PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady? Where does he Rank All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
New to the board. Been a Pat fan since the Steve Grogan Day's way back in 1985. Look forward to chatting with you guy's. Im not sure if this topic has already been discussed ,so please let me know.

Where would you rank Tom Brady All time. I would put him in the top 5

1 Montana
2 Elway
3 Bradshaw
4 Dan Fouts - Underated. They had no defense.
5 Brady
6 Marino

If we win another SB, I bet you'll hear people saying he is the best Quarterback in history. Meanwhile he'll always have his critics, no matter what.

Montana is at #1, but it's way too early to say anything at this point. Is Brady even 30 yet? This is like figuring out how good Montana is before the 1989 season ever happened.

I put him behind only Joe at this point in his career.

I am also extremely biased.

I'll rank him when he is retired. Because you never know if he has a miserable rest of his career, or if he wins 3 more SB's.

Michigan Dave said:
I put him behind only Joe at this point in his career.

I am also extremely biased.

Lot's of people on this website are... (As I wear my Brady jersey waiting for class to start) :)

I'd rather let his peers rate him. It doesn't look like he made the "overrated" list in SI though.:D

I think Brady will end up neck and neck with Montana when his career is all said and done. Maybe ahead of Montana. I see him winning 6 to 7 super bowls

7 Super Bowls? Don't bogart the joint. Just be glad they're in the running.

StanleyMorgan86 said:
I think Brady will end up neck and neck with Montana when his career is all said and done. Maybe ahead of Montana. I see him winning 6 to 7 super bowls

Wow. I hope you're right, but :eek:

I give him an incomplete.

Seriously, a lot can change. You can't take away what he has won but look at the hit Favre's legacy has taken the last couple years. Brady could always lose some shine and fall behind a guy like Aikman.

What if Peyton wins a couple titles? Combine his stats with a couple titles and he'd have to be #1, right?

What if brady wins a couple more rings? 5 titles would have to make him #1.

Brady, like Manning, is a special qb who will rank amoung the all-time greats. It is way too early to know where he falls into that group.

Brady will rank #1 in my heart as I am a Pats fan but if I try to stay objective he does not fit into my top ten of NFL all time QBs.

Too many sports fans have short memories and ignore great players before their generation. For example, how would you compare Tom to Otto Graham? I say Otto was greater. Otto played 10 years and made it to the league championship all 10. He won 7 of them and even played professional basketball 1 year.

As a Pats fan I am about to say a dirty word, Peyton Manning. You don't have him on your list. Compare his statistal accomplishments to anyone on your top 5 and who beats him? The only thing Peyton needs is a SB ring. If he gets it I think he'll be the #1 QB of all time.

Last edited:
dont think u can rank a player in the all time best list if hes still playing, my opinion, but will be ranked one of the best

Well, Johnny Unitas wasn't all that bad.

Seriously, I think it's too early to rate Brady this way. Two more years and we can do it.

All I can say is there is no quarterback, now or in the past, that I'd rather see at the helm of the Patriots.

It seems every decade/generation has a statistically superior QB and another one who looks plain by comparison that accumulates playoff wins.

I'm just glad that I am fortuitous enough to cheer for the winner.

FWIW, I used to work with a guy that played QB in college and was also an OC at a local small college. When asked were he would place Brady he confidently answered that Brady was the best that ever played. He told me that Brady's ability to look off safeties and always be looking down the field were the best he'd ever seen.

I'm not sure that I agree, but he certainly knows more about football than I do. Maybe he just gives those two very heavy weightings because they contribute to good QB play so much.

Mainefan said:
Well, Johnny Unitas wasn't all that bad.

Seriously, I think it's too early to rate Brady this way. Two more years and we can do it.

All I can say is there is no quarterback, now or in the past, that I'd rather see at the helm of the Patriots.

I agree its early ,but the guy already has 3 Super Bowls. What's impressive about him is his ability in clutch situations. I think the 3 super bowls,and ability in the clutch should automatically at least put him in the top 5.

At this point in his career Brady is ahead of every QB at an equavilent point in their career as a starter. By the end of his career he may be the best who has ever played the game (I believe this will happen).

Th e3 best I have seeen play:

1) Montana
2) Unitas
3) Starr

Unitas invented the 'modern QB' as Cousey invented the point guard position. Starr is usually vastly underrated, he, like Brady played his best in the big spot.

I also think Staubach is very underrated, he was very clutch in his day.

patsfan13 said:
At this point in his career Brady is ahead of every QB at an equavilent point in their career as a starter. By the end of his career he may be the best who has ever played the game (I believe this will happen).

Th e3 best I have seeen play:

1) Montana
2) Unitas
3) Starr

Unitas invented the 'modern QB' as Cousey invented the point guard position. Starr is usually vastly underrated, he, like Brady played his best in the big spot.

I also think Staubach is very underrated, he was very clutch in his day.
Starr was in the top 10, but if there is such a thing as a system quarterback, he would be it for me. There were eight other HOFers on Starr's Green Bay teams, probably a record, plus the greatest football coach ever.

Montana
Unitas
Graham
Elway
Marino

Brady is incomplete, as someone else said.

StanleyMorgan86 said:
New to the board. Been a Pat fan since the Steve Grogan Day's way back in 1985. Look forward to chatting with you guy's. Im not sure if this topic has already been discussed ,so please let me know.

Where would you rank Tom Brady All time. I would put him in the top 5

1 Montana
2 Elway
3 Bradshaw
4 Dan Fouts - Underated. They had no defense.
5 Brady
6 Marino

I detect a missing fellow or two...

John Unitas?
Otto Graham?
Roger Staubach?
o

Fanfrom1960 said:
Starr was in the top 10, but if there is such a thing as a system quarterback, he would be it for me. There were eight other HOFers on Starr's Green Bay teams, probably a record, plus the greatest football coach ever.

Montana
Unitas
Graham
Elway
Marino

Brady is incomplete, as someone else said.

I'd have to include Sammy Baugh towards the bottom of the top ten. Great two way player back when football was a man's game, and not just NaPolian's fantasy league. It always shows people's short term view or lack of knowledge to not include the Graham's and Unitas's. Like when people want to list the best coaches but leave off Paul Brown. We tend to think that coaching began with Lombardi.

Manning and Marino have not shown the ability to elevate their team, and this hurts them in my mind. No excuses, please!

Brady will top this list if he wins 5 rings, like I have always felt he would. But that is because of our short term memory or lack of historical perspective.

I'd have to put Otto Graham at the very top of my list. Based on 100 years of football history. Montana in the modern era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents