PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady vs Ben?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fact
2004 - 17 TD
2005- 17 TD
2006 -18 TD but he attempted 100 more passes than each of the previous 2 years. What does Breaking his face have to do with 30 attempts per game? And how can you call last year a wash when his TD production was the same as his first 2 years?

Because the whole team sucked last year, and Ben went down with them. He threw what, 23 picks last year? He missed training camp, did next to nothing in August except heal. Missed the season opener because of surgery and was forced back into the action way too soon when he clearly wasn't physically ready to go. Last year was the exception, not the rule. After he posts a few more great years you'll still be talking about 06' won't you? Every QB has a down year... just the way it is. His was terrible, but hey... that's what you get sometimes in the NFL. As bad as he was last year, that's how great he's been this year.

30 attempts came in games we were getting killed in, with no running game. That's why we lost, not because he threw 30 passes.

Because the whole team sucked last year, and Ben went down with them. He threw what, 23 picks last year? He missed training camp, did next to nothing in August except heal. Missed the season opener because of surgery and was forced back into the action way too soon when he clearly wasn't physically ready to go. Last year was the exception, not the rule. After he posts a few more great years you'll still be talking about 06' won't you? Every QB has a down year... just the way it is. His was terrible, but hey... that's what you get sometimes in the NFL. As bad as he was last year, that's how great he's been this year.

Why, I could call less about Windsheildburger. I think he's an OK QB not great but OK. If he was great he would have never let his team lose to the JETS.

Why, I could call less about Windsheildburger. I think he's an OK QB not great but OK. If he was great he would have never let his team lose to the JETS.

Great QB's never have bad games you're right. Oh wait, Brady's lost to some lousy teams also. (See: Miami, Jets) Those two come to mind and I'm sure there's plenty more. Boy you burned yourself with that one.

Great QB's never have bad games you're right. Oh wait, Brady's lost to some lousy teams also. (See: Miami, Jets) Those two come to mind and I'm sure there's plenty more. Boy you burned yourself with that one.

I thought last year didn't count, Right!!

I mean that is what you said isn't it!!!

Last edited:

I give him a pass on last year. The fact that he played as much as he did was a testament to him IMO.

Let me give you a lesson or two.

1. Top five has nothing to do with numbers... if you're hanging your hat on numbers alone your in rough shape. How many years did Jerome lead the leagu ein any rushing category? Zero. Seems he was pretty good. It's about wins and losses. Ben is 43-15.

2. Game manager eh? First team in AFC history to go 15-1, then went to a superbowl and won it in his second year. You don't get to that point if your QB can't make plays.

3. Ben's record throwing 30 or more passes was built during his terrible year last year. You break a windshield with your face, then have an appendectomy, then have a concussion all in a matter of two months and we'll see how you do. Last year is a total wash... he's better than that and anybody that watches football would know that. Oh and by the way... he never used his health as an excuse... he manned up and took full responsibility when everyone around him knew what the problem was.

Jerome Bettis was NOT a GREAT running back...let's just set that record straight right now. He surely had great games, but that's about it.

But you were right on the money with "...he was pretty good"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=schoenfield/060125

Last edited:
Jerome Bettis was NOT a GREAT running back...let's just set that record straight right now. He surely had great games, but that's about it.

He's one of those lengevity=greatness RBs. Never really a difference maker or a gamebreaker like some other RBs but he was consistent and played forever so he has a lot of cumulative stats. I certainly never feared playing the Steelers because of Jerome Bettis.

no qb handles pressure better than ben

This kid nearly had to buy me a new laptop after I nearly spat tea all over this one. So he's mobile and can avoid pressure, nobody can stay in the pocket and handle pressure as good as Brady though.

Great QBs make their team better, not go down with them. There really is no excuse for throwing 23 interceptions. Maybe the team sucked because Ben sucked, not the opposite.

I will say though, that you are right when you say last year was the exception.

I'd take Ben Roethlisberger this year probably at number 5...

Brady
Manning
Romo
Favre
Roethlisberger

He's a good QB, I'll admit that. He's no Brady. If he continues the career he's having right now he won't be a first ballot hall of famer, either.

I apologize if I'm late to the party and this has already been resolved within the thread...I basically read a few pages and fell upon the discussion of 'pocket presence vs. mobility'. I think they're 100% intertwined and just because a player is comfortable outside the pocket doesn't mean he's helping his team by being out there. The ability to stay in the pocket, to move around the pressure, and still deliver a strike, is key in any NFL offense. Tom Brady's average pass attempt this season has gone for 8.6 yards, Ben's for 8.0. So an inability to stay in the pocket and deliver a strike when there's pressure on is taking yards away from the offense, and scrambling isn't going to make up for that in most cases. So here's my (very) quick and (very) dirty analysis of 'Brady vs. Ben: mobility'. A mobile quarterback is someone who 1) feels pressure and can move around, deliver the ball despite the rush; and 2) knows when to pull the ball down and run with it, and also the QB's ability to turn said run into positive yards for the offense (again, knowing that they both deliver 8+ yards an attempt, it isn't necessarily a good think when they tuck and run).

Brady's been sacked 16 times for 101 yards; Ben 35 times for 254 yards. Brady's rushed 24 times for 78 yards, Ben 27 times for 154 yards. If you eliminate sneaks--I couldn't image they'd effect the numbers that much--this is the sum total of times that these two have 'allowed' pressure to get to them, either by getting sacked or running with the ball. I see two things with these numbers: 1) Brady doesn't let the rush get to him as much (40 rushes + sacks vs. 62 for Ben), this allows him to deliver more pass plays which, as noted, is important because of the yardage generated on an average pass; 2) even though Brady doesn't scramble as well, he doesn't allow good pressure to hurt the team as much: Ben has been sacked more than twice as much as Brady, and one would assume that a good number of those have come from an inability to avoid the in-pocket pressure and/or a poor job of scrambling. If you combine the numbers (subtracting the sack yards from the rushing yards), you have a -23 for Brady, and a -100 for Ben; while he 'scrambles' more successfully, his ability to avoid the initial pressure is considerably worse and, in the end, hurts the team more than his scrambling helps.

All that said, this is all moot because to truly compare them you'd have to have them running the same offense against the same defense. I have alot of respect for Ben...after his rookie year I thought he was a flash in the pan, a 'system' QB who let the running game carry him to the SB. But this year he's truly emerged as a threat all his own, and he's still young. At the same time, comparing him to Brady seems ridiculous.

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter what the Steelers fans think.

When the final bell has been rung, Brady will be in the HOF. Big Ben, maybe but I don't think so.

Numbers, stats, ability, etc really don't mean a thing.

What does Brady have, just the mind set, I will not lose. Montana, I will not lose and enough talent to back it up.

I used to play this guy at tennis, we played for a number of years. I have to say we were pretty equal talent, but to be honest for me it was just a game. When he got behind, he got this look in his eye, well it was over. He won maybe 90% of the time. But, I am not joking, our talent was pretty equal.

The intangibles. Can anyone realize they play a more important part than just about anything.

Look at life, the folks that are willing to really put in the time and effort come out on top. Just the way it works.

You either have it, or you do not. Brady has it.

Brady will go down as the best QB ever. Sure laugh, I don't, the guy is flat out awesome. And it is what is between his ears that will make it so.

And I have been watching football on a regular basis since the '60's. Montana to me would never be matched, but I am of a changed opinion.

Big Ben = Brady. I don't think so.

Roth isn't even the best QB in his own division. Carson Palmer is a better player than Big Ben and Palmer isn't in Brady's league.
Tom Brady is the best QB in football today and will go down as the best ever to play the position when he retires.
The word "great" doesn't even apply to Rothliesberger. Ben's a very good player at this point in his career.

LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL oh please. I'm done with you Reign.

Wildo, you're a good guy bro... you're the most objective fan here from what I've seen.

Well, by all means, please share with us how good you think the Bus was.

LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL oh please. I'm done with you Reign.

Wildo, you're a good guy bro... you're the most objective fan here from what I've seen.

You tell Wildo he's a good guy even though he virtually said the same thing I said

He's one of those lengevity=greatness RBs. Never really a difference maker or a gamebreaker like some other RBs but he was consistent and played forever so he has a lot of cumulative stats. I certainly never feared playing the Steelers because of Jerome Bettis.

Not much different than:

But you were right on the money with "...he was pretty good"

And don't forget, Sport Illustrated backs up my assessment;

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...enfield/060125

Okay, sure, great discussion. Of course we should have it. My only question is... what about Philip Rivers?:D

(For our visitors, you're not the first ones with the "our QB is actually better" theory. It's a joke.)

PFnV

This topic is clearly reminiscent of the Pennington/Brady debates fostered by the gangrenous Jet fans a few years back.."better numbers!!! Cerebral!!! a real leader of men!!!!"...blah blah blah..the only difference between Pennington and Rothmoth so far is one never got a chance to play in a Bowl and the other one was dragged along by the rest of his team even though he was the WORST PERFORMING QB IN SUPER BOWL HISTORY.

In a few years we'll be watching Brady being inducted into the Hall...while Steel fan watches Ben on re-runs of "Jacka$$" on cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes