PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's response through Don Yee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to say this, because I know how we all feel misled, but I wonder if Sharks of Vegas did have a source who was involved enough to know the league was worried the scandal would turn on themselves. What has become clear is that Goodell isn't as dumb as people think when met with the need for self preservation, so he hired Wells to cover his ass, and pissed on us and told everyone he was this independent investigator, when we all should have seen it for the farce it was. More than likely SOV's source was involved enough to know there was panic, like in many work places, but not nearly involved enough to know that they were in full damage control mode for themselves. Kraft's demand for an apology might have exacerbated this, pushing Herr Goodell to not only cover his ass but to get even.

I think you are right. The leaks we were hearing that bolstered some of us to think the Pats could emerge smelling like roses were not debunked in the Wells report. They were given short shrift or ignored.

No it's not. It's a toothless rebuttal focusing on the relationship between Wells and the NFL instead of any facts that might support Brady's defense. And ....what the NFL could have done differently prior to the game is irrelevant to the findings of the report that "tampering" occurred. Sorry...I just don't buy into the "If we weren't warned about breaking rules in advance, then we shouldn't be punished for breaking the rules." That is a ridiculous defense.
My take: the league was content to ignore the pregame warnings by Indy.....but Indy pressed the issue once they obtained evidence. Indy forced their hand....much like Spygate. Both Indy and the NYJ forced the NFL into action...opening pandora's box.
Regardless of anyone's opinion on Wells, the reality is that Well's reports have supported action and punishment in the past and likely will in this case as well. The Brady camp has to do significantly more than shoot the messenger....and that is all Yee is offering right now.
And sorry to the faction that believes Brady can do no wrong, but Brady's refusal to support his verbal testimony with his electronic records essentially nullifies his "testimony." Sorry.....he has to live with his choices and he made his choice. When I learned Brady refused to provide his electrons info, my first reaction was that Brady was essentially pleading "No Contest". Willing to accept the consequences without admitting to anything.
IMHO
Sorry to say this, but I wholeheartedly disagree. I have seen people get into fights over the complete and utter misinterpretations of texts and emails. There is a undeniable propensity for the reader to interpret texts and emails how they would like them to be. My wife may text me that she is going to meet gronk "and give him a big kiss" at work, and I text back "I hate you!" Wells would say, I was a jealous man who hated his wife, and that my wife was a flirtatious groupie!

No it's not. Robert Kraft clearly cares more about not rocking the boost than he does the legacy of his team and the greatest player to ever play for it. As He pointed out this was a rigged investigation with predetermined results and it implicates Brady as a cheater when he is anything but. League policy when a concern is raised is to notify the team it is raised about and rather than do so they ran a sting operation knowing full well that weather would lower the psi in the footballs and make it appear they were altered. If Kraft doesn't want to fight this then scree him, Brady has more than enough resources to do so himself and he should go after the league on his own.
I'm done with Kraft and I feel foolish for questioning my convictions about him following the pre-SB press conference. He is a sell out to take any punishment laying down which all but guarantees Tom's legacy being completely tarnished. What a way to allow the man who made his franchise worth a damn be attacked and slandered by the vultures in the league office and by extension the media.

Last edited:
Yee should just put out his notes of the whole Brady interview. Let's get it all out there.

It's better if he can force Wells to put out the full notes, or at least show the world that Wells WON'T produce them. In the latter case, Yee can then put out his notes and Wells is in an even darker light.

Can't wait to hear Felger dismiss Brady's statement through his agent...Felger is such an obvious troll...Good God I cannot stand him....

So, where is the NFLPA in all of this? Do they have a voice?

No it's not. It's a toothless rebuttal focusing on the relationship between Wells and the NFL instead of any facts that might support Brady's defense.
IMHO

I disagree getting into the details of he said she said the methodology of the ball measurements the fact that there was no baseline other than Anderson's memory. Just go after Wells with a meat cleaver.

WEBPAGE_20150422_201826.jpg If I am Tom Brady I sue the crap out of Ted Wells and the NFL for probably having probable knowledge of deflation of balls.

If I am Tom Brady I do this to the NFL and Ted Wells

I disagree getting into the details of he said she said the methodology of the ball measurements the fact that there was no baseline other than Anderson's memory. Just go after Wells with a meat cleaver.
Wonder if anyone still keeps in contact with Hernandez...

Re: Kraft. Not sure what he can.

I suppose, as a statement of his frustration with the league, he could publish a note informing his intent to step down from the NFL committees he sits on.

I hope folks realize the weight, subtlety and magnitude of Brady's statement via Donald Yee.

Donald Yee is a highly respected attorney and agent. He is not only is considered one of the most honest, ethical and considerate agents in the NFL, he is a frequent guest lecturer at many law schools and has authored opinions on the ethics in sports. He has consulted teams, the league and the NFLPA on a multitude of matters.

We aren't talking about Jerome Stanley or Scott Boras here.

The NFL has an army of legal muscle, but Yee is sharper than sharp.

For Yee to attach his name to this and rip the Wells Report apart should send shockwaves throughout the NFL General Council's Office and Wells' firm Paul, Weiss, LLC. I'm sure they expected it, but to use such strong language I think might have surprised them.

Yee has major street cred with owners, GMs and the league and is a highly respected member of the legal community. His credentials are impeccable.

Brady not only has a great agent- but also has a tier 1 attorney in his corner.

Last edited:
Also, even though the findings of the Wells report find cause for penalty, it doesn't ensure that a penalty will be levied. Perhaps the league will agree with those who find fault in the report .... enough to not sanction any penalty yet leave doubt in the minds of many that the Pats cheated.

Kraft is limited in how he can respond. He has a contract with the league that states in round terms that he has to accept the findings of any league investigation /disciplinary action. Brady has no such agreement.
If this is true, then he should have said nothing, rather than give the wussified response he did. We'll take whatever punishment they give and move on? C'mon man!

View attachment 9208 If I am Tom Brady I sue the crap out of Ted Wells and the NFL for probably having probable knowledge of deflation of balls.

If I am Tom Brady I do this to the NFL and Ted Wells
This what Brady basically did.

He also has the financial resources to go to war.

I don't think it is extreme at all.

Kraft, through prioritizing the league over the Patriots, has allowed the franchise and its fans to have its greatest achievements undermined by jealous, petty individuals.

Some may say that he has been 'weak'.

I disagree.

Kraft is a rich man because he knows which side his bread is buttered.

I don't want to be in the position of having to defend Kraft, because ultimately, I don't agree with him. But I can understand why he wouldn't want to protect Brady, because doing so would hurt him and possibly damage the reputation of a franchise that's already been through enough.

But more importantly, I feel that part of him feels unhappy with Brady. Seeing those text messages for the first time probably did not go well. And for all we know, Brady might've been less than truthful towards Kraft. If so, then Kraft was probably shocked and confused by what he found in the report (not that he would publicly say that, but his notable lack of support towards Brady is very telling). I don't think he agrees with all the findings of the report, but I feel this report might have stirred some tension between him and Brady, the same way Spygate did with him and Belichick.

I don't call that a betrayal....I think he's trying to be the best owner he can be, by saving his franchise from further embarrassment.

Would Jerry Jones?

People like Jerry Jones and the Jets got away with circumventing the salary cap freeze several seasons ago. Nothing happened to them.

Neither Kraft nor the organization is implicated in this report, since it specifically takes Belichick and (by implication) his staff off the hook. It is clearly all "on Brady" and on what the report asks us to believe was a rogue operation run at his behest.

This is way out of my bailiwick, but Brady/Bundchen are one of the few non-owner "entities" in the NFL whose pockets are deep enough to go toe-to-toe with the League in litigation if they so choose; presumably, the Krafts would chip in, but I'm not so sure given the weak tone of Kraft's comments to date. However, the tone of Yee's statement suggests that Brady might be leaning in the direction of litigating this.

If I were his friend, I'd advise Brady to get opinions from one or two top legal minds who are knowledgeable of the kind of litigation he would need to pursue.

I'm a layman, so I have no idea where he would go for those opinions or what his recourse might be, but I'd probably think along the lines of a Bob Barnett, David Boies or Ted Olson, any one of whom would charge what most of us would count as a big chunk of our wages just to give him their view. I'd advise him to get a hard-nosed assessment of his likelihood of success and potential costs.

I'd advise him then to sit down with his most trusted advisers and decide what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents