This team is years away from being good. Too many holes.
Yeah. Honestly it might be a better idea to really focus this year on acquiring talent with high draft picks and free agency so that we get a QB in 2025's draft who can have something worth coming to. Which I know most people probably don't want to hear. But the reality is, you don't want to throw a rookie into this mess.

I almost would rather draft Marvin Harrison Jr early and trade up to grab some lineman in the late first and second. Then make some moves to get a good number 2 in free agency (hopefully keep Hunter Henry). Then just grab a real vet (maybe pay Kirk for two years) and see what he does with that and then draft a young guy to sit behind him for another year before we start him.

The team is not one player away. Caleb will still be operating behind one of the worst O lines in the league.

If the Pats can get him, great. But he's just a piece of the puzzle.

This guy is amazing. Fast, elusive, rocket arm, throws from many different angles. He is Mahomes on steroids. Maybe a bit smaller than Mahomes.
Will give NFL defenses fits.
For those who want to see Pats in a super bowl again in the next decade..this guy is the answer.
TANK TANK TANK..dream big.
There is no good that will come out of winning any more games this season.

Covert tanking involves selling off capable players by tomorrow...Uche, Mac, Henry, Duggar, JuJu and playing Jags in their place.
Your new starting QB BAILEY ZAPPE with Malik Cunningham at backup. That gives us a real shot at franchise altering Caleb.

I do not want to hear that this is not BB's way. he got us into this mess

Tanking is fools gold. Williams will never win a SB.

The problem is that I love football and watching the patriots play non-competitive games sucks. Does Caleb Williams or some other first round pick guarantee the patriots won't suck? I've seen too many teams suck for decades, picking qbs ever few years in the top 5. No thank you. Losing mentality is hard to shake.

If they lose, fine. But please just compete.

It's amazing how many posters have gone from tolerable to flat out idiots now that we're losing. Winning really does cure everything.

It's amazing how many posters have gone from tolerable to flat out idiots now that we're losing. Winning really does cure everything.

If Bledsoe didn't get hurt, halfway through that season these same posters would have been calling for BBs firing and blowing up the entire roster.

I’ll sneak into the USC locker room and let you know what I find out.
Try not to catch him when he's coming out of his ice tub bath.

obligatory-george-costanza-gif-v0-bssx5l9foyma1.gif

18th in yards
22nd in passing yards
13th in rushing yards
26th in points per game.
13th in penalties
28th in sacks
20th in QB knockdowns

They are decent at exactly two things. Stuffing runs sometimes, but they always blow an assignment which brings their overall averages up. And they are surprisingly average at 3rd down stops. They are ranked 13th there. But considering how they are 25th at 4th down stops and also are 25th in total first downs given up, that only means teams are converting on the first two downs more or don't fear us enough to not go for it and convert on 4th.
Injuries have taken a toll, but when healthy they were still not built to match up with elite QB's. Going into the season they had issues at MLB and in the secondary. Nothing has changed. Now there will be question marks on the DL.

They inform each other. Does the offense get negatively impacted by the defense being extremely poor at securing turnovers and giving them less extra chances compared to other teams in the league? Does the offense start to make mistakes when they play from behind because the defense is very poor at giving up points?

Likewise, does the defense get negatively impacted by the offense going 3 and out often and asking them to hold up longer than they should because they aren't scoring? That's true as well.

They don't help each other. But they are also indendently bad.
As much as securing turnovers are part of the defense, no doubt, scoring touchdowns is probly more important on the offensive side of the ball. Billy’s defense of keeping things in front of you and not giving up big plays, the other team will make mistakes first, still probly would work but we aren’t scoring ANY points. 3 and outs and turnovers on the offensive side of the ball must continually deflate the defense. We got good players on that side, just lots of injuries. We don’t have many positions on this team that haven’t been depleted from injuries this year. Both sides of the ball.

He seems to have a lot of talent, and he also seems to fall apart vs. the best opponents. I saw a graphic on his stats vs. ranked teams and unranked teams. He plays like Brady vs. unranked teams and like current Cam Newton vs. ranked teams.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back