PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Caldwell won't block

Status
Not open for further replies.
pats1 said:
Right, and the "guys in the media" (outside of Reiss) certainly have tons of credibility around here. We all were sickened when they tried to make up stuff with Brady's body language and mental standing.

I can take people criticizing a guy's performance statistically, but what I can't stand are those who try to judge a player's "toughness" or "mental competency."

This is also why I get pissed off when some call Patrick Pass "soft" and not worthy of being on the team because of his fumble last year. Or Chad Jackson being out most of camp this year with his injury.

The only thing I questioned was the ability to process information at NFL speeds. I don't question either player's toughness or mental compentency, that is hard to quantify, but reaction time seems fairly obvious.

Perhaps if I studied the tape as carefully as you, I would feel differently but I don't see Caldwell or Watson as being as situationally aware as Brown or Faulk or Gabriel or what little we have seen of Jackson.

In my opinion, 'statistical performance' would include reaction time, if it were easily measureable, and it probably is to a coach on some level.

R_T26 said:
Blocking aside, i havnt been impressed by caldwell at all. He doesnt get open often, dropped some catchable balls today, and please no screens to him, it looks like he's running in place.

2nd and 8 NE 10

Result: Pass, Caldwell, screen right, 9 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, Brown motion wide to tight left, Caldwell wide right, 2 TE, Graham down off LT offline, Watson down online left wing, Dillon lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, CBs soft, SS a step behind the LBs outside the TE - comes up closer on the WR motion, CBs drop a couple more steps deeper before the snap.
Blocking: Light rides the RDE outside and upfield
Mankins rides the RDT’s stunt outside and upfield
Koppen stands up the LDT
Neal picks up the LDE as he comes behind O’Callaghan
O’Callaghan cuts underneath the LDE heading for the MLB
Brown was lining up on the SS when the pass went the other way
Coverage: CBs in man

Analysis: This was a designed run with a QB/WR flare option. Brady and Caldwell read the RCB dropping back and used the option pass. Brady took a one step drop and fired a rope out to Caldwell who just turned inward to front up on the ball. Caldwell then side stepped the charging RCB and was able to drag the WLB across the first down line. Graham was leading the run behind the left side, the blocking had opened a large hole for Dillon and he stood a good chance of getting the first behind Graham’s lead.

Last edited:
R_T26 said:
Blocking aside, i havnt been impressed by caldwell at all. He doesnt get open often, dropped some catchable balls today, and please no screens to him, it looks like he's running in place.
Yep, Brady throwing at him more than any of the other receivers today meant he was blanketed and unable to get open. Reality sucks, for you.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
The only thing I questioned was the ability to process information at NFL speeds. I don't question either player's toughness or mental compentency, that is hard to quantify, but reaction time seems fairly obvious.

Perhaps if I studied the tape as carefully as you, I would feel differently but I don't see Caldwell or Watson as being as situationally aware as Brown or Faulk or Gabriel or what little we have seen of Jackson.

Well, obviously!

Faulk is in his 8th year, all with the Pats and 7 with Brady.

Brown is in his 14th year, all with the Pats and 7 with Brady.

Caldwell is in his 5th year, first with the Pats and Brady.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Yep, Brady throwing at him more than any of the other receivers today meant he was blanketed and unable to get open. Reality sucks, for you.

good for him, i still dont he's that great. I like recievers to avg a little more then 4 yards a catch. Nothing about him impresses me, no big deal.

R_T26 said:
good for him, i still dont he's that great. I like recievers to avg a little more then 4 yards a catch. Nothing about him impresses me, no big deal.

Then you must like Caldwell.

He's averaging 11.8 yds/catch. 12.4 career.

;) :D

(Givens this year? 13. Branch? 14.)

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Well, obviously!

Faulk is in his 8th year, all with the Pats and 7 with Brady.

Brown is in his 14th year, all with the Pats and 7 with Brady.

Caldwell is in his 5th year, first with the Pats and Brady.

Gabriel. Reggie Bush. Maroney. Mankins. Koppen.

I don't tie reaction ability directly to experience. Lawrence Taylor was pretty quick in sizing up a play from day one. I just think it is a talent, a gift, and experience only adds a certain amount to the equation.

I like Caldwell and his toughness and blocking and he seems to be stepping up a lot after a pretty uneven start to the season. I think Gabriel will turn out to be the better player. He just seems to react to things a lot quicker.

I bet the coaches track reaction time and situational awareness. And I don't think it is always a question of experience.

Gabriel. Reggie Bush. Maroney. Mankins. Koppen.

I don't tie reaction ability directly to experience. Lawrence Taylor was pretty quick in sizing up a play from day one. I just think it is a talent, a gift, and experience only adds a certain amount to the equation.

I like Caldwell and his toughness and blocking and he seems to be stepping up a lot after a pretty uneven start to the season. I think Gabriel will turn out to be the better player. He just seems to react to things a lot quicker.

I bet the coaches track reaction time and situational awareness. And I don't think it is always a question of experience.

What are you basing this whole "reaction time" thing on? How quickly he recognizes blocks? How well he gets in position on catches?

This thread is based off nothing but hyperbole and an apparent need to label Caldwell as something he's clearly not. Get a grip, you mental midgets.

Thanks, pats1, for putting forth a rational, and researched, view.

Also, in the Denver game, I believe Caldwell was flagged for a block downfield on a play when Faulk was smushed in the backfield on a would-be screen from Brady. Caldwell was doing his job, but the play fell apart behind him. I think that is where some of this ridiculous sentiment about Caldwell stems from.

The guy has been a very solid player for us and shown nothing but toughness and a desire to be on the field. Stop crapping all over the guy just because you have an irrational itch that just has to be scratched.

pats1 said:
What are you basing this whole "reaction time" thing on? How quickly he recognizes blocks? How well he gets in position on catches?

Watching him play, dude. I ain't sitting there and wearing out the rewind on my tape, I leave that to you professionals.

I didn't kill the guy's grandma or anything, I just don't come away with the impression that he really got up to speed like Branch did as a complete rookie. Caldwell has looked better as time goes on, but I think that we have seen a lot of guys fit in quicker. The Pats are a revolving door of players every year at different positions, and some guys fit in quicker than others. Gabriel is getting up to speed with no mini-camp, no training camp, no offseason, no pre-season. Wasn't on the team until the bullets were flying for real.

If you disagree, than that's cool.

He blocks much better than Watson, IMO. But 4 catches is not earth shattering, even by 'spread the ball' standards. I still see Gabriel and maybe Jackson as becoming the top WRs over time. I can't imagine that the Bills focused their game plan around taking Caldwell out of the game or anything.

If posters who study every play carefully on film conclude that Caldwell is the team's best blocking Wr, I defer to them. However, watching games myself I have observed Caldwell not play to the whistle on several occasions. I have no agenda against Caldwell, and root for him fiercely like all other Pats. I went out of my way not to criticize his toughness, because that would be foolish and wrong. But his situational awareness needs work from time to time.

Watching him play, dude. I ain't sitting there and wearing out the rewind on my tape, I leave that to you professionals.

I didn't kill the guy's grandma or anything, I just don't come away with the impression that he really got up to speed like Branch did as a complete rookie. Caldwell has looked better as time goes on, but I think that we have seen a lot of guys fit in quicker. The Pats are a revolving door of players every year at different positions, and some guys fit in quicker than others. Gabriel is getting up to speed with no mini-camp, no training camp, no offseason, no pre-season. Wasn't on the team until the bullets were flying for real.

If you disagree, than that's cool.

He blocks much better than Watson, IMO. But 4 catches is not earth shattering, even by 'spread the ball' standards. I still see Gabriel and maybe Jackson as becoming the top WRs over time. I can't imagine that the Bills focused their game plan around taking Caldwell out of the game or anything.

5 catches, actually. I mistakenly listed the teams' first half stats.

R_T26 said:

Yeah, that's why they threw to him 8 some times in the first half. Because he's not getting open.

Yeesh, some idiocy in this thread.

PonyExpress said:
If posters who study every play carefully on film conclude that Caldwell is the team's best blocking Wr, I defer to them. However, watching games myself I have observed Caldwell not play to the whistle on several occasions. I have no agenda against Caldwell, and root for him fiercely like all other Pats. I went out of my way not to criticize his toughness, because that would be foolish and wrong. But his situational awareness needs work from time to time.

This is how I feel from a completely amateur point of view, sitting on my couch and maybe rewatching the game once or twice during the week.

PonyExpress said:
Yet we who do play with our rewinds and slow motions for the fun of learning are often lectured on the improbablity of seeing the "real" game on TV. Truth, we but do what we can - I find it helpful to look at all 22 players when making an interpretation of a player's performance. In Caldwell's defense, charges of alligator arms are unjustified since the one incident in preseason. He also has been one of Tommy's critical down go to guys this season. I'm looking forward to what he and this WR corps will be doing in February. :)

R_T26 said:

As Box said, reality sucks for you. No one is saying that Caldwell is the next great WR. He is solidly performing. He's doign the things asked of him. Yes, he has some drops, but so does T.O., Chad Johnson, and Tony Gonzalez (just to name a few). The 1st drop the ball was thrown just a bit in front of him. Yes, he got a hand on it and he probably should have had it. Now, someone mentioned 2 other drops, but I didn't see them. One, i believe, happened when I had to step away to help my step-daughters with something.

Anyways, its frigging amazing how people are griping about Caldwell all the time and acting ike he doesn't belong in the league. He's a solid receiver and better than B. Johnson, Davis, or Tim Dwight. I still support that Caldwell had his development hindered by his ACL and being stuck as the 5th receiving option in SD. But that is the past.

Caldwell has been catching plenty. Oh, and can you blame him that the routes they were throwing to him were short routes?

I think it's really poor, Pats1 and Box, to try to disallusion folks and their cherished perceptions by providing factual analytical information. Shame on you.

Off the topic, it seems like Belichick's methodical progression of installing schemes and accumulated practices is showing it's usual effect after the first half-dozen games of the season. Lot of fun to be a fan and see it evolving in one more season. Also nice to see Brady's and the receivers' obvious hard work coming to fruition. Hope this is another year where the whole process keeps getting the team more and more solid and effective. Great to be a fan.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
As Box said, reality sucks for you. No one is saying that Caldwell is the next great WR. He is solidly performing. He's doign the things asked of him. Yes, he has some drops, but so does T.O., Chad Johnson, and Tony Gonzalez (just to name a few). The 1st drop the ball was thrown just a bit in front of him. Yes, he got a hand on it and he probably should have had it. Now, someone mentioned 2 other drops, but I didn't see them. One, i believe, happened when I had to step away to help my step-daughters with something.

Anyways, its frigging amazing how people are griping about Caldwell all the time and acting ike he doesn't belong in the league. He's a solid receiver and better than B. Johnson, Davis, or Tim Dwight. I still support that Caldwell had his development hindered by his ACL and being stuck as the 5th receiving option in SD. But that is the past.

Caldwell has been catching plenty. Oh, and can you blame him that the routes they were throwing to him were short routes?
Gently Db, Dwightning is a different tool who was nicely effective last season in his role last season. I wouldn't use him exactly the same way Reche is being used.

Some folks complaining question Reche's route running, yet he was adequate as a decoy on Chad Jackson's first TD. He was targeted 8 times today, with 5 catches, not the greatest hands, but he got open at least once to attract Tommy's eye. He indeed only averaged 4 yds or so, but Tommy went to him what? 2, 3 times on WR screens or whatever they are called - it forced the CBs to play up closer to the line, safeties and linebackers had to be more cognizant of where he was in the formation - you have to wonder if it had a purpose? Oh, two deep balls today, Gabriel and Jackson, could it be? :)

Reche and Faulk were used as decoys today, you'd think other team's scouts could see Reche's incompetence the same way our eagle eye fans do? :cool:

arrellbee said:
I think it's really poor, Pats1 and Box, to try to disallusion folks and their cherished perceptions by providing factual analytical information. Shame on you.

Off the topic, it seems like Belichick's methodical progression of installing schemes and accumulated practices is showing it's usual effect after the first half-dozen games of the season. Lot of fun to be a fan and see it evolving in one more season. Also nice to see Brady's and the receivers' obvious hard work coming to fruition. Hope this is another year where the whole process keeps getting the team more and more solid and effective. Great to be a fan.
I feel great shame. :( Is there a 12 step program for factual addiction?

I seem to remember Caldwell making a very nice block on the little screen to Troy Brown that turned into a first down in this last game. Maybe I was imagining things though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe