PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch shows up late for Seahawks Mini Camp...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care about his wedding.

I do think Mangina screwed it up for us, but hey, if we screwed something up for the Jests everyone here would think that was cool.

Branch can certainly afford to change his plans...obviously felt no real pressing need.

I do resent branch for turning his back on this team, Brady, management - all of it, because he felt he was different and that rookie deals, that he signed, need not be honored by him.

At the end of this deal, however, seems to me the team he left did pretty well with the trade after all and remains in contention to win another superbowl.

Seattle's day has come and gone, enjoy yourself DB - the bloom of off your rose already off out there and you better put up some good numbers or you may find that sweet deal you signed, history.

Does he hold the record for receptions in a Super Bowl and/or receptions in consecutive Super Bowls?

The guy schedules his marriage and honeymoon so it is over before minicamp. Because of bad weather, he can't get home. What a total non-story.

I'll say! The guy's stuck on an island with nothing flying. What's he supposed to do, swim to Seattle?

Branch left ugly, but he's always been a hard-working guy.

I'll say! The guy's stuck on an island with nothing flying. What's he supposed to do, swim to Seattle?

Branch left ugly, but he's always been a hard-working guy.

$39M deals change some players.

Strong winds grounded his scheduled helicopter departure and extended Branch's honeymoon for two days.

"Fun. Hot. And then scary at the end, because I don't like hurricanes," the Georgia native said Monday, laughing as he recalled his honeymoon after finally joining the Seahawks' two-week minicamp a week late.

I once worked for a guy who used to tell me I needed to take the train before the train that made me late...

"Branch was greeted by Seahawks trainers telling him it was his day to get tested for body fat. His is usually 6 or 7 percent. Monday it was 10.

"They were just hoping it wasn't 20," Branch said.

"Crazy. First day off my honeymoon, getting back in, they measure my fat," said the 5-foot-9, 193-pound Branch, who claims he ran about a mile a day on a treadmill while on St. Lucia.

Branch is taking Darrell Jackson's place as Hasselbeck's primary target this season. Jackson, who shared a unique, unspoken understanding on the field with Hasselbeck, has been traded to San Francisco largely because the Seahawks are expecting huge production from Branch.

Hasselbeck said last week that one of the reasons he worked so fiendishly to return earlier than the team expected following surgery in January on his non-throwing shoulder was so he could begin to bond with Branch before training camp.

But Branch and his girlfriend of six years, Shola, had scheduled their wedding in Florida for this month way back in May 2006. Branch had plenty of time for planning then. He was beginning a contract holdout with the Patriots.

I know how important it is for me, not being here last year at this time," Branch said. "The main thing is just hearing the plays from Matt instead of just hearing them from the coaches." Talk is cheap, Deion.

Branch acknowledged he has much to prove this season, but "just to myself." LOL

After arriving last September at the price of $39 million over six years plus Seattle's first-round choice in April's draft, Branch caught 53 passes with four touchdowns in 14 regular-season games as part of a crowded receiving corps -- and with a quarterback that for the first time in Branch's career wasn't Tom Brady.

Branch had 78 receptions and five scores, both career highs, during the 2005 season with Brady in New England.

"I felt I had an OK year last year -- given the position I was put in," :eek: he said. "I know I can do a whole lot better, given the offseason workouts with Matt, the familiarity with plays.

"I feel better in this system than I did in New England. It's more pass-oriented."

"My main thing is just to be here, getting the work in that we need. It's a whole lot, once you build that chemistry with your quarterback," Branch said. "That shows a whole lot." :confused:

Which again begs the question, why wasn't he?

Deion's like Happy Gilmore. Perhaps another sub-thousand yard season in the great northwest will finally wipe that disingenuous grin off his face. Not sure if he realizes it but this season, just like our 2006 season, isn't all about just him - Hasselback is trying to rebound from back to back injury plagued seasons with a formerly injury plagued WR corps being reshuffled like the deck chairs on Titanic, and Holmgren likely has one foot out the door if he doesn't and the presidential suite at Lambeau beckons to oversee a rebuild post Favre. A year from now there could be a new HC deciding whose checks he wants ownership to sign and whose ticket out of town gets punched.

Branch is taking Darrell Jackson's place as Hasselbeck's primary target this season. Jackson, who shared a unique, unspoken understanding on the field with Hasselbeck, has been traded to San Francisco largely because the Seahawks are expecting huge production from Branch.

Is anyone else kind of puzzled why Seattle traded away Darrell Jackson? They gave up a number 1 pick and are paying Deion 6 million a year, to replace Jackson's production.

Jackson

Code:
Year	G	GS	Rec	Yds	Avg	Lg	TD	20+	40+	1st
2000	16	9	53	713	13.5	71	6	8	2	31
2001	16	16	70	1081	15.4	64	8	20	7	44
2002	13	13	62	877	14.1	48	4	13	2	37
2003	16	16	68	1137	16.7	80	9	18	4	54
2004	16	16	87	1199	13.8	56	7	16	2	59
2005	6	6	38	482	12.7	48	3	4	2	29
2006	13	13	63	956	15.2	72	10	13	6	44
TOTAL	96	89	441	6445	14.6	80	47	92	25	298

Branch
Code:
Year	G	GS	Rec	Yds	Avg	Lg	TD	20+	40+	1st
2002	13	7	43	489	11.4	49	2	6	2	22
2003	15	11	57	803	14.1	66	3	9	2	40
2004	9	9	35	454	13.0	26	4	6	0	27
2005	16	15	78	998	12.8	51	5	13	1	51
2006	14	13	53	725	13.7	38	4	8	0	40
TOTAL	67	55	266	3469	13.0	66	18	42	5	180

The guy schedules his marriage and honeymoon so it is over before minicamp. Because of bad weather, he can't get home. What a total non-story.
Imagine it was Moss instead of Branch and tell me it would be a non-story. They'd be saying, for 3 million dollars (not guaranteed!) he couldn't reschedule his honeymoon? They'd say he wasn't a team-first guy.

Branch put his family first, and I have no problem with that, but at some point you have to understand that when a team gives up so much for you, you have to at least pay lip service to the team. Especially after his disappointing season last year.

Think about this, too: under what circumstances would Welker have missed minicamp? Nothing short of bodily injury.

Imagine it was Moss instead of Branch and tell me it would be a non-story. They'd be saying, for 3 million dollars (not guaranteed!) he couldn't reschedule his honeymoon? They'd say he wasn't a team-first guy.

Branch put his family first, and I have no problem with that, but at some point you have to understand that when a team gives up so much for you, you have to at least pay lip service to the team. Especially after his disappointing season last year.

Think about this, too: under what circumstances would Welker have missed minicamp? Nothing short of bodily injury.

Moss would have been eviscerated by both the media and the fans.

kurtinelson said:
Is anyone else kind of puzzled why Seattle traded away Darrell Jackson? They gave up a number 1 pick and are paying Deion 6 million a year, to replace Jackson's production.

If I recall, since we don't see much of them, their "problem" getting over the hump the last few seasons was attributed to inconsistent receivers. That was why they acquired Jurevicious in 2005 and he was their go to guy down the stretch with Jackson apparently injured. It made no sense when they made no effort to retain him for 2006 since he costs relative WR peanuts. Both Branch and Givens had developed quite the reputations as good hands receivers. They showcased Deion shortly after he arrived doing the fish catch thing at the Seattle fishmart. He won. I think they acquired Deion as drop-free insurance in a move they thought would get them over the top. Problem is, **** happens, like your QB getting injured after your all pro LG is swiped via the old poison pill. And your all pro RB develops a bizarre foot crack that won't heal. Then it's on to the next season and it's time to resign players, and you already committed your #1 money to a #2 you acquired in trade....

Your argument is essentially that since the press has stupid overreactions for non stories with some players they should do so for all players?

Your argument is essentially that since the press has stupid overreactions for non stories with some players they should do so for all players?
When you give up a #1 pick for a WR, pay him millions, and he has a weak season, that's an important story. When he fails to show for minicamp, I don't care what the reason, if the press doesn't comment, they're not doing their job.

Even his QB had something to say. So don't tell me it wasn't a story.

I'm saying Branch is getting more of a pass than Moss would have, because Branch is still on his honeymoon, and I don't mean with his wife.

Last edited:
Thanks for the 1st ROUND PICK!

Can't believe that I thought Deion Branch was anything more than he actually is. And to think, if the Pats paid him, he would likely be pulling the same smack. Wonder what the veterans in the clubhouse feel about this news... the ones that were up in arms about him leaving because he was such a positive leader/character.

Hasselback was counting on Branch's parcipitation this time,and it's not like the Hawks are scrubs who don't have a prayer of contending.
It's not just the honeymoon incident;it sounds like they've had an issue with him before that.
If you leave for the money so be it,but you do right by the team that's paying you.

All that said,he'll probably have a monster year.

Thanks for the 1st ROUND PICK!

Can't believe that I thought Deion Branch was anything more than he actually is. And to think, if the Pats paid him, he would likely be pulling the same smack. Wonder what the veterans in the clubhouse feel about this news... the ones that were up in arms about him leaving because he was such a positive leader/character.
This is where I disagree. Branch is a good WR and a good man.

In this case, he didn't do right by his team when he scheduled his honeymoon that close to minicamp. People paid a lot less have rescheduled honeymoons for a year or more to work around company deadlines.

But I don't want to denigrate who he is or what he was when he played for the Patriots. And if he'd been here last year, the Pats might have won the superbowl.

In this case, he didn't do right by his team when he scheduled his honeymoon that close to minicamp. People paid a lot less have rescheduled honeymoons for a year or more to work around company deadlines.

But I don't want to denigrate who he is or what he was when he played for the Patriots. And if he'd been here last year, the Pats might have won the superbowl.
he's a goof WR NOT great..but a good man?? I might have said that pre-06..but after his tactics of last summer..I think he's a big phony...As to his being around..he didn't WANT to be here..and NO I do not think he would have made a large difference.

In this case, he didn't do right by his team when he scheduled his honeymoon that close to minicamp.
You call that close? Five days into minicamp? He was seven days late! Because of two days weather delay?

I miss Deion, he was a great guy. He may show up late for Seahawks camp but I cant recall if he showed up late here. He brought alot of energy to that offense.

It should be clear from my statement that I thought the world of Branch while he was with the Pats. I had nothing to base those feelings on, but he produced on the field and had no bad press. What he did while with the Pats was nothing short of being the ultimate team player and a player that would be welcomed in any clubhouse.

Now outside of the Patriot Kool aid drinking past and into his contract issues and into this current news update.

While he was awesome while here, he left under contraversy and pulls a move that would be less than acceptable in NE with this honeymoon junk. Next your going to tell me that Paris Hilton shouldn't be denigrated because The Simple Life was a good show when it was on the aire. Where there is smoke, there is fire. And with the Branch character/work ethic question, I'm starting to see smoke where I would otherwise had given the Patriot pass to and looked the other way.

I'm happy as hell to read this. We dodged a bullet. Imagine being on the hook for 6 years 38 million?

Ha ha. Now recievers are falling out of the trees to play for us.

Bye Neion!!:bricks:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes