PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

C.J TitBit - Confirmation and other highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

satz

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Last night while listening to simmins .The thing they mentioned was the long chat with the team members and coaches.

When jackson was in the 3rd quater he was talking about him and he went something like c,j should not worry that he is not picking up any plays /chemistry with TB and he was sure the pats coaches with throw him in a few plays and let him develop over time .It was kinda weird for him to say that C.J should not loose heart and realize it takes time for rookie WR to contribute in nfl.

Can someone else confirm this and also any more info !!!I am NOT starting a rumour just this is what heard.HE also mentioned how doug and chadwell give brady inside curl routes due to their toughness.

Did anyone notice as soon brady threw the touch down to TE graham he pointed at dan koppen with his finger for the awesome protection ?

Graham is a awesome FB .... he was leading blocking and cleared the running lane by man handling the guy into another blocker for maroney tb run.:rocker:.He took on the line man as light stepped back and ran as the FB for dillions run.I hope we keep him.

our weak secondary stepped up !!!

satz

Last edited:
Nobody should be alarmed that CJ isn't contributing. Very few rookie WR's do, even top 5 picks. What some people are alarmed about is his lack of playing time. It's difficult to be patient with a rookie with great potential when your team is struggling. If the Pats keep moving the ball without him I think all that talk will stop. BB isn't dumb, he's not going to risk re-injuring a potential franchise WR for a win in week 3.

And yes, Grambo is a stud blocker... I think the best in NFL right now. He's just an inconsistant reciever and may not being sticking around very long. :(

Last edited:
we should let the CJ talk die..he isnt jerry rice yet...there are the players on team playing hard and well i could care less about CJ being worried about his touches and disappointed etc etc..he is just a rookie.take a look at troy brown..nuff said..

Well Colston and Jennings look pretty good thus so far in 2006 as rookies....why cant our guy?

Dagg said:
Well Colston and Jennings look pretty good thus so far in 2006 as rookies....why cant our guy?

That sounded childish .....

Its generally accepted that many receivers take about three years to fully realize their potential in the NFL - for example, take a look at Reggie Williams of Jacksonville or Roy Williams of the Lions - Williams by many was labeled a bust for his first two years (i'm pretty sure this is his 3rd year.) and while Roy Williams has always shown flashes of his capabilities, he's finally becoming consistent in his performance this year - If the pats/boston media is smart, they won't be too judgemental with Jackson this early in his career.

Dagg said:
In large part because he missed all of training camp.

Additionally, the Patriots typically don't give a rookie a small piece of his position to learn and get what they can out of him. They make rookies learn the full position like with TE, for example, they didn't have Graham and Watson just learn the pass routes, they slowed their development to make them learn the full TE position. If they are able to contribute as rookies, fantastic, but the emphasis is developing them to their full potential. They could easily have Jackson run some deep routes but he's being forced to learn the full offense which may take half the season.

Not meaning to sound childish just being a realist. If your good your good you dont need 3 years. Look at Boldin, Moss and a few others (as well as those I mentioned above) who had great (or are having) success as rookies.

Sure CJ has missed alot of time but I am sick of hearing the "WR need 3 years speech" it only applies to those that develop slow or might be burried behind better talent. The later is not the case in NE if he was even half assed he would be better than Brown and Caldwell. If we had a solid #2 behind gabriel I would be fine waiting but since we dealt Branch we dont, we need him to step up now not in 3 years.

I think resigning Graham is VERY necesary. His blocking is absolutely huge for this team.

Another factor in CJ getting less attention might be that the focus at the moment is getting Brady in sync with Gabriel and Caldwell. It may have less to do with CJ himself and more to do with the team's priority to establish a semblance of a passing attack. It's coming, isn't it?

Dagg said:
Not meaning to sound childish just being a realist. If your good your good you dont need 3 years. Look at Boldin, Moss and a few others (as well as those I mentioned above) who had great (or are having) success as rookies.

Sure CJ has missed alot of time but I am sick of hearing the "WR need 3 years speech" it only applies to those that develop slow or might be burried behind better talent. The later is not the case in NE if he was even half assed he would be better than Brown and Caldwell. If we had a solid #2 behind gabriel I would be fine waiting but since we dealt Branch we dont, we need him to step up now not in 3 years.

So, in other words, he receivers who take time to develop, the Jimmy Smiths, the Roy Williams', aren't good?

Dagg said:

Dagg,
Take back the childish comment but i think with 3 new WR it is going to be harder for brady to develop anything going especially teaching a rookie in nfl.The priority is to bring doug and cadwell in first and let him develop once the doug and cadwell are all set.Then again if it closer to the playoff i think they will prefer brady out their with his playoff WR`s then working with the rookie.He will be involved in couple plays for sure but i do not see him as a starter this year w/o injuries.

I see where you are coming from I guess its my negativity for Caldwell (im still not sold on him) and want to see him replaced as the #2.

I am coming from the perspective of a front office who had enough confidence to let Branch walk with what we had in house. And at that time it was Jackson/Caldwell/Brown. So I must infer they thought Jackson was strong enough to pickup the slack (and he may well be its only the 4th week) I just dont like the give him 3 years attitude I see everyday on this board. WRs can produce right out of college but I understand the at least getting Caldwell and Gabriel up and running first attitude.

Say what you want about Caldwell, but thus far he's done everything asked of him and more - I liked what i had been seeing of him before the bengals game (he's not targeted often, but when he is, he almost always catches it - what more could you ask for?) but the way he got back in the game after that brutal Kaesvahaern (sp?) hit - how can you not admire the kind of toughness that takes?

Pats have 3 new guys. They're going to use their coaching on the guys with more NFL experience, Gabriel and caldwell.

If you try to do everything at once, you end up accomplishing nothing.

After yesterday, why are we still worrying about what other teams do?:confused:

Dagg said:
I see where you are coming from I guess its my negativity for Caldwell (im still not sold on him) and want to see him replaced as the #2.

I am coming from the perspective of a front office who had enough confidence to let Branch walk with what we had in house. And at that time it was Jackson/Caldwell/Brown. So I must infer they thought Jackson was strong enough to pickup the slack (and he may well be its only the 4th week) I just dont like the give him 3 years attitude I see everyday on this board. WRs can produce right out of college but I understand the at least getting Caldwell and Gabriel up and running first attitude.

There was a thread last week I think you need to see which listed all the great WRs of today and had their rookie stats. None of them had good rookie years, and there are only a few exceptions to this. There are a whole lot more Santana Mosses than Randy Mosses out there.

Still, I think we're all hoping that CJ will contribute this year, and most of us are confident he will contribute in a big way, but later in the season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes