Welcome to PatsFans.com

Branch shows up late for Seahawks Mini Camp...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DarrylS, Jun 13, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

This is a strange piece from Sportsline, interesting read for those who want to deify Deion and anoint him as the second coming of Jerry Rice.. why couldn't he do this at another time.. one part of the article says something to the effect that he has been running a mile on the treatmill every day.. great to know he is taking about 5 minutes a day to focus on his football stuff...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10222266

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- When Deion Branch called Mike Holmgren last week to tell the Seahawks coach why he was missing another chance to build much-needed rapport with quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, the first thing Holmgren told his leading receiver was: "Hey, this better be good."

It was.

This time, Branch was delayed because of his wedding, planned long before he arrived in Seattle last September. His arrival then was delayed because of a contract holdout and then trade from the New England Patriots.

Oh, and this time there was also the tropical storm that blew onto the Caribbean island of St. Lucia. Strong winds grounded his scheduled helicopter departure and extended Branch's honeymoon for two days.

"Fun. Hot. And then scary at the end, because I don't like hurricanes," the Georgia native said Monday, laughing as he recalled his honeymoon after finally joining the Seahawks' two-week minicamp a week late.

It wasn't really a hurricane that stranded the former Super Bowl MVP. The Caribbean hasn't had one of those yet this hurricane season.

"It was just bad weather ... a lot of wind," Branch said. "It was just weird."

Branch was greeted by Seahawks trainers telling him it was his day to get tested for body fat. His is usually 6 or 7 percent. Monday it was 10.

"They were just hoping it wasn't 20," Branch said.
  2. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Also in the article....."This is nothing that we just came up with. That's probably why I got away with it," Branch said, chuckling.
    Hasselbeck brought Branch back on task immediately Monday. When Hasselbeck first saw Branch before practice, the quarterback told him in jest: "Thanks for not being here. We had a great week without you."

"Oh, yeah, exactly. I know how important it is for me, not being here last year at this time," Branch said. "The main thing is just hearing the plays from Matt instead of just hearing them from the coaches."

Branch acknowledged he has much to prove this season, but "just to myself."-----
    I think TO the fans and the team that paid you boatloads...When was camp?? Just curious..I know the wedding was memorial Day weekend..
  3. marty

marty Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Not for nothing but honeymoons have been delayed/postponed to later dates for less reasons than career/work issues. I can see the difficulty of changing plans for weddings, but honeymoons can easily be rescheduled to occur in off-season. Surprising, this seemingly cavalier attitude from Branch.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  4. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Great line :D
  5. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Also from the article.....He said with the Patriots, he was constantly changing from strong-side to weak-side or slot receiver, depending on the play. Branch likes that the Seahawks are giving him one position, Jackson's old strong-side job, and keeping him there. He said the Seahawks simply tell him, "'Deion, go do this,"' and let his elusiveness create from there."........ Hmmmm...Not sure if this is a bit of being against the Pats or just his preference or???..not really sure what are the pros or cons are of a receiver being moved about OR having one position....but I found it interesting.
  6. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

A receiver being lined up at only one position makes the offense less dynamic and slightly more predictable.

Personally, it tells me that Branch thinks he knows more than Charlie Weis in terms of running an offense and I am going to look forward to him not being as successful. It also tells me that Branch is somewhat lazy.
  7. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Screw Branch. He didn't want to be here, therefore good riddance.
  8. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0

Disable Jersey

It indicates a laziness in making the mental adjustments and a focus on HIS wellbeing as opposed to doing what best helps the team.
    It is quite clear that the Patriots management/team culture is a very important asset in their success.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  9. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Come on, where's the romance?
  10. DougGabriel2007

DougGabriel2007 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ooh wow he missed mini-camp, what a malcontent. Is it september yet? Can we get to september please....
  11. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Sounds like this is a little dig at "the system". I guess that's why he never cracked a thousand yards. Can you say hello double team...

There are a couple of things guys tend to sense they have gotten when first they leave here - their money (respect) and a less demanding/more accommodating talent based workplace in which to showcase THEMselves. There is another thing they don't get, but they usually don't appreciate or acknowledge that until their new employer begins to sour on them just like he did their predecessor - and/or the guy who hired them - and starts to play the blame game. If Seattle continues to struggle, Holmgren will be off the greener pastures - perhaps to the FO job in Green Bay to finally re-build post Favre. And there will be lots of finger pointing among those left in Seattle in his wake. NE is somewhat unique in it's approach to accountability - it is dispensed broadly from the top down. In most franchises it is administered selectively from the bottom up. Individual are singled out, and players are the first to bear the brunt deservedly or not, followed by coaches and GM's.

When that time comes, suddenly playing in the "system" doesn't seem nearly as unpalatable as it once did.
  12. Born_a_Patriot

Born_a_Patriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Screw Branch. I think that is what the honeymoon was for.:D
  13. belichickaholic

belichickaholic Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I still love Deion, but I hope he gets doubled all year!! Call me crazy, but I blame the whole Deion situation on Mangini. I think he definitely tampered with him. But the NFL is afraid of the friggin arbitrators so they squashed the tampering charges.
  14. 37Harrison

37Harrison Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

Rescheduling a honeymoon REALLY depends on where they went and who they booked the trip with.

I just got back from my honeymoon as well and we too were married on Memorial Day weekend.

We ended up taking one of those all-inclusive trips to Jamaica. We put our applications in for our passport 12 weeks ahaed of time. The problem we ran into wass getting the passports back in time to make the trip. We did end up getting our passports (day of the wedding) but it was extremely stressful. We didn't know if we were going to get our passports on time for our trip so we looked into rescheduling it. We came to find out that the hotel in Jamaica wouldn't refund our money nor the airline. IF our pasports didn't arrive on time we would've been out about $3,000-$4,000 and never made it to Jamaica. So not all honeymoons can be "easily rescheduled" as you say.
  15. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Sure they can...if you have $13.5M worth of the means to. Especially when the reason you need to reschedule is because the guy wo wrote you that check needs to see you for the first time in 4 months.
  16. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

With a name like that you won't get much support.
  17. shakadave

shakadave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

He was late to mini-camp because he was counting his money.
  18. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The guy schedules his marriage and honeymoon so it is over before minicamp. Because of bad weather, he can't get home. What a total non-story.
  19. marty

marty Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

First let me say Congratulations!!!!! Hope your union is a happy and healthy one!
    Secondly......
    What I was trying to say is that weddings are often planned around more wants/needs than the honeymoon, and the date is often set based on when you can get a particular site booked etc. There are just more people involved in the wedding than the honeymoon!:rolleyes: So one would naturally expect that an NFL pro would be able to schedule the whole event during the 4-5 month stretch where he doesn't have to practice with his team. But if the honeymoon was going jam up that close to his required check-in with his job, then perhaps he could have planned to honeymoon during the aforementioned 4-5mo off season?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  20. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Well, a $3,000 to $4,000 buck loss would have stopped me cold. But I didn't receive a check for more than $10 million last year, either.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  21. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I don't care about his wedding.

I do think Mangina screwed it up for us, but hey, if we screwed something up for the Jests everyone here would think that was cool.

Branch can certainly afford to change his plans...obviously felt no real pressing need.

I do resent branch for turning his back on this team, Brady, management - all of it, because he felt he was different and that rookie deals, that he signed, need not be honored by him.

At the end of this deal, however, seems to me the team he left did pretty well with the trade after all and remains in contention to win another superbowl.

Seattle's day has come and gone, enjoy yourself DB - the bloom of off your rose already off out there and you better put up some good numbers or you may find that sweet deal you signed, history.
  22. jbb9s

jbb9s Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Does he hold the record for receptions in a Super Bowl and/or receptions in consecutive Super Bowls?
  23. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I'll say! The guy's stuck on an island with nothing flying. What's he supposed to do, swim to Seattle?

Branch left ugly, but he's always been a hard-working guy.
  24. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

$39M deals change some players.

Strong winds grounded his scheduled helicopter departure and extended Branch's honeymoon for two days.

"Fun. Hot. And then scary at the end, because I don't like hurricanes," the Georgia native said Monday, laughing as he recalled his honeymoon after finally joining the Seahawks' two-week minicamp a week late.

I once worked for a guy who used to tell me I needed to take the train before the train that made me late...

"Branch was greeted by Seahawks trainers telling him it was his day to get tested for body fat. His is usually 6 or 7 percent. Monday it was 10.

"They were just hoping it wasn't 20," Branch said.

"Crazy. First day off my honeymoon, getting back in, they measure my fat," said the 5-foot-9, 193-pound Branch, who claims he ran about a mile a day on a treadmill while on St. Lucia.

Branch is taking Darrell Jackson's place as Hasselbeck's primary target this season. Jackson, who shared a unique, unspoken understanding on the field with Hasselbeck, has been traded to San Francisco largely because the Seahawks are expecting huge production from Branch.

Hasselbeck said last week that one of the reasons he worked so fiendishly to return earlier than the team expected following surgery in January on his non-throwing shoulder was so he could begin to bond with Branch before training camp.

But Branch and his girlfriend of six years, Shola, had scheduled their wedding in Florida for this month way back in May 2006. Branch had plenty of time for planning then. He was beginning a contract holdout with the Patriots.

I know how important it is for me, not being here last year at this time," Branch said. "The main thing is just hearing the plays from Matt instead of just hearing them from the coaches." Talk is cheap, Deion.

Branch acknowledged he has much to prove this season, but "just to myself." LOL

After arriving last September at the price of $39 million over six years plus Seattle's first-round choice in April's draft, Branch caught 53 passes with four touchdowns in 14 regular-season games as part of a crowded receiving corps -- and with a quarterback that for the first time in Branch's career wasn't Tom Brady.

Branch had 78 receptions and five scores, both career highs, during the 2005 season with Brady in New England.

"I felt I had an OK year last year -- given the position I was put in," :eek: he said. "I know I can do a whole lot better, given the offseason workouts with Matt, the familiarity with plays.

"I feel better in this system than I did in New England. It's more pass-oriented."

"My main thing is just to be here, getting the work in that we need. It's a whole lot, once you build that chemistry with your quarterback," Branch said. "That shows a whole lot." :confused:

Which again begs the question, why wasn't he?

Deion's like Happy Gilmore. Perhaps another sub-thousand yard season in the great northwest will finally wipe that disingenuous grin off his face. Not sure if he realizes it but this season, just like our 2006 season, isn't all about just him - Hasselback is trying to rebound from back to back injury plagued seasons with a formerly injury plagued WR corps being reshuffled like the deck chairs on Titanic, and Holmgren likely has one foot out the door if he doesn't and the presidential suite at Lambeau beckons to oversee a rebuild post Favre. A year from now there could be a new HC deciding whose checks he wants ownership to sign and whose ticket out of town gets punched.
  25. kurtinelson

kurtinelson Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Is anyone else kind of puzzled why Seattle traded away Darrell Jackson? They gave up a number 1 pick and are paying Deion 6 million a year, to replace Jackson's production.

Jackson

Code:

Year	G	GS	Rec	Yds	Avg	Lg	TD	20+	40+	1st
    2000	16	9	53	713	13.5	71	6	8	2	31
    2001	16	16	70	1081	15.4	64	8	20	7	44
    2002	13	13	62	877	14.1	48	4	13	2	37
    2003	16	16	68	1137	16.7	80	9	18	4	54
    2004	16	16	87	1199	13.8	56	7	16	2	59
    2005	6	6	38	482	12.7	48	3	4	2	29
    2006	13	13	63	956	15.2	72	10	13	6	44
    TOTAL	96	89	441	6445	14.6	80	47	92	25	298

Branch
    Code:
    Year	G	GS	Rec	Yds	Avg	Lg	TD	20+	40+	1st
    2002	13	7	43	489	11.4	49	2	6	2	22
    2003	15	11	57	803	14.1	66	3	9	2	40
    2004	9	9	35	454	13.0	26	4	6	0	27
    2005	16	15	78	998	12.8	51	5	13	1	51
    2006	14	13	53	725	13.7	38	4	8	0	40
    TOTAL	67	55	266	3469	13.0	66	18	42	5	180

26. PatsFan37

PatsFan37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

Imagine it was Moss instead of Branch and tell me it would be a non-story. They'd be saying, for 3 million dollars (not guaranteed!) he couldn't reschedule his honeymoon? They'd say he wasn't a team-first guy.

Branch put his family first, and I have no problem with that, but at some point you have to understand that when a team gives up so much for you, you have to at least pay lip service to the team. Especially after his disappointing season last year.

Think about this, too: under what circumstances would Welker have missed minicamp? Nothing short of bodily injury.
  27. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Moss would have been eviscerated by both the media and the fans.

If I recall, since we don't see much of them, their "problem" getting over the hump the last few seasons was attributed to inconsistent receivers. That was why they acquired Jurevicious in 2005 and he was their go to guy down the stretch with Jackson apparently injured. It made no sense when they made no effort to retain him for 2006 since he costs relative WR peanuts. Both Branch and Givens had developed quite the reputations as good hands receivers. They showcased Deion shortly after he arrived doing the fish catch thing at the Seattle fishmart. He won. I think they acquired Deion as drop-free insurance in a move they thought would get them over the top. Problem is, **** happens, like your QB getting injured after your all pro LG is swiped via the old poison pill. And your all pro RB develops a bizarre foot crack that won't heal. Then it's on to the next season and it's time to resign players, and you already committed your #1 money to a #2 you acquired in trade....
  28. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Your argument is essentially that since the press has stupid overreactions for non stories with some players they should do so for all players?
  29. PatsFan37

PatsFan37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

When you give up a #1 pick for a WR, pay him millions, and he has a weak season, that's an important story. When he fails to show for minicamp, I don't care what the reason, if the press doesn't comment, they're not doing their job.

Even his QB had something to say. So don't tell me it wasn't a story.

I'm saying Branch is getting more of a pass than Moss would have, because Branch is still on his honeymoon, and I don't mean with his wife.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  30. TealSox

TealSox Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the 1st ROUND PICK!

Can't believe that I thought Deion Branch was anything more than he actually is. And to think, if the Pats paid him, he would likely be pulling the same smack. Wonder what the veterans in the clubhouse feel about this news... the ones that were up in arms about him leaving because he was such a positive leader/character.