PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns hire Mangini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the Browns seem to be obsessed with Pats defensive coordinators.

I don't think it's a smart move for either the Browns on Mangini, honestly. He's a pretty smart guy and has some coaching chops, but was in over his head with the Jets. A lot of guys are in their first coaching gig. The best thing to do after you fail is to step back a bit, regroup, be a coordinator again for a couple seasons. He's diving right back into it, and unless he's a very quick learner, he's likely to make the same mistakes all over again (although I THINK he'll have a good QB there with Quinn, which should help.)

I bought into Mangini's program evidently Lerner did to.

Mangini has left the Jets in better shape then when he found them.

I wonder how much money Eric has made since he left the Pats?
I know it is a lot of money, seems like a good decision after all, leaving the Pats.

I know it is a lot of money, seems like a good decision after all, leaving the Pats.

It was a good decision for him personally but I'm sure you can understand why Pats fans are prone to rip the guy.

THe question is, What is left to pick off the JEST carcass ala' Welker and Morris from Miami.

I don't think you can say that Mangini did much to change the Jets. They brought in some high-priced players and missed the playoffs.

Obviously Mangini made more money as a head coach--another head coaching position awaited him in the future (obviously; he already has one) and I suspect a better one.

You've got too many posts on a Pats message board, by the way.

Do you think BB gets pissed that these youg guys get HC gigs without paying their dues like he and the older breed did?

Do you think BB gets pissed that these youg guys get HC gigs without paying their dues like he and the older breed did?

You know it's probably easier for these young guys to get a job these days, it's also allot easier to get fired. So I'd say 'it is what it is'.

No, because they just make his current job easier.

You look at BB and the resume he compiled with the Lions, Colts, Giants. It took him what, 20 plus years to get an HC job. Then when he got fired it was another 8 years before he got a sniff.

Are the Jets really in better shape now than three years ago? Who is the QB for the Jets in 2009? Going into the 2006 season, Pennington looked better than anyone who may be available in 2009. How much longer does Thomas Jones have? The guy is going to be 31 at the start of next season and that RB age wall hits fast and hard. The Jets are way over the cap with a potential first round bust who might actually be one of the biggest of all time. Faneca, Pace, and Woody have proven to be overpaid and not nearly as good as expected. Kris Jenkins proved that he still has a conditioning problem and by his own admission petered off by the end of the season.

The Jets' window seems to have shut without even opening all the way. They are in cap trouble just like they were when Mangini got there and they have no clue who will be their QB of today or the future. Exactly how are they in better shape?

Sorry, Mangini tried to force players to play his style of football even if they didn't have the skill set (see Vilma, Gholston, Robertson, etc.). He had poor clock management. He made poor strategic decisions. He played not to lose A LOT.

Mangini may have had a lot of personal financial success, but I think he helped to set the Jets back and I doubt he will have any more success in Cleveland because they have less talent than the Jets have had the last three years.

Even before Mangini was hired, Browns ownership was said to give Crennel a chance to stay on board as an assistant. Now that Mangini's been hired, there's speculation that Mangini will keep Crennel as his DC.

Mangini is also said to make Brian Daboll the OC position. If you guys remember, Daboll was with the Pats and it was between him and McDaniels that was going to take over the OC when Charlie left. Daboll then was hired away from the Pats when his contract expired to be the Jet's QB coach.

AFC North is definitely a tough division. Steelers have a great program going. **** Lebeau's not going anywhere so Pitt's defense will always be one of the top. They also have a franchise QB who is one of the best in the game. Baltimore is another great program with Newsome always drafting well. They also have found their QB and their coach looks like he knows what they're doing. The Bengals have some talent, but looks like a mess from the outside. Who knows what's going on over there. Eric's gonna have a tough time, but I think he'll do well.

Did you read the the ESPN article?

It says that Mangini has decided on Ryan as his DC and that he and Romeo decided it was best to go in a different direction.

For the position of defensive coordinator, sources told Smith that Mangini will bring aboard Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, whose contract with Oakland also is up. Sources also said that Mangini and Crennel discussed the possibility of Crennel returning to work with Mangini but decided it best to both go in a different direction.

Mangini will hire Jets quarterbacks coach Brian Daboll, whose contract is expiring, as his offensive coordinator, league sources told Smith.

Boy - it's never a good thing when posters on national message boards are offering Browns fans their condolences.

But you have to give Lerner credit. Season ticket sales are going through the roof. The only thing... all the new ticket holders have western Pennsylvania zip codes.

It says that Mangini has decided on Ryan as his DC and that he and Romeo decided it was best to go in a different direction.

I wonder if Crennel decided although he likes Mangini not to betray his friend Belichick by working for the guy who stabbed him in the back. If that is the reasoning, I have more respect for Crennel.

Tubby rat fink needs to make is own friends. Im sure the rotund one calls Urban myer and Saben for info as well.

You mean you bought into BB's program which Mangini tries to pass off as his own. Mangini is a fraud and a phony. He's lucky that he's the son-in-law of sports agent Ronald Shapiro who always pumps him up to all his connections. Eric Mangini's wife and he are all set money wise whether he stayed with the Pats or not. He is set for life whether he stayed or left the Pats.

Last edited:
I wonder if Crennel decided although he likes Mangini not to betray his friend Belichick by working for the guy who stabbed him in the back. If that is the reasoning, I have more respect for Crennel.

Either that or deciding to not be another Dave Campo and stay with the team that fired you. I mean if you get fired as a teacher would you saty with the school asthe janitor? From all reports a lot of they players tuned him out at seasons end. If they do that to him as an HC what do they do to him as D coord??

It was a good decision for him personally but I'm sure you can understand why Pats fans are prone to rip the guy.

Yes.

I don't think you can say that Mangini did much to change the Jets. They brought in some high-priced players and missed the playoffs.

He got rid of the Tampa 2 that herm ran and brought in the 3/4, I likey.

Obviously Mangini made more money as a head coach--another head coaching position awaited him in the future (obviously; he already has one) and I suspect a better one.

You've got too many posts on a Pats message board, by the way.

I like it here. It helps feed my obsesion with all things Patriot.

Are the Jets really in better shape now than three years ago? Who is the QB for the Jets in 2009? Going into the 2006 season, Pennington looked better than anyone who may be available in 2009. How much longer does Thomas Jones have? The guy is going to be 31 at the start of next season and that RB age wall hits fast and hard. The Jets are way over the cap with a potential first round bust who might actually be one of the biggest of all time. Faneca, Pace, and Woody have proven to be overpaid and not nearly as good as expected. Kris Jenkins proved that he still has a conditioning problem and by his own admission petered off by the end of the season.

The Jets' window seems to have shut without even opening all the way. They are in cap trouble just like they were when Mangini got there and they have no clue who will be their QB of today or the future. Exactly how are they in better shape?

Sorry, Mangini tried to force players to play his style of football even if they didn't have the skill set (see Vilma, Gholston, Robertson, etc.). He had poor clock management. He made poor strategic decisions. He played not to lose A LOT.

Mangini may have had a lot of personal financial success, but I think he helped to set the Jets back and I doubt he will have any more success in Cleveland because they have less talent than the Jets have had the last three years.

7 Pro Bowlers

You mean you bought into BB's program which Mangini tries to pass off as his own. Mangini is a fraud and a phony. He's lucky that he's the son-in-law of sports agent Ronald Shapiro who always pumps him up to all his connections. Eric Mangini's wife and he are all set money wise whether he stayed with the Pats or not. He is set for life whether he stayed or left the Pats.

Yes.

A lot of mangini's failures in nyc because of his game management . but i think a lot of it is also due to the power struggle and pressure of playing in nyc. i think he can only improve in cleveland esp if quinn can be decent which remains to be seen. But he has a possible franchise QB he can build a team around. nyc was too much for him and he was constantly under BB's shadow wrt performance.
His major problem is that the AFC north has 3 established franchise QB's now with flacco coming on so Quinn better turn out good.
As far as the jets go, they really did mangini a favor.If he had stayed and favre came back it wouldve been a disaster. if favre didnt come back,it wouldve been a clemens and ratliff show with mangini's last yr on the contract . So essentially they released him earlier of the agony and let me start a fresh.

7 Pro Bowlers

LOL! Yeah, because Brett Favre deserved his Pro Bowl selection. Faneca got there on reputation more than production. Revis got in eventhough the Jets had one of the worst pass defenses in the league. Jones deserved his Pro Bowl berth, but at age 31 at the start of next season he could start falling apart as soon as September in 2009. Leon Washington is a free agent after next season and could bolt. Kris Jenkins proved that he doesn't have the conditioning to play at a high level an entire season. Three of the seven are on the tail end of their careers if not just about over (Favre, Jones, and Faneca).

Good luck with your popularity contest winners though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back