PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brightest spot tonight? LBs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woods was playing with the first team defense and was getting a good rush then and kept with it for the rest of the game. The Ravens offensive line is/was playing a lot of backups but I thought Woods had a great game.

Crable's INT was a nice play on a terrible decision (and throw) by Boller. He was also quick off the line, had some decent pass rush moves and looks to have good length. Watching once, he didn't suck in the running game, either.

They both look fast when rushing the passer.

The Crab set the edge a couple times and I also saw him slant in and tackle the RB behind/at the LOS. Played a fantastic game. at camp he always put pressure on the QB but the knock was his run D. Kid's a work in progress but a keeper on the 53.

Last edited:
Don't forget Guyton. Somehow he ran Figurs down from behind and forced him out at the 2. That's mindboggling.

Good catch,I had a Ben Watson flashback when I saw that

They need to make it simpler for him, I think. A few screens, some streaks and post patterns. Let him build up his confidence. However that isn't going to happen with Cassel behind center.

I agree sadly. You would think CJax would have caught on by now especially since he's been holding a play book for a few years now. He should be done learning this offense. He needs to just get on the field and execute.

imo, he believes his physical ability will accelerate him instead of his understanding of the system. Dare I say it, how BJ was.
Yes you can run fast, but get in the right spot at the right time and you will get the ball. How do you think Brady made Givens, Caldwell, Gaffney, etc look like legitimate WRs.

Don't forget Guyton. Somehow he ran Figurs down from behind and forced him out at the 2. That's mindboggling.

That was a good play. Seems like an easy pick for a ST spot. But why do they have him playing ILB? With his speed and length I would think he would make a better OLB like he did in college

The OL was brutal, I was shocked at the cushion Fernando was giving those wideouts, you could have landed the Hood blimp inside those cushions, I was shocked after the great camp he's had. I thought Wheatley was pretty solid. And Brandon looked good late.

Thanks and ouch.

Don't forget these 40-yard dash times from the Combine:

LINEBACKERS
Name Time
Guyton, Gary 4.47
Woodyard, Wesley 4.51
Mayo, Jerod 4.54
Keglar, Stanford 4.58
Goff, Jonathan 4.63
Hayes, Geno 4.64
Gooden, Tavares 4.65
Octavien, Steve 4.67
Kehl, Bryan 4.68
Adibi, Xavier 4.69

QUARTERBACKS
Name Time
Johnson, Josh 4.55
O'Connell, Kevin 4.61
Morris, Bernard 4.68
Tafralis, Adam 4.78
Flynn, Matt 4.79
Booty, John David 4.82
Brohm, Brian 4.83
Wright, Kyle 4.85

I watched the first hour of the game while working out and only half paid attention but Mayo looked like a beast of a tackler and always seemed to be around the ball.

That was a good play. Seems like an easy pick for a ST spot. But why do they have him playing ILB? With his speed and length I would think he would make a better OLB like he did in college

I don't think that Guyton has the height to be an OLB for the NEP. And although he & Crable are about the same weight, Guyton is probably at his limit, whereas Crable should be able to gain another dozen pounds within 2 years, and keep them on him within 3.

BTW, I've read Guyton's height listed anywhere from 6'1" to 6'3". So what is it?

As soon as Belichick and Pioli deemed Mayo to be worthy of a top 10 pick, I considered him to be can't miss or damn near it; so his big camp and big 1st half tonight weren't exactly unexpected to me. I'd be very surprised if this kid didn't end up being an absolute stud. He's the total package: size, speed, smarts, the ability to drop back into coverage. DROY, mark it down.

Crable was a huge bright spot and a bit of a surprise for me. He's been getting some hype on this board, but fans often get over excited about young players so I didn't know what to expect really. He was great and as good as the recent hype suggested, if not better.

I must admit I was worried how Belichick would rebuild the LB's. He successfully rebuilt the DL then the OL all the while winning a few Super Bowl's. Staying at the top and rebuilding the LB core will be Belichick's greatest sleight of hand ... and so far ... he's dealt himself a decent hand.

I must admit I was worried how Belichick would rebuild the LB's. He successfully rebuilt the DL then the OL all the while winning a few Super Bowl's. Staying at the top and rebuilding the LB core will be Belichick's greatest sleight of hand ... and so far ... he's dealt himself a decent hand.

Woods, Mayo & Crable played a lot tonight.

They are not our starters.

Looks good.

Looks good.

The "they are not our starters" is a real strong statement. We've been lucky to have healthy LB's in recent years but we were always thin behind the starters. I would rather see these kids any game of the week over guys that can't tackle sitting the bench waiting for their turn while we all held our breathe.

Looks good.

Mayo might be, the way he played. Especially since Hobson can't seem to grasp the defense. If he keeps showing like he has, he's going to go the Mankins route and start sixteen as a rookie.

The most impressive play I saw by the rookie crop was from Crable though. There was a play earlier on, right after Troy Smith came in for the Ravens, where Smith dropped back, Crable came on the rush at the far hash, pushed the OT 2 yards into the backfield, Smith switched to look at near side of the field, at which point Crable avoided the OT grabbing him and pushed him off another yard, and started sprinting back across the field to the receiver Smith was looking at. By the time the ball fell incomplete, Crable was on the opposite hash already, and would have been in front of the receiver. That sort of range, combined with his size, and his ability to read the situation were all very impressive.

Agreed. All the new young guys looked good. I sort of missed the very beginning of the game (kids running around, etc.). Did Hobson play?

Hobson doesn't play at the "very beginning" of games. He $uck$.

I don't think that Guyton has the height to be an OLB for the NEP. And although he & Crable are about the same weight, Guyton is probably at his limit, whereas Crable should be able to gain another dozen pounds within 2 years, and keep them on him within 3.

BTW, I've read Guyton's height listed anywhere from 6'1" to 6'3". So what is it?
Patriots.com roster has Guyton at 6'3" 242, same height as TBC and 8 lbs off what would be his minimum desired weight. I'll see the game tomorrow on NFLN and make my own opinion, but Guyton from the beginning (rookie camp) has been working both inside and outside. I note BB's follow-up with the media today got him a positive mention.

The "they are not our starters" is a real strong statement. We've been lucky to have healthy LB's in recent years but we were always thin behind the starters. I would rather see these kids any game of the week over guys that can't tackle sitting the bench waiting for their turn while we all held our breathe.

Well yesterday most believed that Thomas, Vrabel, Hobson and Bruschi were our starting LB's.

Thats what I mean when I say Mayo, Woods and Crable are not our starters.

Patriots.com roster has Guyton at 6'3" 242, same height as TBC and 8 lbs off what would be his minimum desired weight. I'll see the game tomorrow on NFLN and make my own opinion, but Guyton from the beginning (rookie camp) has been working both inside and outside. I note BB's follow-up with the media today got him a positive mention.

I'll be watching the game on the NFLN, also; I doubt that I'll be able to eyeball his height accurately, though, unless he stands next to someone whose height is more clearly defined.

I still don't see him as a predominately Outside guy, anyway.

Last year, concerned about our aged LB corps I was wicked pissed when BB cut rookie OLB Justin Rogers and he got scooped up by Dallas instead of making it to the PS. No longer. At least 3 guys this year look far better than Rogers did...Mayo, The Crab & Guyton, and possibly Redd as well. If Woods as a 3rd year player continues to play at OLB well, it's a surplus of riches. Then again, it's only Game 1 of pre-season.

Last year, concerned about our aged LB corps I was wicked pissed when BB cut rookie OLB Justin Rogers and he got scooped up by Dallas instead of making it to the PS. No longer. At least 3 guys this year look far better than Rogers did...Mayo, The Crab & Guyton, and possibly Redd as well. If Woods as a 3rd year player continues to play at OLB well, it's a surplus of riches. Then again, it's only Game 1 of pre-season.

I'm excited like you are about our young linebacking corps. Mayo
will start and Crable should contribute as a pass rusher. Guyton
showed how fast he is by running down the return man and Redd
did not look out of place when he played. Pierre Woods also had a
good performance.

Now, Bill Belichick has to make some roster space to retain them.
None of these guys, except possibly Rudd, will survive the waiver
wire. Bruschi's career is winding down to a close. Mike Vrabel is
33 years old. Izzo is 34 and special teams only. Alexander is not
an adequate backup. If the Pats keep 10 linebackers this year
they would address their linebacking situation for years to come.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand