PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Marshall to the Jets

Yeah, the AFC East is starting to wake up. Going to be very competitive this year. Bills are SB contenders (on paper) if they can get a QB. If the Dolphins get Suh their defense is going to be dominant. Tannehill made some strides last season too. Pats can't fall behind, need to re-sign our guys.

Yadda yadaa yadda.

You make it sound as if no other AFC East team ever made a move to pick up Brandon Marshall before.

It's already been done and he didn't make the Dolphins into a winner.

I also remember "game changing pickups" like Santonio Holmes, Mario Williams, Michael Vick, Terrell Owens, Antonio Cromartie, Laron Landry, Mike Wallace..................................

Just when you thought Marshall was finally overcoming his mental issues he falls back in. He'll never get out of this one I'm afraid. :(

His contract is not horrible, but there were not teams lining up to pay Marshall $8 million next year in free agency. Most teams want nothing to do with a wide receiver who leaves town every week on Tuesday during the season to do a TV show. Teams were not throwing draft picks at the Bears to trade for the guy.

I'm glad the Jets got him. I love the circus and, with Rex gone we needed new storylines!

Well, it is safe to assume now that the Jets new management is a case of "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

I don't see that Marshall is a good fit for them. He is a short term solution and they need long term solutions now.

So far, Belichick's counter moves are to not pay Vince's bonus and re-sign LS Tyler Ott.

jets fans saying they have better receivers

gronk > jets wr core

Lol. Nothing like having better receivers and no one who can hit their area code throwing them the ball.

Marshall gets a lot of credit for admitting to his mental issues and being open about them. He also gets a pass for still acting like a cancer and giving up on his team when things aren't going well. I just don't get this move..

When did he give up on his team? From what I understand it's the exact opposite - he blew up in the locker room last year specifically because the rest of his team seemed to have given up. A number of veteran Bears players such as Jared Allen said that he was totally justified in his frustration and expressed similar sentiments

Oh man look another off season where the other AFC East teams are "going big" to take us down. Just like every other off season.

I'll worry about it when one of them finally takes us down. Until that day they can keep fighting for off season division championships.

So far, Belichick's counter moves are to not pay Vince's bonus and re-sign LS Tyler Ott.

So, we dont need to dip into the mysterious free agent headcase pool of ambiguous players to stay competitive. Those teams did. And its all risky and expensive.

Yadda yadaa yadda.

You make it sound as if no other AFC East team ever made a move to pick up Brandon Marshall before.

It's already been done and he didn't make the Dolphins into a winner.

I also remember "game changing pickups" like Santonio Holmes, Mario Williams, Michael Vick, Terrell Owens, Antonio Cromartie, Laron Landry, Mike Wallace..................................

Chicken littles gonna chicken little. This board is going to be insufferable come next week.

Well, it is safe to assume now that the Jets new management is a case of "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

I don't see that Marshall is a good fit for them. He is a short term solution and they need long term solutions now.

Why is it strictly a short term move? He's 30, his contract isn't bad, and if they cut Harvin the net effect is that it actually saves money against the cap and costs them a net of a 5th and 6th instead of a 4th.

There's definitely some risk attached to the trade, but I think it's definitely preferable to rolling with Harvin, if that's the other shoe in this (which is being reported). I don't think this solves all of the Jets' problems or anything, but it doesn't really need to. They have enough cap space that this trade won't prevent them from doing anything that they really need to do.

Very true, and they even let the Broncos sign Talib and haven't done anything in response.

I DON'T CARE, I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!???!

Wait wtf did disagree? I was agreeing with shmessy.

The Jets are a Titans decision to go with Mettenberger away from getting Mariota as their QB.

I don't think Mariota's going to be a good NFL QB, so I wouldn't be unhappy with this.

If Buffalo were to target Suh, that would probably leave them without enough money to pay Dareus when he becomes a UFA after this season. I could definitely see them making that call, figuring that Suh is the better player, but IMO it would be smarter to extend Dareus at a bit of a discount now, if the result is that he--a near-elite DT in his own right--comes significantly cheaper than Suh would as a result.

It would be awfully odd for the Bills to go after Suh when defensive tackle is probably the strongest position on the team. I think Kyle Williams is probably better than Suh, he just doesn't have the name recognition, and Dareus is an excellent player in his own right.

Why is it strictly a short term move? He's 30, his contract isn't bad, and if they cut Harvin the net effect is that it actually saves money against the cap and costs them a net of a 5th and 6th instead of a 4th.

There's definitely some risk attached to the trade, but I think it's definitely preferable to rolling with Harvin, if that's the other shoe in this (which is being reported). I don't think this solves all of the Jets' problems or anything, but it doesn't really need to. They have enough cap space that this trade won't prevent them from doing anything that they really need to do.

It also allows Mac to be more flexible in the draft. We can trade down, take Lae'l Collins or another OT prospect, and take a QB if one of them falls to six.

Already, we are getting the "Pats haven't done anything yet" posts.

Unreal.

I don't think Mariota's going to be a good NFL QB, so I wouldn't be unhappy with this.

He's going to be better than Geno Smith.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back