PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Caldwell won't block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caldwell is our most reliable and consistent receiver behind Troy Brown at this point. He reminds me a lot of a more lanky Sean Jefferson. Honestly we're getting great production out of a guy who really disappointed in SD and it's been a nice surprise.

I think a lot of people just decided to hate him for some dropsies in the preseason and, predictably, are trying to justify that hate now by picking out one play amongst many solid ones so as to bolster their argument.

fnordcircle said:
Caldwell is our most reliable and consistent receiver behind Troy Brown at this point...

I think a lot of people just decided to hate him for some dropsies in the preseason and, predictably, are trying to justify that hate now by picking out one play amongst many solid ones so as to bolster their argument.

Couldn't agree more, fnord - post more. Good points.

I like Reche Caldwell. He has been pretty consistent for the Pats so far. My biggest criticism of him so far this season is I think he has good hands...not great hands. But, he catches most of the balls thrown his way and Brady seems to have developed some confidence in him. He threw the ball his way a lot yesterday!

As someone who was critical of Caldwell early, I've come to respect him. He's tough (as "The Hit" demonstrated), he seems to get better each week and as our resident know it all's showed in their film breakdowns, he's a damned good blocker. As DaBruinz said, he's not the next great WR, but he's a solid, reliable player.

That said, he's also a space cadet. Still can't get used to the eyes.

caldwellrt0.jpg

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Watching him play, dude. I ain't sitting there and wearing out the rewind on my tape, I leave that to you professionals.

I didn't kill the guy's grandma or anything, I just don't come away with the impression that he really got up to speed like Branch did as a complete rookie. Caldwell has looked better as time goes on, but I think that we have seen a lot of guys fit in quicker. The Pats are a revolving door of players every year at different positions, and some guys fit in quicker than others. Gabriel is getting up to speed with no mini-camp, no training camp, no offseason, no pre-season. Wasn't on the team until the bullets were flying for real.

If you disagree, than that's cool.

He blocks much better than Watson, IMO. But 4 catches is not earth shattering, even by 'spread the ball' standards. I still see Gabriel and maybe Jackson as becoming the top WRs over time. I can't imagine that the Bills focused their game plan around taking Caldwell out of the game or anything.

He was signed by the Pats to be a #3 or #4 WR and that he will be. And a damn good one too. No one had or has any illusion about him being our long-term #1 or #2.

When the Watson play happened, my daughter asked why Caldwell didn't block. We re-wound the DVR and watched the play a few times. No way could Caldwell have had any affect on that play at all... well, maybe he could have gotten an illegal block to the back or unecessary roughness. :) By the time Caldwell got into a position to hit someone, Watson was completely wrapped up.

Also, as someone else noted, Caldwell made an incredible block to spring Brown on a screen later in the game. I also rewound this play, just because I wanted to know who made that great block and there was #87.

I think Caldwell is a great 3rd down threat, but I'd rather see CJ and Gabriel the majority of the time. The good news for Reche is, of his 15 catches, a David Givens-esque 11 have been for 1st downs. On the other side, Caldwell has been on the field more than any other receiver on the team, yet he is 4th in yardage and is only averaging 9 yards a catch.

LloydBraun said:
If that potential TD throw from Brady was a lil better and if Caldwell catches that tough deep comeback throw late in the game, we are not having this conversation.

Caldwell, as well as the other WR's, are developing. This was a good test today vs. a tough d-line and a very good secondary.

I am optimistic about what I saw. I see definite room for improvement, but this is a step in the right direction.

That comeback attempted catch was a "prevent the INT" play. On close review he sees that the DB has the best position for the catch; he cuts inside and tries to cradle it but most of all to insure that it doesn't go to the DB.:p

shmessy said:
He was signed by the Pats to be a #3 or #4 WR and that he will be. And a damn good one too. No one had or has any illusion about him being our long-term #1 or #2.

I agree. I never had that illusion, which is why i find it amusing that people are so mystified when I say that he doesn't have the situational speed and 'edge' that Pro-Bowl type players exhibit on the field. We need him to be a #2 WR right now, and a #3 later. His blocking and work ethic and toughness are huge positives, and his hands are decent.

I like him, and liked him when they signed him. He looked lost in pre-season, but has made slow progress in the right direction.

I think Gabriel will be our most productive WR by the end of the season, and Jackson will have similiar numbers as Caldwell during some of the final games.

jaychamp said:
I seem to remember Caldwell making a very nice block on the little screen to Troy Brown that turned into a first down in this last game. Maybe I was imagining things though.

BINGO! While I was watching that play, I yelled "nice block". I couldn't see who it was. I did see the '7' and assumed it was either Caldwell or Jackson.

I think that Caldwell has been a very nice addition to the team. He's not a #1 receiver but maybe this team does not need a #1 with #12 throwing the ball.

I think that we will a have a good corps with Gabe, Caldwell, Jackson,and the TE's. And lets not forget Troy. He will always come up with a big play in spite of his advanced age.

Givens was a very good blocker for a WR. I think that Caldwell will not be as good but he has shown the willingness and that's a big part of being a blocker.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
BINGO! While I was watching that play, I yelled "nice block". I couldn't see who it was. I did see the '7' and assumed it was either Caldwell or Jackson.

Here i've been patiently munching my way thru a thread about Caldwell's BLOCKING.
For page after page, i've been waiting to mention this particular 4th quarter quickie to Troy
... where Caldwell utterly obliterates the DB tracking Brown.

But jaychamp and several others finally mention it forcefully.
THAT play ... all by itself ... dispels any notion that Reche is a weak or unwilling blocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes