PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandin Cooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIpats88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
we have threads for Amendola/Gilmore rightly. but how about brandin cooks? he sneakily had a really good game. 6 catches on 8 targets for 100 yards. and drew two huge pass interference penalties he generated 168 yards total in offense.

and that is against two great corners. with Gronk out when teams would focus more on him. he did drop the deep pass. but other than that I thought he had a hell of a game

we have threads for Amendola/Gilmore rightly. but how about brandin cooks? he sneakily had a really good game. 6 catches on 8 targets for 100 yards. and drew two huge pass interference penalties he generated 168 yards total in offense.

and that is against two great corners. with Gronk out when teams would focus more on him. he did drop the deep pass. but other than that I thought he had a hell of a game

He also did all that against elite corners in Bouye and Ramsey.

I thought he had his best game as a Patriot. He abused Bouye in the second half and was coming back and fighting for the ball throughout the game.

Knowing how Pitt burned them deep last week and having Brady take shots deep, the Jax secondary played soft on Cooks and NE took advantage.
Great job.
I'm still puzzled why NE rarely has Cooks running crossing patterns. Is NE trying to keep the center of the field as open as possible for the Gronk?

Dude balled his ass off and everyone wanted to crucify him for the drop. We lose without him, no one but cooks was getting open, when cooks starting taking attention it opened it up for others. To his credit Danny the man handled business, but cooks set them up for two scores with those penalties, the hate for him here is amusing. He has his struggles but he has been our best wide receiver this season.

Probably should have had another too. There was one when Bouye and I think Ramsey doubled him and Bouye clearly was restricting his arm
Yup

He was valuable out there, for sure. I still wish he'd be willing to lay out for balls, though. That's two long ones in two weeks he would have had a good chance to reel in if he dove for them.

2pom35R

Knowing how Pitt burned them deep last week and having Brady take shots deep, the Jax secondary played soft on Cooks and NE took advantage.
Great job.
I'm still puzzled why NE rarely has Cooks running crossing patterns. Is NE trying to keep the center of the field as open as possible for the Gronk?

and the others.........doing crosses with cooks takes away from his threat which is to stretch the field.....a few of his catches had the CB so far off of him, they had no chance to stop the 1st down on hooks

He played very well. But he also had a big drop that would be remembered as the point where the game slipped away if the team hadn't come back to win it.

IIRC, Gronk also had one that he probably should've caught.

Everybody (except, perhaps, Amendola) has drops and "shouldas" over the course of the season, any one of which could be looked back upon as the "turning point" in a close loss.

Dude balled his ass off and everyone wanted to crucify him for the drop. We lose without him, no one but cooks was getting open, when cooks starting taking attention it opened it up for others. To his credit Danny the man handled business, but cooks set them up for two scores with those penalties, the hate for him here is amusing. He has his struggles but he has been our best wide receiver this season.
Yup. The offense ran through Cooks and Amendola this game. No Gronk, Hogan was ineffective, RB's struggled with their speedy defense.

I wasn't anticipating this to be a Cooks game, given their two all-Pro corners. But Cooks had his way with Bouye. He made some great catches, particularly on the comeback route where he leaped and fought for the ball. The PI's were both legit and there was another one that wasn't called. People don't typically mention that Cooks is great at drawing PI's downfield. It doesn't show up in the stat sheet but those 40-50 yard penalties make a big impact.

Anyone who thinks those PI's were unwarranted is being dishonest.

I think Romo or Nantz mentioned that Cooks earned the 4th-most DPI yards in the league this season (268?). What that means to me is that DBs have difficulty covering him without committing a foul, same as with Gronk. Cooks gets calls that Gronk doesn't because Cooks' is a relatively little guy.

Yup. The offense ran through Cooks and Amendola this game. No Gronk, Hogan was ineffective, RB's struggled with their speedy defense.

I wasn't anticipating this to be a Cooks game, given their two all-Pro corners. But Cooks had his way with Bouye. He made some great catches, particularly on the comeback route where he leaped and fought for the ball. The PI's were both legit and there was another one that wasn't called. People don't typically mention that Cooks is great at drawing PI's downfield. It doesn't show up in the stat sheet but those 40-50 yard penalties make a big impact.

Anyone who thinks those PI's were unwarranted is being dishonest.

that one where he was samwhiched between two guys each guy holding one of his arms, that wasn't called made me really upset.

Yes, Cooks had a huge game, and it was needed.

I mean, no Edelman, no Gronk, we needed Cooks to step up in the worst way.....and he did. I thought his most impressive catch was the heavily contested ball he caught on the comeback route in the fourth quarter.

The book on him is that he needs to use his speed to create space to catch the ball, and that he's not very good when balls are contested.......and that still may be true, but he caught a well-contested ball that I was very impressed with. (I know it's hard to think of this on the spot, but the Jags guy actually could have carried Cooks out of bounds to make it an incompletion.)

He played a real good game. It would have been an epic night if he caught a few of those deep balls. Brady was was throwing the ball with so much precision and the ball was hitting everyone in the hands or the chest. Even when cooks was doubled deep down the middle that ball hit him right in the chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes