PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi; Overreaction or Valid Point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this was about just tweeting, then he would have had me on board, but he just attacked a specific tweet and that is what I think went overboard.
I hate twitter so if I find people tweeting, instead of doing something else with their time, it pisses me off.
The argument people use to counter my stance is that tweeting only but takes a few seconds. That is not true, this is an addicting behavior and once you tweet, you are mostly like to use the rest of your time to check for replies, re-tweets, blocking people.

I like Chad and he has a long rope with me, but that penalty he got for lack of attention shorten his rope a bit.

If a guy like Jabar Gaffney can come in here in 2006, learn the system and start performing in game one, then Ocho with his 10 years of experience must have a learning disability.

The problem is with your if...

Jabbar the Gaff did not light up the field until the playoffs.

The problem is with your if...

Jabbar the Gaff did not light up the field until the playoffs.

Gaffney was picked up on Oct 9th that year by his 3rd week in the system he had 67 yds in receptions. Ocho has been here 6 weeks now and has produced nothing, and it cost $4 mil a year.

I read some where about speculation that BB told Ocho to give twitter a rest prior to Bruschis comments.

I think it was twitter. :p

Got no problems with Bruschi calling out Ocho Stinko - thats what folks in Boston are calling him.

Good topic.

I'm going with over-reaction on this one - and I say that as someone who is pretty skeptical of Ochocinco's ability to be a major contributor and deep threat on this team.

From an attitude perspective Ochocinco is the anti-Moss. He was in for very few plays (which isn't surprising given the experienced personnel needed to implement that excellent game plan) and he committed a major penalty in addition to having limited contributions.

Instead of griping about getting so few looks like Moss would have, Ochocinco took to Twitter to express admiration for his teammates and take pride in a team win.

I know fans are fickle, but I applaud that attitude and consider it very Patriot-esque, regardless of his limited production.

Would I like to see Ochocinco talk about how much harder he's going to work in practice - perhaps asking for extra reps with Brady to improve his timing etc? Sure.

But I think Chad's expressed attitude deserves appreciation rather than scorn, and think Bruschi misunderstood Chad's intent and took his comments out of context.

There will be games when we need Ochocinco to step up, and he will get many more looks than he did on Monday. When that time comes I'll judge Chad accordingly - but I find nothing distasteful about his post-game comments - in fact I view it as a very positive sign.

Hey, let's face it. After spending so many years on crappy Bengal teams, it's not unexpected that OC would be overwhelmed to be on the Pats and participate in a game like Monday night. He doesn't have to be the star hear, just another contributor. Bruschi should give the guy a break.

Honestly, I'm just tired of the entire situation and all of the attention given to this topic. If he gets better, fine, if he doesn't, well we'll survive.

I tend to agree. Hernandez seems like he's taken it to the next level. Defensive coordinators are going to be pulling their hair out defending a TE who has enough speed to go deep and enough bulk to bowl over DBs (not to mention the speed that all of our WRs showed against the Fins)

Having an extra deep WR would REALLY cause them to have seizures - and I hope Ochocinco pans out

But as much as having a deep threat would have been a help in the playoffs last year, if Hernandez and Gronkowski remain healthy (always an "if") all season I think we have enough deep threats to keep defenses not only honest, but reeling trying to adapt.

ocho should keep his big mouth shut and learn patriot way

A complete overreaction. A big Bruschi fail in my opinion. After one game?
Get a life Teddy!

If a guy like Jabar Gaffney can come in here in 2006, learn the system and start performing in game one, then Ocho with his 10 years of experience must have a learning disability.

Didn't Tiquan Underwood show he understood the offense better than OchoCinco in the couple of days and 1 preseason game he played? If it wasn't for Chad's guaranteed $$ and signing bonus, he'd be cut by now.

Big time overreaction. I love Tedy but he needs to chill.
I saw Brady's reaction to the comments, probably wasn't the whole thing but he said he has no complaints about Chad and looked pretty annoyed about the whole thing.

I have no problem with Bruschi's comments. His job is to make buzz provoking comments aboutb the NFL. He did his job, all you have to do is look at the 200+ posts in the other thread. Its the big media topic of the day locally and nationally concerning the Pats
I don't agree. SOME TV guys jobs are to create buzz. (Skip Bayless comes to mind) Others, like Bruschi are to be ANALYSTS and use their knowledge and insight to discuss football. Becoming part of the story is for sensationalist journalists who have no other talents.

But in reality its really just a tempest in a teapot. Monday night in Miami the game plan was to go 2 TEs and 2 WRs as the base package. Just WHERE was Ocho supposed to play. Certainly at this stage of the season he wasn't going to beat out Branch or Welker. At this point of the season he is the #3 WR. Monday that translated into 18 snaps, 3 targets and one catch (a very nice one BTW).
Thats not reallly what it was about though. Bruschi ripped him for tweeting that he was amazed at what he saw. This was after Bruschi jumped the Grand Canyon of conclusions to what 85 meant in his tweet.

The real issue is that there IS no issue. It simply wasn't a game plan where the #3 WR was in a position to shine.and side from the penalty, Chad DID HIS JOB. Isn't that EVERY Patriot player is SUPPOSED to do? This is ANOTHER example of the media and fans creating an issue rather than there actually being one.
The media being Bruschi.
By the way, I keep hearing 85 lined up wrong but its at least 50% chance that the TE was supposed to be behind the los.

If Chad HADN'T tweeted anything that night, the big headline would have been, "Chad doesn't tweet. He must be pouting about not being a factor in a record setting performance. Then Felger would have commented. "I saw him on the sideline and he wasn't sitting on Brady's lap. That CONFIRMS it. Ocho is upset." THEN WEEI's big show opens their show with the opening. Media sources CONFIRM that Ocho is upset about not getting the ball enough. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This would be funny if it wasn't so close to the truth
When the media invents the story, the readers and listeners should not read or listen.
Unfortunately the popularity of fantasy football has created 'fans' of the NFL that are no more than celebrity lovers. Soon NFL player will grace the covers of the supermarket tabloids, as their off the field life is quickly becoming more focussed upon that their on field play.

Didn't Tiquan Underwood show he understood the offense better than OchoCinco in the couple of days and 1 preseason game he played? If it wasn't for Chad's guaranteed $$ and signing bonus, he'd be cut by now.
No he didnt

Bruschi is not a NFL analyst he is a new england patriots analyst, the only time he gets on TV is when he's talking about the pats so if does not have anything news worthy to say about he's former team he does not have a job
That is not true. Bruschi is on NFL Live often, among other things.

I vote for overreaction.

1. do we really know he is not studying? because he spends like 4 minutes tweeting, it means he's not serious?

2. Pats are about the team, not individual stats

3. give the guy a little time

Big time overreaction. I love Tedy but he needs to chill.
I saw Brady's reaction to the comments, probably wasn't the whole thing but he said he has no complaints about Chad and looked pretty annoyed about the whole thing.

Agree completely.
Troy Brown had the same reaction as Brady. Felger tried to get him to endorse Bruschi's pontification but Brown wanted no part of it.
I also think it's important to remember that guys like Bruschi and Vrabel, while tremendous contributors to SB winning teams, were not universally beloved in that locker room.
Who on this current team in the big pipeline of info to Bruschi??
Vince?? I think not. And I think he's the only one left on D that played with Bru so Bru has few if any buds left on the D.
Brady?? Nah. Don't think it's Brady's style to have former players sending messages to his currrent teammates. Tom isn't shy about being a leader and if Tom has something to say he's always done his own talking.
Is it the elder statesmen O linemen who are friends of Tedy?? Nah!
Belichick himself is feeding this stuff to Bru?? Doubt it.
I think the Bruschi pipeline to Foxborough is highly overrated and I don't think he gets half the inside info some would have you believe.

I don't agree. SOME TV guys jobs are to create buzz. (Skip Bayless comes to mind) Others, like Bruschi are to be ANALYSTS and use their knowledge and insight to discuss football. Becoming part of the story is for sensationalist journalists who have no other talents.
Well that's what they SHOULD be doing. Talking about all the "inside" stuff that only THEY know about. But really none of them do it.

That's not reallly what it was about though. Bruschi ripped him for tweeting that he was amazed at what he saw. This was after Bruschi jumped the Grand Canyon of conclusions to what 85 meant in his tweet.
Yes, I was just lumping in all the commentary about why he didn't have a bigger role in the offense. Its not because he doesn't know the play book, or that he isn't working hard enough. Its that it take more than 6 weeks so that you aren't "thinking" your way through your routes as opposed to simply reacting to what you are seeing

The media being Bruschi.
By the way, I keep hearing 85 lined up wrong but its at least 50% chance that the TE was supposed to be behind the los.
Doesn't matter if it was his fault or not There were 7 other penalties. I don't understand why no one is complaining about any of them?

When the media invents the story, the readers and listeners should not read or listen.
Unfortunately the popularity of fantasy football has created 'fans' of the NFL that are no more than celebrity lovers. Soon NFL player will grace the covers of the supermarket tabloids, as their off the field life is quickly becoming more focussed upon that their on field play.
Amen brother. I am aghast that our so called media is making a national issue of Brady's tongue in cheek comments on fans drinking before the game. It isn't just the sport sections. It led one of the local newcasts. :rolleyes: Liquor-gate here we come :rolleyes:

I don't think he over reacted. If anything, I hope his reaction lights a fire under Chad's butt and he gets his act together. Some people say "give him a break, he hasn't had much time to learn the Pats difficult system", ok fine, but Woodhead didn't seem to have any problem learning it in a week.

Woodhead plays wide receiver?

Doesn't matter if it was his fault or not There were 7 other penalties. I don't understand why no one is complaining about any of them?
because the other penalties were holding and PI and other FOOTBALL penalties.

Ochocinco was outside. his responsibility not to cover the TE, not the other way around. Outside man looks inside to see the snap. It should have been pretty obvious that the TE was on the LOS.

This is called about once a year. It is a rookie, not-thinking and not focused penalty.

The other reason people are more upset is that Ochocinco hasn't done crap and can't catch the ball. I'm sure when/if he gets his act together and starts catching balls that are thrown to him people won't go bonkers if he commits offensive PI, or blocks before the pass or pics someone. But if he covers a TE again expect to have him pilloried.

Fans aren't the only ones upset. I doubt BB was happy.

The only people with learning disabilities are those that think that Gaffney lit the world on fire in 2006.

11 catches in 11 games.

If Ochocinco sucks as badly through 11 as your Sainted Gaffney, he'll be shipped out.

The Cult of Gaffney continues to amaze.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk