PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Marshall to the Jets

(If the JEST can find a QB that isn't the worst in the NFL)

1. Pats 12-4 to 14-2
2. Bills 9-7 to 11-5
3. Dolphins 8-8 to 10-6
4. Jets 7-9 to 9-7

Hard to imagine all of those things happening in one season, given that each time plays the others 6 times. Someone has to lose.

Like others, I'm not overly concerned about what happens in March. And I think a tougher division ultimately benefits the Pats.

decker, marshall, with harvin..amaro at TE
not bad if your honest

however, their QB is garbage so it doesnt matter. i hear they will cut harvin anyway, would be nice to pick him up.

Your division rivals are desperately trying to dethrone you. Miami is most likely gonna acquire Suh
The last time this happened it set them back a decade (see trade up for Sanchize and his bloated rookie deal and extension)

Brandon Marshall ensures that he will extend his streak of never playing for a team that made the playoffs.
I don't think that's necessarily the case. They wont this year but if they lockup Revis and find a serviceable QB, they could very well be in contention for the playoffs at some point in the next 2-3 years.

What do the Bills have for cap room? They should be the ones trying to get Suh. That'd be a historically great pass rush if they brought back Hughes too (which I think is in his best interest, might not play well in a different system).

Just keep our boys to negate these signings. Thats all.

It'll be interesting to see what the Jets gave up to get Marshall. I think this could be a really good move for them. They have the cap space to pay a few big FAs, and Chicago wanted to get rid of him badly enough that he shouldn't cost too much.

The Jets still need to figure out what they're going to do at QB and sign some OL help, but it's not like they're hurting for cap space. This doesn't really preclude them from doing anything. Shame for the Jets that this draft class is so shallow at QB, because in a lot of ways they're a QB away from having a pretty solid offense. I assume they're cutting Harvin in order to make the Marshall trade a net positive against the cap, but they can afford to keep him and have a Harvin/Marshall/Decker/Amaro receiving corps. That's one of the best in the league, although it can only do so much for you if your OL sucks.

I don't think you can afford to make too many of these trades--trading away picks for high-priced veterans--without sacrificing your cap integrity, but in the Jets' case Idzik was so effective in cleaning up their cap that they can afford it. This makes it more urgent that they hit on what draft picks they do still have, but it's definitely easier to envision a scenario where they're competitive than it was a few days ago. If I was a Jets fan, I would recognize this trade as something of a risk, since there's some real opportunity cost attached if you get Miami Marshall rather than playing-with-Cutler Marshall. But it's a risk worth taking IMO.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. They wont this year but if they lockup Revis and find a serviceable QB, they could very well be in contention for the playoffs at some point in the next 2-3 years.

Sure, they will get there eventually. But it just may indeed take a 40 year old TB to do so.

The last time the Patriots faced Marshall, he had 3 catches for 35 yards on 10 targets. Plus now, he gets to play with Geno. Forgive me if this move doesn't strike any fear in my heart.

Bills are SB contenders
Bills are SB contenders
Bills are SB contenders
Bills are SB contenders
Bills are SB contenders
Bills are SB contenders

Bills are SB contenders

Yes, IF they can get a QB. Their defense is already elite and figures to see a boost with Ryan running the show. Their offense has an elite RB (McCoy), a possible elite WR (Watkins), a decent #2 WR (Woods), and an OK TE (Chandler). That Bills team has a ton of talent.

Well...it's over folks.

The Jets got mentally unbalanced Marshall with no QB to throw to him....

the Bills got McCoy who is about equal to Spiller at this point in his career...

and one of the most dysfunctional locker rooms in the NFL is getting Suh....

This run has been nice while it lasted.

Now that he's in NYC, being on Inside the NFL should b easier. I'll b curious as to what Bowles has to say about that
I like Marshall, too bad for him and a sad way to end his football career. I'll bet Bowles will go along with his avocation.

So all they need to do is sign a player that is under contract with the Patriots, while all of the other 31 teams have a shot at him, and then get good at the most important and difficult to find position on the field?
Well then they still have to fix OL, RB, LB, and the entire rest of the secondary.

The last time the Patriots faced Marshall, he had 3 catches for 35 yards on 10 targets. Plus now, he gets to play with Geno. Forgive me if this move doesn't strike any fear in my heart.

The Jets are a Titans decision to go with Mettenberger away from getting Mariota as their QB.

they got marshall for a 5th round pick.

What do the Bills have for cap room? They should be the ones trying to get Suh. That'd be a historically great pass rush if they brought back Hughes too (which I think is in his best interest, might not play well in a different system).

I think they have something in the neighborhood of $15-16M when you factor in McCoy's contract, with Hughes being the one major FA that they need to either re-sign or replace. This comes back to why I hated the McCoy trade for them, because that $10M could have been used in a lot of better places. That kind of cap space looks good at first glance, but not when Dareus is a year away from a big extension, Hughes needs to be replaced (or re-signed, but I don't think he's worth it. The fourth guy on that line will always look good playing with their big 3). And especially not when you don't have a QB and need at least 2 more starter-caliber players on your OL.

If their plan is that they're going to draft a QB this year or next and hope that they get premium performance on his rookie deal, then I don't think that's a bad strategy. That's the only way that I could see it making sense for them to keep investing FA money at other positions. Luckily for us (and unfortunately for Jets and Bills fans) this is not a deep QB draft class.

If Buffalo were to target Suh, that would probably leave them without enough money to pay Dareus when he becomes a UFA after this season. I could definitely see them making that call, figuring that Suh is the better player, but IMO it would be smarter to extend Dareus at a bit of a discount now, if the result is that he--a near-elite DT in his own right--comes significantly cheaper than Suh would as a result.

Last edited:

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back