PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Robison at OLB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
6-3 275lbs. ran a 4.66 40 and had a 40" vertical. He has been very good in all the drills so far today at the combine. I don't really know much about him, but he sure looks athletic and wonder if he could transition to outside linebacker. The NFL network crew is all over this guy.

Other notes:
Anthony Spencer ran well with a 4.76 but seems to have struggled a little bit in some of the drills so far. Not sure what to take from that. Mayock says he is a great pass rusher but not sure if he could transition into coverage. FWIW

6-3 275lbs. ran a 4.66 40 and had a 40" vertical. He has been very good in all the drills so far today at the combine. I don't really know much about him, but he sure looks athletic and wonder if he could transition to outside linebacker. The NFL network crew is all over this guy.

Other notes:
Anthony Spencer ran well with a 4.76 but seems to have struggled a little bit in some of the drills so far. Not sure what to take from that. Mayock says he is a great pass rusher but not sure if he could transition into coverage. FWIW
I briefly considered Spencer for OLB, he won't make my list.

Robison and Moore look the smoothest in drills, both come from good programs.

I briefly considered Spencer for OLB, he won't make my list.

Robison and Moore look the smoothest in drills, both come from good programs.

Moore ran a 4.97 .. hes not anything near an OLB

Robinson is not as fast on the field as he times..thats the reason he isnt considered an OLB..its been noted by scouts he'll impress with workouts but not nearly as fast on field

just because spencer ran a 4.73 doesnt mean bad things..Shaun Phillips and Colvin ran 4.8-4.9..so yeah howd that turn out?

Quentin Moses had a 4.8
Jarvis Moss - 4.68
Abiamiri - 4.8

not as talented now was Ware/Merriman but i still believe few of these guys will make good LBs

I like Mayock's characterization of "run and chase" linebackers. He was pointing out that Rufus Alexander was one of these guys who do a great job, but only if nobody blocks them.

I like Mayock's characterization of "run and chase" linebackers. He was pointing out that Rufus Alexander was one of these guys who do a great job, but only if nobody blocks them.

well hes like 228 pounds :\

hes a Cover 2 guy

our boy DeOssie - 4.53!!

Last edited:
Moore ran a 4.97 .. hes not anything near an OLB

Robinson is not as fast on the field as he times..thats the reason he isnt considered an OLB..its been noted by scouts he'll impress with workouts but not nearly as fast on field

just because spencer ran a 4.73 doesnt mean bad things..Shaun Phillips and Colvin ran 4.8-4.9..so yeah howd that turn out?

Quentin Moses had a 4.8
Jarvis Moss - 4.68
Abiamiri - 4.8

not as talented now was Ware/Merriman but i still believe few of these guys will make good LBs
I have no doubt some of there guys work out better than they play, that's why I'll be reading about them and checking their production in comparison to players who have done well in transition. What were Moore's splits and how did his 40 compare to McGinest who is the former Pats' LB closest to his weight? Is getting a conversion project in the first round who runs a better 40 the best value, or does taking a slower player later give you 90% of the talent at better value? Lot's of trade-offs to consider.

Last edited:
David Harris - 4.53

well hes like 228 pounds :\

hes a Cover 2 guy

our boy DeOssie - 4.53!!
Yes, and he's been mentioned in this forum by people who are interested in him for the Pats. Zac looked good with the speed, if the rest of his numbers look as good and he drills well he's sneeking into the first day.

Yeah, that is just a GREAT quote.

someone noted he loosk like Urlacher at the combine :p

David Harris - 4.53

Wow. Sounds like this guy has the speed to go sideline to sideline and run with RBs and TEs in coverage. I'm getting excited. I think one or more ILBs in this draft (Willis, Harris, DeOssie, Bradley) will be future Patriots.

"DeOssie looks like Uralcher" --- few members @ another board

Ok, thanks!

So...we know that BB's philosophy is to never fall in love with any one player in the draft. But IF they like DeOssie's game, imagine the pull of the ballboy-turned-player scenario. Hard to resist.

Vermeil just said Zak is Patriot kind of guy. :)

Zak just ran a 4.56 on 2nd time.

I believe Bradley ran the second time around a 4.73 (or 4.76) can't remember which one.

Mayock is reporting that Robison "can play the game" when you watch him on tape. The kid is sounding better.

Harris ran a 4.57 second time around. :)

Ok, thanks!

So...we know that BB's philosophy is to never fall in love with any one player in the draft. But IF they like DeOssie's game, imagine the pull of the ballboy-turned-player scenario. Hard to resist.

kinda like Larry Fitzgerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference