PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer reports Welker signs tender

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does age impact WR production? (Part II) | The Fantasy Shrink – Free Fantasy Football Expert Analysis and Opinion by John Paulsen

I agree with Ken that the Pats should base contracts on expected future production that factors in age related performance declines and increased injury risks.

That being said I would be disapointed if they can't reach an agreement - it would be nice to see the little guy retire a Patriot.

Well Wes has already debunked this fantasy experts opinion and statistical analysis...more than once. Although even he cautions the data doesn't mean much absent analysis of the individual player's performance, relative durability, etc. Drive might be a mitigator.

I'm good with the tag to be honest. I love Welker but he'll be 32 this time next year and we have a lot of young players who need to be re-signed. I'm not sure I want to put $8M or so a year for, say, three more years into Welker. As awful as it is to say I might let him play this out and put the future money into the youngsters (Chung, Gronk, Hernandez, etc).

Wish they could have gotten it done, but I'm okay with this too. Nobody's burning any bridges here. Both sides seem to want to get a longer term deal done, but they're also being smart about it and the Pats have the luxury of taking their time and seeing how a number of things play out.

About the worst case scenario is they tag Welker again next year, but that's fine as well. Even that wouldn't mean it would be his final season here. So I'm just grateful for the next two years (at the least) that he will still be with the team.

Wes is physically smaller than all of the other great WRs, but his love of the game, his team and teammates, and heart are all of giant proportions. Unless serious medical problems emerge, Wes is going to continue to be a great player for at least the next 4 years. I'm quite surprised how shortchanged he is in here sometimes, as he has done nothing but excel since the day he arrived. Even after completely tearing up his knee, he got back on the field in near record time, and performed quite admirably given the challenges he faced rehabbing and getting fully healthy. Number 83 is quite simply one of the greatest ever Patriots, and will never be replaced as easily as some here are inclined to opine.JMHO

IMO I think Gonzalez was brought in this year to see what he can do in this offense should he remain healthy and a potential replacement in 2013 should things go sour in the Welker talks.

If Welker and the F.O. Can't see eye to eye and Gonzalez has a decent year and a healthy one,we could see a parting of the ways with #83 next year.

Gonzalez is not anywhere near Welker's level,but insurance and a cheaper alternative for the near future IMO.

Last edited:
I just don't think TB will let BB let WW walk. If it ever came down to it, I think Brady would break off a piece of his contract to keep Wes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST