PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns vs. Patriots (Perspective from a Browns fan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andra Davis or Chaun Thompson over Bruschi/Seau. In fact, probably both over those two.
You can only have one as Bruschi and Seau share one position :)

Browns fans don't like Davis a lot, though, they say he's very soft.

Pats do not have trap games, although they are not always as sharp (e.g., 9-3 win against a weaker Browns team a few years ago.

No Pats fan will root for the Browns, but many will be after this game for three reasons:

1. Romeo

2. Willie

3. The Steelers

It's been said, but NE doesn't fall victim to trap games. They also don't overlook AFC teams in favor of NFC ones.

The guy you should be concerned about is Vince Wilfork. He's a beast. Vrabel and Colvin (if healthy, which I think he isn't) cause more havoc than Bruschi.

Jamal Lewis stands little chance of doing much against NE. Quick backs have more success than power ones. The defense is very big and not easily pushed around.

Trust us, this NE team is special. We've seen 3 championship teams and many of us are just in awe of this team. In past years we'd admit their faults. I don't know if this team has any.

Anything can happen. NE can fall back to Earth and Cleveland can play the game of their lives. If NE blows them out don't blame Cleveland. After every game people have focused on "what's wrong with NY/SD/Cincinnati?" (the answer, of course, being that NE was simply dominant). I seriously don't see any issue getting blown out by this team. They're that good.

Oh, and we're ridiculously spoiled. NE clobbered Cincinnati the other night and I couldn't help but nitpick the troubles they had early on. A 21 point victory was their worse game of the year. There was a lot Belichick could dislike from that game and I expect the team to come out sharp on Sunday.

My 2 cents.

1. I really like the Browns OL and offensive skill players. HOWEVER this is not a good match up for the Browns because it matches the Brown's strengths against the Pats DL, which might be the best in the league. Also the Pat tend to do better against the big RBs like Bettis and Lewis than they do against the slashing RBs like Henry and Portis (not that the do badly against them, but they really excell against guys like Lewis. Bettis averaged less than 3 ypc against the Pats over the years, and Lewis had a similar results the last time he played against the Pats.

2. The Browns have a few nice players on defense, just not enough of them, nor do they have the depth to employ the myriad of defenses RAC employed when he was here. A weak DL and lack of depth spell a long day for the Cleveland defense. It might take a quarter or two to decipher what RAC has prepared, but when the dam breaks it will be a flood.

3. Cleveland IS not going to be top ten draft pick team this year. I don't know if they can make the playoffs and save RAC's job, but they WILL spoil a number of team's weekends THIS year and FINALLY seem to be on the right track. Like someone stated earlier, the Browns are a DL away from being a serious playoff contender.

One horrible side note, from a Browns perspective...

Teams have a bad habit of showing up against N.E., then getting worse after playing us. It could be that playing NE is like putting up a big poster that says "how to beat our offense," and then the rest of the league copies it. Or maybe teams get so up for the NE game, they just can't cope w/the letdown. Who knows.

IF the Browns lose as predicted, and in the manner predicted, I wonder how the beatdown affects them going forward. I like them myself, just because everybody likes to see motion in a division, and everybody else in the North has had their chances over the last three or four seasons. But they have one of those "Wow, he could be the real deal..." QBs, sort of coming out of nowhere... I wonder if the Pats rattle his *** back to earth. And I wonder if the game will leave, ahem, an impression.

Eh well -- that's why they play the game! By the way, Anderson looks great thus far. My comment was only about his relative inexperience, and the possibility that this game's effects linger going forward.

PFnV

As much as you think the Pats will focus more on Dallas than the Browns, BB will make sure you are wrong.

He take each game one at a time, adjusting and practice that suit for the upcoming opponent.

As for if the team get ****y, BB will yell at them and point out all the weakness the team have.

On the Browns' side though, they do look like the best team the Pats have faced yet this season. They're the only team at .500, at least, and they should have won in Oakland.

Their defense isn't looking so hot (a 45-pt game will do that), but on the field I think they're a more complete unit than the Bengals, and they won't be as depleted by injuries. Plus they have Romeo, who I'm sure has at least a few tricks left in the bag. :) Unlike Mangini, Romeo actually had responsibility for running the entire defense while he was here. (And we haven't won a SB since he left)

That's OK. Most of us remember what's it's like. I've been a Patriots fan since 1983 and I clearly remember the bad old days when the Pats were perennial cellar dwellars with 5-11 records.
:p

I guess I'm getting old but I remember some of the lean years in the '60s and '70s when 5-11 was a good year!!!!!! That is compared to a 2-14 or 2-12 debacle....

Will we catch you guys looking past us toward Dallas in a trap game? Yes.

Please share with me the last time the Patriots looked past anyone?? :confused: It ain't happening. But good luck with your wishful thinking.

Okay so I was off on my prediction by 10 points. 34-17 was the final.

Unfortunately I was unable to see the game as the sports bar I went to with my girlfriend was overcrowded and she didn't want to stay :mad:.

Did you guys think we gave you a competitive game? I know Anderson made a bunch of mistakes (I'm not surprised). If we could have gotten a TD, instead of the INT in the back of the endzone in the first I think it might have been a different game.

Did this game look like all the other ones you have played so far this year or did we present maybe a little more of a challenge, I'm just wondering.;)

Unfortunately I was unable to see the game as the sports bar I went to with my girlfriend was overcrowded and she didn't want to stay :mad:.

Did you guys think we gave you a competitive game? I know Anderson made a bunch of mistakes (I'm not surprised). If we could have gotten a TD, instead of the INT in the back of the endzone in the first I think it might have been a different game.

Did this game look like all the other ones you have played so far this year or did we present maybe a little more of a challenge, I'm just wondering.;)

The Pats took advantage of Cleveland's mistakes and managed to go up 20-0 at halftime. But, the Pat's offense came out sluggish in the second half and the Browns just wouldn't go away, which is a credit to them. They double-teamed Moss effectively, which opened up opportunities for other receivers. The Browns were within ten points but blew it away with a final pick returned for a TD. It was a good game by your Brownies, probably closer than it normally would be because the Pats were uncharacteristically flat pretty much the whole game. But, I'd take a 17 point win during an "off" game any day.

Yeah we really have to eliminate those mistakes if we want to be a winning team.

Derek Anderson has not played in a pro game without throwing an INT :bricks:

The second half was much more competitive, in fairness, and the Browns D played better. Clearly, Derek Anderson needs to sort out his decision making as some of the picks were very, very poor from a Browns perspective. I also think that your D needs to improve the pass rush, because Brady had all sorts of time.
Having said that, I think Cleveland is headed in the right direction and building a team the right way. I have always had a soft spot for the Browns, so I hope you guys do well in the future.

It was more competitive, despite the 20-0 halftime lead. The Browns D forced field goals twice when the Pats had the ball deep inside and the Browns would go away in the 3rd, outplaying the Pats and turning into a closer game.
Hard hitting game with many injuries to both teams..Defintely on the right track and IF Anderson ccan make a few better decisions he'll be just fine. The Pats did play a bit flat for them..Brady missed a few open receivers and some passes were dropped.
I did think it would be a closer game than many; just thought a young team with enthusiasm would keep on playing strong..and they did. A tough division with Pitts, Balt and Cinci, bit with games against Mia and StLouis..could be 2 wins there.

I thought that the Browns had a pretty decent game plan (double teaming Moss, short crossing routes, runs to the outside) and they played hard. Sammy Morris ran very well, but the Browns' run defense was pretty tough. The O-line gave Anderson enough time, for the most part. But they were badly affected by mistakes (turnovers and penalties) and injuries (although the back-up running back played very well).

Thanks for coming by (especially after the game) and good luck with the rest of the season!

turnovers aside, i think the browns showed very well. i'm glad to see crennel has turned that team around. you guys are definitely headed in the right direction. there are sunny skies ahead for browns fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe