PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

bradys draft position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
ok i just finished reading the education of a coach book.. reading about brady and his college career it got me thinking.. had brady not split reps in michigan, do you think he could of been first round talent? or wouldnt it have mattered?

Maybe he would have been a fouth rounder.Just a guess.

Having to split time with a freshman sends warning signals to scouts. I really can't figure it out. Brady was 25-3. He would go into games to pull Hensons ass out of the fire.

Well Mich mistake was our gain.

Probably not. Brady was considered undersized and did not have prototypical arm strength. The intengibles were there, but there could be no predicting how special a player he was. Best case scenario, if he had not split reps, some team would take him in round 4-5 to mold into a backup.

stinkypete said:
Probably not. Brady was considered undersized and did not have prototypical arm strength. The intengibles were there, but there could be no predicting how special a player he was. Best case scenario, if he had not split reps, some team would take him in round 4-5 to mold into a backup.

I believe he added 20 lbs of muscles after he came here.

stinkypete said:

Funny, isnt the Jets QB Chad, kinda like brady? Has great accuracy, but is not not known for his arm.

I guess great Qbs are not born, they are made.

CW and BB should stand up.

mesoslo said:
Funny, isnt the Jets QB Chad, kinda like brady? Has great accuracy, but is not not known for his arm.

I guess great Qbs are not born, they are made.

CW and BB should stand up.
Bill Walsh too. Joe Montana didn't get drafted until the third round. In fact, Joe was also considered too skinny and lacking in arm strength. The following QB Heisman winners makes you think that maybe the pros should just pick names out of a hat:

2004 Matt Leinart USC (Quarterback) (We'll see)
2003 Jason White Oklahoma (Quarterback)
2002 Carson Palmer Southern California (Quarterback) (Good so far)
2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska (Quarterback)
2000 Chris Weinke Florida State (Quarterback)
1996 Danny Wuerffel Florida (Quarterback)
1993 Charlie Ward Florida State (Quarterback)
1992 Gino Torretta Miami (Quarterback)
1990 Ty Detmer Brigham Young (Quarterback)
1989 Andre Ware Houston (Quarterback)

You could keep going and find Testaverde, Flutie and Plunkett, that did OK, but then there were Pat Sullivan, Gary Beban, Steve Spurrier, John Huarte, and it goes on.

Besides Chad who is hanging on by his fingernails, there are two QB's left standing from the 1999 draft - 6th rounders Marc Bulger and Tom Brady. And undrafted Billy Volek may yet have his shot.

Gone are such notables as Giovanni Carmazzi (3rd SF), Chris Redman (3rd Balt), Tee Martin (5th Pitt), Spergon Wynn (6th Cleveland), Tim Rattay (7th SF).

Noodle had some pretty gaudy numbers at Marshall so the JETS cursed as they are would likely have taken him anyway. The rest all had supposed arm strength but struggled with accuracy or consistency or decision making or pocket presence. Brady wasn't undersized, just underfed. What he had that the others lacked - which cannot be coached - prototype height. ;)

Well, that and IT. :rolleyes:

What I remember most about Brady in college was that he never gave up.

The guy was relentless. He just kept coming back.

His team may be down 1 or 2 TD's but Brady always found a way to win in the end.

The Alabama game against Shaun Alexander clearly showed just how driven and persistent he was in bringing back his team from almost certain defeat.

When he was drafted late, I was baffled why teams couldn't see this guy's drive and motivation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft