PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos not ruling Welker (concussion) out for Thursday; writer asks Wes to retire

Re: Broncos not ruling Welker (concussion) out for Thursday; writer asks Wes to retir

I believe there are safer concussion protective helmets out there like DeSean Jackson and Aaron Rodgers use but, they aren't required. They should require all players to wear them.

Re: Broncos not ruling Welker (concussion) out for Thursday; writer asks Wes to retir

You can't stop the brain to hit the skull when you have motion and sudden stop.

Soft shells instead of hard plastic on the exterior of both the tackler and tacklee (is that a word?) would slow down the change of direction.

Soft shells instead of hard plastic on the exterior of both the tackler and tacklee (is that a word?) would slow down the change of direction.

Soft shells are delicious,

sandwich.jpg

but I don't really see how they'll do anything to lessen concussions.

Soft shells are delicious,

sandwich.jpg

but I don't really see how they'll do anything to lessen concussions.

I don't know about you, but if I was playing against a guy wearing a helmet made of crabs not only would I not aim for his head, but I probably wouldn't go anywhere near the guy!

Any exterior soft coating will have to be slippery as hell. If not, then any glancing blow will produce literally neck-breaking torque. The exterior surfaces can't have any "grab" at all.

Welker was a free agent when she gave him the advice, I have absolutely no doubt she was sincere in giving him that advice, and overall i think she is one of the best sportswriters I have come across, and I have never smelled any agenda stink from her at all, and that is a rare attribute among the media. Most of them have axes to grind and don't ever waste the opportunity to grind them, that's why guys like Borges and Shaunessy are so worthless despite their ability to write.

No agenda? Asante Samuel and his tatoo say hello.

The players know it, it is inherent in the job. Just as fireman, police, oil workers, soldiers, and all manner of other jobs have inherent risk.

Football is a GAME.

The "job" doesn't ensure human survival.

Welker was a free agent when she gave him the advice, I have absolutely no doubt she was sincere in giving him that advice, and overall i think she is one of the best sportswriters I have come across, and I have never smelled any agenda stink from her at all, and that is a rare attribute among the media. Most of them have axes to grind and don't ever waste the opportunity to grind them, that's why guys like Borges and Shaunessy are so worthless despite their ability to write.
I think Jackie MacMullen is a fine writer and she is extremely well-regarded by her peers and others. I also think she has an anti-Patriots/BB agenda and I base that upon a snarkiness (not even sure that's a word) I've seen her exhibit regularly when discussing the team which is noticeably absent when she speaks on other topics. Because it's so starkly different from her usual stances, it's all the more vivid, at least to me.

Is there any reason why the league shouldn't just universally adopt the Mark Kelso helmet?

pg2_g_mkelso1_576.jpg

I know it looks stupid, and I'm no expert in this stuff, but that seems like a pretty simple step in the right direction.

Football is a GAME.

The "job" doesn't ensure human survival.

I have never heard anybody put it this way before but that is an excellent point. You win. :D

I don't remember the exact amount but I remember reading somewhere that WW has had I think 8 concussions in his career but I don't remember him ever having one while he was with the Patriots. Did he just not have any concussions while he was with the Pats or did the Pats not report them to the league or something?

I find that hard to believe because of how strict the NFL is with those kind of things but it makes me wonder why I never heard of him having any concussions while he was here. I guess it just kind of worries me that this could come back to bite the Pats in the ***** somehow for not listing it on the injury report or something silly like that. Especially since BB has had his injury reports questioned in the past and since good ol' Roger seems to love picking on the Patriots. I think Joker can attest to that last part. :D

I remember when I first wondered about Welker's long term health. It was the 2008 game against the Steelers. I was in the seats when Clark leveled him over the middle. You could hear the helmet contact clearly...it was brutal.

By 2011, I would tell my wife that Welker had better watch it or he'll wind up like Eric Lindros (best comparison I had at the time), drooling on the couch, unable to remember his name.

Sad to see this...

I don't remember the exact amount but I remember reading somewhere that WW has had I think 8 concussions in his career but I don't remember him ever having one while he was with the Patriots. Did he just not have any concussions while he was with the Pats or did the Pats not report them to the league or something?
I think one certainly happened was the 2010 Jets game. He got his bell rung big time in that game.

Is there any reason why the league shouldn't just universally adopt the Mark Kelso helmet?

pg2_g_mkelso1_576.jpg

I know it looks stupid, and I'm no expert in this stuff, but that seems like a pretty simple step in the right direction.

It's not about size, it's about motion reduction and resultant energy. I'm pretty sure the current helmets do not allow a single scratch on the head/forehead surface.

Also, this helmet you posted, I'm not a doctor or physician or anything but it seems to me that would transfer much of the impact to the cervical spine.

a concussion doesn't necessary present that way. Nor does it present that way immediately. So, you often have players who can pass the test right after a hit, but then develop symptoms that make it clear they are concussed.

In High School, playing center field, I ran, head to head, into the right fielder,knocking him out. He was out for the count and after the play carried to the sidelines (can't recall if I even know how long he was out).

I jumped up and threw the runner out at 2nd who tried to take the extra base on the collision.

That was the 2nd out, I believe, and after the 3rd ( which did not involve me) I came to the bench where I was asked innumerable times if I was ok, to which I, although a bit dizzy, said yes.

By chance, I was first to bat that inning and went to the plate. Things began to get a bit blurry, but I drew 4 straight balls and then ran down to first.

That's all I remember until I awoke to the sounds of snare and base drums,. as I had been brought the locker room and the school band was practicing outside ( I think my coach may not have liked me).

The total time between impact and me blacking out had to be 15-20 minutes, and during that time I was capable of comprehending the situation on the field, accurately throwing a baseball 30 yards, standing in the field for an at bat, walking to the bench, talking to 4-5-6 people, getting a bat and helmet, maintaining my batting stance for 4 pitches, and then trotting to first.

In High School, playing center field, I ran, head to head, into the right fielder,knocking him out. He was out for the count and after the play carried to the sidelines (can't recall if I even know how long he was out).

I jumped up and threw the runner out at 2nd who tried to take the extra base on the collision.

That was the 2nd out, I believe, and after the 3rd ( which did not involve me) I came to the bench where I was asked innumerable times if I was ok, to which I, although a bit dizzy, said yes.

By chance, I was first to bat that inning and went to the plate. Things began to get a bit blurry, but I drew 4 straight balls and then ran down to first.

That's all I remember until I awoke to the sounds of snare and base drums,. as I had been brought the locker room and the school band was practicing outside ( I think my coach may not have liked me).

The total time between impact and me blacking out had to be 15-20 minutes, and during that time I was capable of standing in the field for an at bat, walking to the bench, talking to 4-5-6 people, getting a bat and helmet, maintaining my batting stance for 4 pitches, and then trotting to first.

Did you get picked off, or did you collapse right on 1st base?

Look how badly Manning left Welker out to dry...

welker2.gif

Did you get picked off, or did you collapse right on 1st base?

collapsed.

Broncos not ruling Welker (concussion) out for Thursday; writer asks Wes to r...

Look how badly Manning left Welker out to dry...

welker2.gif

Is it me or does it look like welker just dropped the ball before getting hit?

The total time between impact and me blacking out had to be 15-20 minutes, and during that time I was capable of comprehending the situation on the field, accurately throwing a baseball 30 yards, standing in the field for an at bat, walking to the bench, talking to 4-5-6 people, getting a bat and helmet, maintaining my batting stance for 4 pitches, and then trotting to first.

The exact same thing happened to me in 8th grade. Hit my head, I remember a minute after that then maybe 20 minutes later I find myself at my desk in my next class with no memory of the last 20 minutes. I got to class, sat in my chair, the teacher didn't notice but it might have as well been teleportation between those two points in time.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back