PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns vs. Patriots (Perspective from a Browns fan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Not too many people are giving us a chance in this game because well... we are the Browns :rolleyes: and you are the Patriots :cool: . Everyone (minus maybe a few Browns fans) believes that the Pats will roll to another 38-7 or 38-14 victory. ESPN has us 25th in the Power Rankings after beating Baltimore :confused: and you guys sit atop the football world.

When I look at your team I see what appears to be the most complete NFL team in a LONG time. It may be but then I look at the teams you guys have played (NYJ, BUF, SD, CIN). All 4 of those teams sit at 1-3 so maybe that invincible image you guys have is a bit of an illusion.

Do I think that we will be the team to pull a huge upset? No. Will we catch you guys looking past us toward Dallas in a trap game? Yes. Unfortunately for us I don't think that will translate into a win but we will give you the closest game you have had so far this year.

Our defense has been anything but good so far this season. We can't stop the run and I don't see that changing Sunday. We do have a better rush D than Cinci (not saying much) but I still expect you guys to be effective on the ground. Bodden (our #1 corner) is very physical and is finally getting healthy after playing the first couple of games with an injury. I think he will give Moss a hard time and disrupt his rhythm for the first time this year. Sunday will be Randy's first game with <100 yards receiving. Welker on the other hand (I really like that guy) will have a solid game.

Your D is very solid all across the board. Adialius Thomas, Rodney Harrison and Teddy are the three I fear the most. Our offense has been a surprise so far (6th in scoring) but Derek Anderson will make mistakes. I think he will toss two INT's Sunday that will end any real shot we have at winning this game. That being said I think Winslow and Edwards have strong games.

The only way we can win is to win in a shootout, or at least it seems that way. Will we put up 51 points against you guys? No. Will we put up our season average? Yes, I think so.

I don't see us stopping you guys on Offense, at least in the running game but I can see us slowing down your passing attack just a little bit. I say you guys get 34 points on us.

Jamal Lewis will have about 10-15 runs for 2-5 yards and 2-3 for about 20 yards. Around 75 yards for the game for Lewis. Winslow has a big game. Big TE's are really the only weakness I have seen from your guys D. I'll give us 27 points.

Pats win 34-27 in a very competitive game.

Last edited:
Good post, but I don't see how what you wrote translates into 27 points for the Browns, to tell you the truth.

By the way, don't fear Teddy.......he's a weak link on the defense.

I see the 27 points coming from Cribbs setting us up in the return game (forgot to mention that). We have a very solid special teams unit. Cribbs is averaging somewhere around 37 yards per kickoff return :eek:

I think we will pick up a couple of lucky turnovers that we turn into 10 points. A Morris/Maroney fumble and a Brady INT.

Anderson will go 21/36 for 279 yards 2TD's and 2INT's. Dawson has 2 fg's and I think we get 1 rushing TD as well.

EDIT: Come join us at www.dawgtalkers.net to talk some football :)

Last edited:
Not too many people are giving us a chance in this game because well... we are the Browns :rolleyes: and you are the Patriots :cool: . Everyone (minus maybe a few Browns fans) believes that the Pats will roll to another 38-7 or 38-14 victory. ESPN has us 25th in the Power Rankings after beating Baltimore :confused: and you guys sit atop the football world.

When I look at your team I see what appears to be the most complete NFL team in a LONG time. It may be but then I look at the teams you guys have played (NYJ, BUF, SD, CIN). All 4 of those teams sit at 1-3 so maybe that invincible image you guys have is a bit of an illusion.

Do I think that we will be the team to pull a huge upset? No. Will we catch you guys looking past us toward Dallas in a trap game? Yes. Unfortunately for us I don't think that will translate into a win but we will give you the closest game you have had so far this year.

Our defense has been anything but good so far this season. We can't stop the run and I don't see that changing Sunday. We do have a better rush D than Cinci (not saying much) but I still expect you guys to be effective on the ground. Bodden (our #1 corner) is very physical and is finally getting healthy after playing the first couple of games with an injury. I think he will give Moss a hard time and disrupt his rhythm for the first time this year. Sunday will be Randy's first game with <100 yards receiving. Welker on the other hand (I really like that guy) will have a solid game.

Your D is very solid all across the board. Adialius Thomas, Rodney Harrison and Teddy are the three I fear the most. Our offense has been a surprise so far (6th in scoring) but Derek Anderson will make mistakes. I think he will toss two INT's Sunday that will end any real shot we have at winning this game. That being said I think Winslow and Edwards have strong games.

The only way we can win is to win in a shootout, or at least it seems that way. Will we put up 51 points against you guys? No. Will we put up our season average? Yes, I think so.

I don't see us stopping you guys on Offense, at least in the running game but I can see us slowing down your passing attack just a little bit. I say you guys get 34 points on us.

Jamal Lewis will have about 10-15 runs for 2-5 yards and 2-3 for about 20 yards. Around 75 yards for the game for Lewis. Anderson will throw for a good amount of yards but also throw two INT's. I think we put up our season average (for points) but still come up a bit short. I'll give us 27 points.

OK, we have some issues here.
1) How would you expect to score your season average against the best defense in the NFL? It isnt logical that your average, built against weaker defenses is what you will score against the #1 D.
2) How do you expect Jamal Lewis who is NOT a breakaway runner to get 2-3 20+ runs against the Patriot defense? The Patriot defense has allowed a total of 15 runs of 20+ yards in the last 68 games. Thats less than one every 4, and you expect a slow back to do it 2-3 times in one game? It has happened ZERO times this year. 2 times would match the total for the 2003 season, and 3 would match the total for 2005 season. Last year they allowed 6 20+ runs all season. This is one of the worst predictions Ive ever seen.
3) The Patriots have allowed 12 points a game to the Chargers, Jets, Bills, Bengals. You expect that you will get 225% of that? You are saying that your offense in one game will score as many points against us as the Chargers AND Bengals did COMBINED in 2 games?
4) Leigh Bodden covering Randy Moss is NOT something in the Browns favor.

Nice try though. I am kinda pulling for the Browns this year, so Romeo can keep his job, but there is just a HUGE, HUGE difference in these teams. Anderson is going to have a very long day being introduced to what BB does to inexperienced QBs, and your D is up to the challenge of this offense.

I see the 27 points coming from Cribbs setting us up in the return game (forgot to mention that). We have a very solid special teams unit. Cribbs is averaging somewhere around 37 yards per kickoff return :eek:

I think we will pick up a couple of lucky turnovers that we turn into 10 points. A Morris/Maroney fumble and a Brady INT.

Anderson will go 21/36 for 279 yards 2TD's and 2INT's. Dawson has 2 fg's and I think we get 1 rushing TD as well.

and our kicker Gostkowski is among the league leaders in kickoffs for touchbacks

no way does Anderson do better against the Patriots than Carson Palmer just did

no way is this team looking past the Browns--it does NOT happen with this team

try to enjoy the game and not focus on what could be a sound beating

Should be a good game. Looking forward to welcoming back RAC and Willie before we make them miss being here!!

OK, we have some issues here.
1) How would you expect to score your season average against the best defense in the NFL? It isnt logical that your average, built against weaker defenses is what you will score against the #1 D.
2) How do you expect Jamal Lewis who is NOT a breakaway runner to get 2-3 20+ runs against the Patriot defense? The Patriot defense has allowed a total of 15 runs of 20+ yards in the last 68 games. Thats less than one every 4, and you expect a slow back to do it 2-3 times in one game? It has happened ZERO times this year. 2 times would match the total for the 2003 season, and 3 would match the total for 2005 season. Last year they allowed 6 20+ runs all season. This is one of the worst predictions Ive ever seen.
3) The Patriots have allowed 12 points a game to the Chargers, Jets, Bills, Bengals. You expect that you will get 225% of that? You are saying that your offense in one game will score as many points against us as the Chargers AND Bengals did COMBINED in 2 games?
4) Leigh Bodden covering Randy Moss is NOT something in the Browns favor.

Nice try though. I am kinda pulling for the Browns this year, so Romeo can keep his job, but there is just a HUGE, HUGE difference in these teams. Anderson is going to have a very long day being introduced to what BB does to inexperienced QBs, and your D is up to the challenge of this offense.

Okay. You flipped the statistics back on me, I'll take that. You might be right ( I really wouldn't be surprised if you were) but then again you also could be wrong.

Any given Sunday, any team can win in the NFL. Scoring statistics really don't mean anything after only 4 games of a season. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens Sunday. There is a reason as to why the games are actually played ;)

Don't be surprised if we give you guys a run for your money. If you guys blow us out, I'll be back to say I was wrong :bricks:

Foolish Browns fan, the Patriots never look beyond their current opponent. There is no trap game.

The ironic thing about your statement is that I see the Browns and Cowboys as similar teams when matched up strength for strength. I think people are sleeping on Cleveland.

The offensive line is stocked with talent and is starting to gel. Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow have shown to be an explosive combo. Jamal Lewis is running with a chip on his shoulder. The linebackers are quick and talented and the safeties are among the games best.

What I see keeping the Browns from legit playoff contention is the defensive line, which in year 3 of the Romeo Crennell regime is still cast with nothing but journeymen. Get some studs in your front 3 and you may be looking at a wild card contender.

As for Sunday, I expect a closer game than we've played all year, but the Pats will prevail in this one. I hope you guys put up a good showing because I love your coach, and the city deserves a good football team.

Good post, but I don't see how what you wrote translates into 27 points for the Browns, to tell you the truth.

By the way, don't fear Teddy.......he's a weak link on the defense.

I don't either. 2 INTs and only 7 yards on the ground cannot possibly equal 27 points when the opposition is running on you and scoring. This is a near impossibility because of time of possession.

also, looking at our opposition's records is not going to yield much this early in the season, especially since 4 of those losses came at the hands of the Patriots. Why does our division suck so bad? It may have something to do with having to play the Patriots twice a year.

Last edited:
Foolish Browns fan, the Patriots never look beyond their current opponent. There is no trap game.

You are probably right, but hey I can hope that you guys would by some chance look past us on Sunday. It doesn't look like it's going to happen though :snob:

Our offensive line has been a huge surprise :woohoo: All that money we have poured into the O-line is finally starting to pay off.

Here's to a good game Sunday with no injuries on both sides of the ball :eat3:

Last edited:
The Pats will take away all deep shots to Edwards and company and will dare Anderson to pick them apart in small bites. Not impossible, but asking quite a bit from the guy.

On D, if the Browns can't stop the run, they are doomed. The Pats have run the ball on all four opponents so far and if the Browns have to put 8 in the box to stop the run, Brady will play-action to a single-covered Moss or Welker on a slant for 6 (or 12 or 18) easily.

Regards,
Chris

This team was sluggish in practice -- and then 1+ quarters in the game -- against Buffalo after a Sunday night game. After a Monday night road game -- well, I'm glad they had the Buffalo scare, or this could be a real issue again.

One probably with a "trap game" theory, however -- the Pats have a LOT of respect for Romeo. What's more, another ex-coach, Mangini, totally outcoached BB in one game last season. So I don't think they'll take the Browns lightly.

The Pats will take away all deep shots to Edwards and company and will dare Anderson to pick them apart in small bites. Not impossible, but asking quite a bit from the guy.
You hit the nail for me. Anderson lives and dies with big plays but he's inaccurate and has trouble reading defenses. Now he faces a team that will take the big play away and force him to be accurate short all the way down the field.

Bad matchup for the Browns.

This team was sluggish in practice -- and then 1+ quarters in the game -- against Buffalo after a Sunday night game. After a Monday night road game -- well, I'm glad they had the Buffalo scare, or this could be a real issue again.

One probably with a "trap game" theory, however -- the Pats have a LOT of respect for Romeo. What's more, another ex-coach, Mangini, totally outcoached BB in one game last season. So I don't think they'll take the Browns lightly.

wait

the Buffalo scare?

being down 7-3 and then winning 38-7 is a SCARE?

that's f'cked up

wait

the Buffalo scare?

being down 7-3 and then winning 38-7 is a SCARE?

that's f'cked up
LOL, the TV announcer called it "stunning" about three times while Buffalo was ahead :bricks:

38-7 is a scare for you guys? :eek:

Silly spoiled Patriots fans :p

Hah! try being a Browns fan :eek:

38-7 is a scare for you guys? :eek:

Silly spoiled Patriots fans :p

Hah! try being a Browns fan :eek:

That's OK. Most of us remember what's it's like. I've been a Patriots fan since 1983 and I clearly remember the bad old days when the Pats were perennial cellar dwellars with 5-11 records.

To put it another way, last season the Patriots passed the .500 mark as a franchise. Since 2001, they have a .700+ winning percentage. Yeah, that's how bad we were for most of our history. :p

Okay. You flipped the statistics back on me, I'll take that. You might be right ( I really wouldn't be surprised if you were) but then again you also could be wrong.

Any given Sunday, any team can win in the NFL. Scoring statistics really don't mean anything after only 4 games of a season. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens Sunday. There is a reason as to why the games are actually played ;)

Don't be surprised if we give you guys a run for your money. If you guys blow us out, I'll be back to say I was wrong :bricks:

You are correct that anything can happen in a football game, and we are due for a nail biter. I don't know if this will be the week or not, but on paper this game won't be close.

The best thing I can wish for the Browns right now is that we don't derail your whole season by exposing you or something. Belichick is known for doing that, but I don't think he will go out of his way to hurt Romeo's chances.

I think a lot of us like the Browns right now because they have Romeo and Willie, and they play in a division we f#cking hate. I have rooted in vain for the Browns many times... :(

So best case scenario for you is that we come out and play flat and it ends up being a somewhat close game, as in we don't put it away until the final quarter for sure. Worst case for you, we don't want to talk about...and worst case for us is that somehow we actually lose the game, but that seems remote.

Well, we didn't play all that well in the first quarter of the Buffalo game.

I have a very warm feeling toward the Browns, having grown up near Cleveland in the Brown's greatest days. I was a rabid fan, as a school boy. But times have changed, and today's Patriots are a lot more like the Browns of old than today's Browns.

In fact, the similarities are quite striking:

1. A tough, uncommunicative coach, who was clearly a genius
2. One the greatest quarterbacks of all time
3. High intelligence on both sides of the ball
4. Terrific pass receivers (Mac Speedie and Dante Lavelli were great, but I think Moss is better.)
5. An excellent ground game (although Marion Motley was more of a bruiser than Lawrence Maroney)
6. A truly rabid fan base
7. A chip on the shoulder of the whole team, having come from the often-belittled AAC and being doubted by the big boys in the NFL.

Of course, the most important similarity is that for 10 years or so, they always won or were at least in the running. They were feared, and with good reason.

Err... If the browns have 27 NE's offense wont be going into clock kill mode in the second half and they'll end up with a bit more then 34. All 4 of NE's games could have been slaughters if BB felt like it.

How's Willie doing for the browns? I used to love that guy. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye