PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bright spots on a dark night in Tampa - Welker, Mayo and Gostkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
After seeing the drubbing the team took tonight I could see a bit of concern with some fans even though its preseason but among the darkness that befell our team comes the brightness the following players brought to my eyes

Wes Welker - Looks as if he never left the field from last season - He was crisp on his routes,perfect in catching the ball and eluded the first tackler almost every time with his speed - He even made a poor QB in Cassel look good on a few throws and even though I did not check the stats I bet Welker was the majority of Cassel's passing yardage - Wes will surely be another handful to those opposing middle linebackers and secondary players again this season.

Stephen Gostkowski - The field goal he made was perfect and he looks better each year,I expect a very good year from Steven in 2008 and hope that Belichick gives the kid some confidence by letting him kick a few more long tries this year which he has not really had to do in the past since so many times they gambled and went for it on 4th and long - I think he will make most of his long tries this year.

Jarod Mayo - Is this guy really a rookie? - He looked more like Bruschi in Tedy's glory years and reminded me of Merriman as a rookie in SD.

Jarod seemed to be everywhere making plays and assisting on tackles and really has a nose for the ball,This guy is the perfect replacement for #54 at the ILB when Tedy retires - Hobson may be on the outside looking in for starting position at ILB because I see no reason why this young talent is not a starting LB next to Bruschi in week 1,Hobson may be cut or a backup to these 2 guys or used on STs but no way is he going to start over Mayo IMO

Even though its only preseason and Mayo has yet to face the complete offense of a pro team I think he is going to be a superb LB on this team and right up there on tackles when all is said and done in 2008,although I think we can all expect a few blunders on assignments during the game that all rookies are certain to do

Thats about it for all the bright spots in a dark night for the Patriots but there is definately something to look at in a positive light with those 3 guys.

Last edited:
Re: Bright spots on a dark night in Tampa - Welker,Mayo and Gostkowski

Hanson looked good. CJ Jones flashed some. As did Crable.

Hanson looked good. CJ Jones flashed some. As did Crable.

I think Jones has only 1 catch,Correct?

Yes,Hanson was pretty good tonight but he is forever known as being up and down so I hold judgement on him for a few weeks

Crable did look decent on a few plays and especially the strip sack but he was also pushed around a bit by the Bucs tackles - He is a rookie so that can be expected I guess

I think Jones has only 1 catch,Correct?
Yeah but he always flashes to me, last preseason, last week and his catch tonight - I know he made some bad, bad mistakes last week but he also flashed some ability.

Yeah but he always flashes to me, last preseason, last week and his catch tonight - I know he made some bad, bad mistakes last week but he also flashed some ability.

So did a guy I liked when he was here who was similar to CJ

Can you say Bam Childress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back