PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady vs. Manning (merged) Comparison Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Brady vs Manning (merged) Comparison Thread

Manning doesn't have a 6'5" receiver who can jump about 9 feet in the air. He has a pair of 5'10 receivers. That certainly makes a difference.

That is slightly underselling two future HoF receivers. They supposed best downfield receiver in the game, Lee Evans, is only 5'10.

I gave the numbers for each individual year. Brady is better, whether you are including 2007 or not. Without 2007, Brady is still at .308 from 41+, compared to Manning's .200.

Where are you getting those stats?

I gave the numbers for each individual year. Brady is better, whether you are including 2007 or not. Without 2007, Brady is still at .308 from 41+, compared to Manning's .200.

Furthermore, I always find the "except 2007" interjections to be amusing. Nobody seems to say "except 2004" when talking about Manning, after all, and the Manning/Brady years don't occur until Manning is already in his prime, while Brady still takes a couple of seasons to get up to full ability.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that someone was better than another person during those years and not during these years. Brady was better than Peyton in 2007. Peyton has had better years than Brady in others.

No one reads that trash rag :)

ah, c'mon. i bet if you ran the same poll on an equally trashy Boston rag (lord knows we have a few of those :rolleyes:), and link the poll on a colts forum, brady would still win by a wide margin. And I'm sure you have have this poll linked in your forum too. If nothing else, we win as homers :snob:

Tommy pulled ahead in the last few hours. Keep those votes coming!

Re: In What Ways is Peyton Manning a Better QB than Brady: The Ultimate Homer Test

Yeah, he'll be back. It's just a matter of when he wants to fully plant on that leg/knee. I felt he had Moss on those couple of bombs he threw up against Miami and they were only dropped/intercepted because of two outstanding plays from Vontae Davis (who was with Moss step for step on those couple of plays).

On the Davis interception he was not leading Moss as he should have on the deep post.

Re: In What Ways is Peyton Manning a Better QB than Brady: The Ultimate Homer Test

On the Davis interception he was not leading Moss as he should have on the deep post.

you're right and even the TV idiots pointed it out. moss had to slow down. if he'd been able to keep his stride he would have had real separation and been off to the races when the pass got there.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that someone was better than another person during those years and not during these years. Brady was better than Peyton in 2007. Peyton has had better years than Brady in others.

But you made a poor, and overly general, "every year but 2007" argument.

Last edited:

As for me, I think Manning knows how to loft the high arching timing routes better than Brady. I think the 2007 year Brady threw a better deep ball, but every year outside of that I think Manning has thrown a better one.

Deus, you misunderstand my argument. Like I said in both my last posts, I think Manning has thrown better deep balls in all years except the 2007 season.

You are misunderstanding my argument as saying Manning throws better deep balls "except for 2007". I'm not saying that one throws better deep balls than the other. At this point, i'm not really sure anymore. But, logically, it makes sense to say that one qb threw better deep balls than another in certain years and didn't in others. And yes, I do agree with you it is general.

Deus, you misunderstand my argument. Like I said in both my last posts, I think Manning has thrown better deep balls in all years except the 2007 season.

You are misunderstanding my argument as saying Manning throws better deep balls "except for 2007". I'm not saying that one throws better deep balls than the other. At this point, i'm not really sure anymore. But, logically, it makes sense to say that one qb threw better deep balls than another in certain years and didn't in others. And yes, I do agree with you it is general.

I think Manning has thrown better deep balls in all years except the 2007 season.

Since 2002, there have been 5 years where Manning's been 0fer at 41+ yard passes. How can you possibly look at that and still make the claim that he's throwing a better deep ball than Brady during those seasons?

Didn't feel this was especially worthy of another thread, sooo....

Another Brady/Manning (and other Pats/Colts) poll if you feel like voting - a SportsNation poll on BSPN.com. I know...lame, but here it is anyway. :p

SportsNation Polls - SportsNation - ESPN

Rundown of the questions, and the results so far, for those not inclined to give clicks to BSPN:

Which team will win Sunday?: Colts 53% / Pats 47% (I voted Pats of course, but this is a perfectly reasonable split, whether I like to admit it or not.)

Which QB would you rather have for the remainder of his career?: Peyton 59% / Brady 41% (I'm shocked that Peyton gets more love! SHOCKED I tell you! :rolleyes:)

Where is TFB in his comeback?: Almost all the way - 73% (finally, some common sense from the unwashed masses! :D)

Which team's defense is better? (the only one the Pats are winning, and just BARELY. Whatevs!) Pats 51% / Colts 49%

Aaaaand I saved the best, and sure to be most popular with patsfans members, :p for last!

Which 1st round pick RB would you rather have? Addai 68% / Maroney 32%

Last edited:
Which 1st round pick RB would you rather have? Addai 68% / Maroney 32%
That's interesting considering statistically LoMo craps all over Addai this season.

That's interesting considering statistically LoMo craps all over Addai this season.

I was surprised, too. I presume FF stats aren't driving that, then. And it was my impression that many Colts fans are even less fond of Addai than some Pats fans are of Maroney. :confused2: Perhaps the all Pat fan Maroney haters are driving that one? :D

Last edited:
I was surprised, too. I presume FF stats aren't driving that, then. And it was my impression that many Colts fans are even less fond of Addai than some Pats fans are of Maroney. :confused2: Perhaps the all Pat fan Maroney haters are driving that one? :D
Yeah.. last time I checked averaging 4.3 ypc was a little better than 3.4 ypc. We're way too harsh on LoMo IMO.

They are both great QBs ...

Which one can lob it into a moving baby carriage from 20 yards away.

Which one can wedge it in Khloe Khardashian's butt from 25 yards.

Which one can throw it so Joey Porter can catch it from 30 yards away.

He's done that before. He did it twice against the Dolphins in 2007. My guess is that he was expecting Randy to make more of an effort in jumping up and getting it being that Moss was one on one, but clearly was not able to gain separation from Davis.

Last edited:

He's done that before. He did it twice against the Dolphins in 2007. My guess is that he was expecting Randy to make more of an effort in jumping up and getting it being that Moss was one on one, but clearly was not able to gain separation from Davis.

You always lead the WR if he is on the deep post. Put the ball in front of your man if the defender is behind him. You don't throw jump balls on post patterns.

I do wonder if Moss' back is still troubling him a little more than we all know. He either looks appreciably older to me or it's worrying him as he isn't the same vertical threat we've come to expect of Moss' vertical leaping ability just yet.

current standing is Brady - 52% and Manning - 48%

You always lead the WR if he is on the deep post. Put the ball in front of your man if the defender is behind him. You don't throw jump balls on post patterns.

NFL Game Center: Miami Dolphins at New England Patriots - 2009 Week 9

1. He wasn't leading Davis by a comfortable margin at all. Davis was very much running stride for stride with Moss.

2. You're right, the ball could have been thrown about a foot or two more. However, that ball WAS coming down in front of Moss and it took one hell of an athletic play by Davis to pick that ball off. Watch the video again.

3. I didn't say that he was throwing a jump ball. I know very much when you do and do not throw jump balls. I was saying that my guess for why he still threw that even though the coverage was tight was because he expected Moss to out-leap Davis and make a play on the ball. As it turns out, Davis had the leverage. Put that INT on Vontae Davis making an athletic play... not Tom Brady making a terrible throw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes