Brandon Lloyd VERY interested in joining the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the WR corps as:

Welker
Lloyd
(Former star) -- Winner of a Chad/Deion competition
Edelman
(Some young guy we don't know about yet)
(Emergency) Slater

Edelman is Welker's backup, and has enough other uses to be active on game day, so I doubt he's going anywhere.

Slight Adjustment:
Welker
Lloyd
Chad/Deion/Moss
Edelman

If we keep Chad/Deion we don't need to draft a young wr if Lloyd gets added as the Chad/Deion will provide backup roles to the Welker/Lloyd
If we sign Moss (highly unlikely) that gets rid of the need for Slater (other than as a special teams player).

I would expect Deion's skill level to go down a bit from last year as he's aging, but hopefully that would be made up for by only being in plays in which he's 100% / not tired

I still am holding out hope that McD can get Chad back on track -- either by Chad learning the full playbook instinctively, or by McD giving Chad a simplified route / no options tree and having him perform at a Cleveland like level.

Last edited:
Edelman has earned his way into all 3 phases of the game, including ST coverage. He isn't just a wr low on the depth chart... he's WAY more valuable of a player than people give him credit for. Once I see Eddie Royal making some tackles, I'll start to give on this idea.

Like another poster said, Branch is the one on the bubble.

Right now Edelman has earned his way on defense and special teams, but offense? He has totally regressed on offense. Last year he had 4 catches, for 34 yards for the entire season. In 2010, he has 7 catches for 86 yards. In 2009, he had 37 for 359 yards.

If they want to keep Edelman as a utility player who can play special teams and fill in on packages on defense, then he will stick around. But the guy is useless on offense.

Royal is more talented, knows the system, and has shown he is as good or better of a returner (although Fox diminished his role in that area). If he can be a guy who can get 300-600 yards on offense and be a good returner, I don't care if he can tackle on special teams. They can find someone else to replace Edelman in that area if necessary. Royal is a major upgrade to Edelman on offense and might be an upgrade on returns.

Lloyd,Moss,Ocho,Welker, I'd love to see that combo if Ocho learns the play book ,Moss returns in 07 form , Welker stays Welker. Lloyd helps out with the deep ball.On the flip side we have Gronk and Aaron I honestly couldn't imagine a defensive backfield equipped to stop that squad.

Lloyd,Moss,Ocho,Welker, I'd love to see that combo if Ocho learns the play book ,Moss returns in 07 form , Welker stays Welker. Lloyd helps out with the deep ball.On the flip side we have Gronk and Aaron I honestly couldn't imagine a defensive backfield equipped to stop that squad.

Unless you can find a way to legally strap a rocket to Moss' ass, he's never returning to 2007 form. He's gone from a guy who runs in the 4.2s to a guy who runs in the 4.4s and, for him, that's the difference between beating triple teams and having to work to beat single coverage.

More likely would be unicorns and bunnies

Sprinkle a little of this on Ocho for good measure

large-92082.jpg

Last edited:
Unless you can find a way to legally strap a rocket to Moss' ass, he's never returning to 2007 form. He's gone from a guy who runs in the 4.2s to a guy who runs in the 4.4s and, for him, that's the difference between beating triple teams and having to work to beat single coverage.
Doesn't look like that's legally possibly darn it.

Don't get me wrong I want the guy out of here hes over stayed his welcome I expected him to at least be a factor in some games. But I'll remain hopeful about him.

If they want to keep Edelman as a utility player who can play special teams and fill in on packages on defense, then he will stick around. But the guy is useless on offense.

It's not that Edelman got worse, it's that the receiving talent around him got better.

With all due respect to Edelman:

GRONK -- Hernandez -- Branch -- Welker -- Edelman

One of these things is not like the others, and I can't blame Brady for prioritizing other targets.

Lloyd/Wallace
Welker
Branch
Edelman
Draftee (Adams, Hill?)
Johnson/Underwood/camp competitor

1st Round (Pick 27) (via New Orleans) - Poe/DE/OLB
1st Round (Pick 31) - DE/OLB
2nd Round (Pick 48) (via Oakland) - WR
2nd Round (Pick 63) - OL
3rd Round (Pick 94) - Trade into next year
4th Round (TBD) - Trade down for multiple picks

That works for me. Of course, BB will sign Joe the plumber from the FA ranks, and then draft a QB and a kicker in round 1, and a tight end in round 2, just to piss us all off.

I think it's a perfect match. Make it happen Pats. He should be able to pick up the offense pretty quickly, hopefully he's no Ocho Cinco.

He's already picked up the offense in Denver and St. Louis. It's more of a matter of him being on the same page as Brady when the play breaks down now (assuming we sign him).

Getting Lloyd signed quickly would be a great start to the offseason, a serious need addressed with a pro bowl caliber player right out of the gate. If they can address most of the offensive needs in free agency then they can devote the draft primarily to defense.

this has made the most sense to me all along...guess you and I sorta think alike, Ivan...which may be scary for you, considering MY rep around here...

this has made the most sense to me all along...guess you and I sorta think alike, Ivan...which may be scary for you, considering MY rep around here...

It's always impossible to know how Belichick is going to approach the offseason but my gut has been telling me they are going to be aggressive in this free agent market for some time. Like everyone i hope it's right because I want to see moves that put them over the top, and they have the money, picks, and the talent pool to draw from to make that happen. Although i have serious doubts it wil happen I really hope the people saying they will go after Williams aggressively are right because they need an impact player on that defense. Go Lloyd and Williams as the free agent prizes and then fill in the offense in free agency and defense in the draft.

Christian Fauria weighs in and says "pass":

he is a little up and down, he is hot and cold. And even though he was with Josh McDaniels [in Denver and St. Louis], it wasn't like Tom Brady was throwing him the ball. … Tom is just different. He connects with people differently. I'm not saying that he wouldn't work here, but I think it's one of things where you kind of have to be careful with it. Wheres the value? Can you get the value out of somebody else who doesn't have that question mark -- get the same production out of them? I think the answer's probably yes."

If you had a player with a lot of talent who desperately wanted to win, who wasn't used well, on a bunch of crappy teams, I'd be shocked if he wasn't angry and frustrated.

In terms of talent and scheme fit, Lloyd is far and away the best bet, the fact that he might have been moody in the past is a small risk to take considering what he brings to the table. That said, what better alternative is there?

If you had a player with a lot of talent who desperately wanted to win, who wasn't used well, on a bunch of crappy teams, I'd be shocked if he wasn't angry and frustrated.

In terms of talent and scheme fit, Lloyd is far and away the best bet, the fact that he might have been moody in the past is a small risk to take considering what he brings to the table. That said, what better alternative is there?
Giving up a 1st and a massive contract for Mike Wallace, of course.

I think Fauria was basically saying that Lloyd is unhappy when he doesn't get the ball a lot. With Tom Brady, at least three other players are getting the ball too so there are at least some games where Lloyd might not be getting the ball a lot. If that's an issue with Lloyd then I'd pass on him.

Meachem = cheaper Lloyd and he has experience in a ball spreading offense. He won't complain. With his speed, height and build there is a lot of potential in this kid. Brady could do a lot of things with him.

I think Fauria was basically saying that Lloyd is unhappy when he doesn't get the ball a lot. With Tom Brady, at least three other players are getting the ball too so there are at least some games where Lloyd might not be getting the ball a lot. If that's an issue with Lloyd then I'd pass on him.

Lloyd's been in the "McDaniels' system" for 3 years. If the Patriots sign him, it'll be done while having plenty of information about his temper and tendencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back