PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Lloyd VERY interested in joining the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the very definition of a no brainer. A guy who knows the system, would mollify the biggest weakness on offense, and who really, really wants to play for your team.

If there's a downside, I'm sure not seeing it.

to see it you must be properly attired, Jack...

ali2.jpg

This is the very definition of a no brainer. A guy who knows the system, would mollify the biggest weakness on offense, and who really, really wants to play for your team.

If there's a downside, I'm sure not seeing it.

Listening to him it sounded as if a deal was pretty much done and they were just waiting for free agency to start to "finalize it." I could be wrong but it certainly sounded like he's coming to NE. If so that would be a great way to open free agency.

I think a wild card is Eddie Royal. The guy has the potential be the next Deion Branch in the Pats' system. He did fairly well in 2010 under McDaniels and also is a returner. Another guy with a very low learning curve for the Pats' offense. If he is signed, Edelman could be cut.

Good thought - I like Royal a lot. And I like the idea of making both Branch and Edelman earn their roster spots next year. Royal could be really good in our system. He looked on the verge of something great after his rookie year and hasn't gotten back to that potential yet. He also is a factor in the return game.

Ted Ginn's eyes and his hands reside in different area codes

I agree he isn't a very good WR, but he would be the sixth option on this offense and he is one hell of a returner. He would have to replace Edelman's production on offense which was non-existent. He would be a big upgrade in special teams.

If the Pats added Royal, Branch would likely be the odd man out.

I don't know, it worked for Chad last season...and we had to actually trade to accommodate his wishes and then we extended him...

Well, I remember Ocho stating his love for the Pats, but not in this way. Anyway, Bedard weighs in with some Twitter lines:

Brandon Lloyd needs to do more interviews. I don't think he's ceded enough leverage to the Patriots yet

At least we know 1 thing for certain about Lloyd: there's no under-the-table agreement with Pats, or the team would have told him to shut up

I don't see Moss coming back.

I think a wild card is Eddie Royal. The guy has the potential be the next Deion Branch in the Pats' system. He did fairly well in 2010 under McDaniels and also is a returner. Another guy with a very low learning curve for the Pats' offense. If he is signed, Edelman could be cut.

For that matter, Ted Ginn Jr. could be a potential target if Belichick is looking to upgrade the return game.

you're all probably right on Moss.....I just miss the fun he brought (i do not miss the drama) and I am reading too much into his recent workout in NO.

Great call on Eddie Royal - I did not even realize he was available and I love the thought or Royal and Lloyd, with Welker & Branch to go with Gronk & hernandez -- WOW!!

As we all know, it is essential that WR's for the Patriots know the system cold, get to the right place at the right time and always adjust properly - that is why losing gaffney was such a blunder because he was all of that and more.

is it rob bomango or robbo mango?

robin+.jpg

Last edited:
I like both of them....

I don't see Moss coming back.

For that matter, Ted Ginn Jr. could be a potential target if Belichick is looking to upgrade the return game.

Edelman has earned his way into all 3 phases of the game, including ST coverage. He isn't just a wr low on the depth chart... he's WAY more valuable of a player than people give him credit for. Once I see Eddie Royal making some tackles, I'll start to give on this idea.

Like another poster said, Branch is the one on the bubble.

I'm just concerned that we are getting older at WR and not younger. All of the developmental WR are gone.

What about

Underwood - gone
Ocho - gone
Branch - Gone

Welker - resign
Lloyd - F/A
Laurent Robinson - F/A 5 year vet may be coming into his own
Draft 2 WR's - for ****s we'll say stephen hill and joe adams
Edleman

LLoyd
Welker
Branch
Underwood
Drafted WR
Edelman ST.
OC

53 ->

Lloyd
Welker
+1 of Branch, Underwood, OC
Drafted WR
Edelman

Patriots have about a 3 year window, I am not concerned about getting old at WR.

Just saw Brandon Lloyd on NFL32.what an impressive guy. Wel spoken and sounds very intelligent. No wonder he and McDaniels worked so well together.

We need to get Lloyd and I think it will happen. Add Mario Williams and we'll be ready to get back to our Super Bowl glory years again.

Heard Lloyd on The Herd this morning on ESPN Radio...

Sounds like he REALLY wants to be playing under McDaniels again and I (as a fan) would love to see him join the Patriots. As great as this offense has been, it is crazy to imagine it can get better.

Lloyd puts this team a notch below the 2007 team... at least on paper, when you consider the two young tight ends and the mismatches they constantly create.

If only the running game would become a viable weapon, this team wouldn't need a dominate, high paid pass rusher like Super Mario.

I see the WR corps as:

Welker
Lloyd
(Former star) -- Winner of a Chad/Deion competition
Edelman
(Some young guy we don't know about yet)
(Emergency) Slater

Edelman is Welker's backup, and has enough other uses to be active on game day, so I doubt he's going anywhere.

There is no way Edelman is going any where. Give the guy a full season on d and I bet he would easily earn his keep. don't even consider him as taking an offensive spot, he is one player filling three spots, and he fills them competently. Did I mention the nasty streak? he isn't exactly role model material but he is a football player, and he hates to lose.

I don't see how the patriots don't sign Lloyd, hopefully nobody throws stupid money at him. That's the only way it doesn't happen from what I can tell. Although I think the resources may be better served on the defense in general or the offensive line.

Ocho/Branch/Underwood/Slater(if secondary gets a serious injection of draft help) are all in some serious trouble if Lloyd comes to town. If BB/McD can hit on a deep threat in the draft then they may all be gone...which reminds me, what is Ocho's cap hit if we do can/trade him? Didn't he just take a pay cut? Surely someone might throw a fifth or sixth our way when he goes off against some scrubs in pre-season.

All this talk of receivers is pointless though. Offense wins games, defense wins championships. Two firsts, again. I would hope we make a move for an impact front seven. Wilford/Mayo are the only real players that I wouldn't say are upgradeable. every position, with the exception of the two mentioned, can, and need to be addressed. who is playing safety if Chung and McC go down? Would it really matter at that point?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Lloyd is coming here...will be very surprised if he isn't in a pats uniform.

Then out of no where...vincent jackson..for dirt cheap!

which reminds me, what is Ocho's cap hit if we do can/trade him? Didn't he just take a pay cut? Surely someone might throw a fifth or sixth our way when he goes off against some scrubs in pre-season.

The Pats would save about $1.5M against the cap by cutting him. If he takes a pay cut of $1.5M (which I'm assuming, since he mentioned $3M on Twitter, and that'd be cutting each of the two $3M salaries in half), then he'd cost the same to keep or to cut, savings of $1.5M compared to right now. If he were to lower his salary to the minimum, he'd actually cost a little more to cut than to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes