PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch is asking for too much, wrs that are better

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
we offered him i believe about six mill per, thats plenty for a good number one wr, yes i said good, not great

heres a list of wrs id take ahead of branch:

larry fitzgerald
steve smith
anquan boldin
torry holt
chad johnson
marvin harrison
tj houshmandzadeh
hines ward
(randy moss-better but obv i wouldnt want him on the pats)
(terrell owens-see randy moss)
darrell jackson
derrick mason
javon walker
chris chambers (maybe)
reggie wayne (maybe)

in other words hes a lil above the middle of the pact when it comes to number one wrs

patsfan55 said:
we offered him i believe about six mill per, thats plenty for a good number one wr, yes i said good, not great

larry fitzgerald
steve smith
anquan boldin
torry holt
chad johnson
marvin harrison
tj houshmandzadeh
hines ward
darrell jackson
derrick mason
javon walker
chris chambers (maybe)
reggie wayne (maybe)

in other words hes a lil above the middle of the pact when it comes to number one wrs

Remove Walker and Darryl Jackson and IMHO add Joe Horn, Mushin Muhammed, Moulds, and Rod Smith as well as Terry Glenn.

Andre Johnson and Roy Williams too. Oh yeah, McCardell.

Slagathor said:
Remove Walker and Darryl Jackson and IMHO add Joe Horn, Mushin Muhammed, Moulds, and Rod Smith as well as Terry Glenn.

Andre Johnson and Roy Williams too. Oh yeah, McCardell.

i was def thinkin bout adding those guys
but not terry glenn

Yeah you forgot Andre Johnson. He'd be the best WR in the league if not for having a scrub tossing him the football. I think I'd rather have Reggie Wayne too. Also Muhsin Muhammad.

Amended list using the best of patsfan55's additions and a subtraction or two:

larry fitzgerald
steve smith
anquan boldin
torry holt
chad johnson
marvin harrison
tj houshmandzadeh
hines ward
derrick mason
javon walker -healthy
chris chambers (maybe)
reggie wayne
Joe Horn
Mushin Muhammed
Moulds
Andre Johnson
ROY WILLIAMS!

Holy Moley, that's some list of guys ahead of Branch, many way ahead of him. Some are a little old to be on this list I'll admit but in terms of what can deliver today. But place 80% of any of the names above on the Pats and the Twig would be soon forgotten, I bet.

Amen to this thread. Branch is a middle of the pack #1 WR in the NFL. He wants to be paid like a top-8 WR. Let someone else make that mistake.

BB/Pioli are fighting the good fight here. Branch may very well be worth more in a different system, but in the Pats system he isn't worth that kind of money.

It's a free country and he has every right to try to get as much as he can........NEXT year when his contract is up. That's my only problem with his actions.

This "go ahead and try to affect a trade" move by the Pats is pure genius.

shmessy said:
Amen to this thread. Branch is a middle of the pack #1 WR in the NFL. He wants to be paid like a top-8 WR. Let someone else make that mistake.

BB/Pioli are fighting the good fight here. Branch may very well be worth more in a different system, but in the Pats system he isn't worth that kind of money.

It's a free country and he has every right to try to get as much as he can........NEXT year when his contract is up. That's my only problem with his actions.

This "go ahead and try to affect a trade" move by the Pats is pure genius.

couldnt agree more

i jus wish they could get him in this yr and then let him walk next yr
let chad jackson develop, add a couple guys via draft/fa
hope that bam bam develops into the next troy brown

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Amended list using the best of patsfan55's additions and a subtraction or two:

larry fitzgerald
steve smith
anquan boldin
torry holt
chad johnson
marvin harrison
tj houshmandzadeh
hines ward
derrick mason
javon walker -healthy
chris chambers (maybe)
reggie wayne
Joe Horn
Mushin Muhammed
Moulds
Andre Johnson
ROY WILLIAMS!

Holy Moley, that's some list of guys ahead of Branch, many way ahead of him. Some are a little old to be on this list I'll admit but in terms of what can deliver today. But place 80% of any of the names above on the Pats and the Twig would be soon forgotten, I bet.

Don't forget Santana Moss! That guy is a tough game breaker!

patsfan55 said:

larry fitzgerald
steve smith
anquan boldin
torry holt
chad johnson
marvin harrison
tj houshmandzadeh
hines ward
darrell jackson
derrick mason
javon walker
chris chambers (maybe)
reggie wayne (maybe)

You guys are unbelievable! How quickly you forget. Branch is a huge reason for the success we have had. And he is tremendously underpaid! The extension averages out to be a little under $5M/year over the next 4 years. Not a bad average. The problem is the up front money. A $4m signing bonus? That's a joke! And then a $4M roster bonus in 2007. That's another joke! He has already earned that money since he's been here but has only been paid half of it. Listen to Brady when he says that Branch is the most important player on this offense. I think if they gaurantee more money, a deal gets done with no problem. Say what you want, but BB and SP are lowballers! I promise you that Kraft feels differently about this situation!

Edit: n/m, I forgot I didn't care.

Last edited:
Terence said:
You guys are unbelievable! How quickly you forget. Branch is a huge reason for the success we have had. And he is tremendously underpaid! The extension averages out to be a little under $5M/year over the next 4 years. Not a bad average. The problem is the up front money. A $4m signing bonus? That's a joke! And then a $4M roster bonus in 2007. That's another joke! He has already earned that money since he's been here but has only been paid half of it. Listen to Brady when he says that Branch is the most important player on this offense. I think if they gaurantee more money, a deal gets done with no problem. Say what you want, but BB and SP are lowballers! I promise you that Kraft feels differently about this situation!

So from your last sentence, you'd prefer Kraft to make the contract and personnel decisions instead of BB/Pioli? I think we've all seen THAT movie before.

You're right. Kraft certainly DOES feel differently about this situation than BB/Pioli.

And thank God he can't act on his feelings as he did in the late 90's when he splurged on Rucci, EZ Pass Lane, McGinest (yes, for a couple of years in the 90's he was GROSSLY overpaid) and his beloved Drew. How'd you like the depth on those disappointing teams?

Thank God there is this enforced wall against Kraft's emotions running amok in the front office these days.

He and Vlad Putin wear the results on their fingers.

Last edited:
shmessy said:
He and Vlad Putin wear the results on their fingers.
GREAT line.

NEM said:
While all the receivers mentioned in this thread are quality receivers, and may, or maay not be, better than Branch., the fact is that Branch and Brady have an important CHEMISTRY with each other.
Hate to say it, but I totally agree. The whole of the QB-to-WR game is greater than the sum of its parts. We KNOW Branch and Brady play very well together. Many other WRs certainly would to, but not all of them. And not all would necessarily get the complexity of the offense.

Patjew said:
Hate to say it, but I totally agree. The whole of the QB-to-WR game is greater than the sum of its parts. We KNOW Branch and Brady play very well together. Many other WRs certainly would to, but not all of them. And not all would necessarily get the complexity of the offense.

And the other teams' FO's that would be negotiating to land Branch also know that it would be very difficult for him to establish chemistry in 10 days with THEIR QBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back